"I didn't expect to get punched in the face."

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those were the words I heard spoken at the dojo last Tuesday when my neighbors across the street came by and had their first lesson. I was honestly trying to hold back laughing because it's Karate, that is a place where people hit each other obviously. The sifu talked to him and basically told him that and the way home I talked to them more about it, they seemed kind of embarrassed about it and I further elaborated. "It's like if you were to do boxing, you would expect to get punched right? I mean that is what boxers do, they punch each other, this isn't that much different."

They have yet to come back since then and honestly it is kind of disappointing. I could have really used more friends that share the same interests as me. I am honestly glad they punch me in the face, that means the training is actually more akin to being a real fight than if we were to never train with any resistance, I have also come to realize that I am much more mentally prepared to get hit when I spar now, depending on the hit I normally just shrug it off as opposed to panicking and letting it get to me. If they had just stuck around a little longer I think they would have picked up on the same thing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those were the words I heard spoken at the dojo last Tuesday when my neighbors across the street came by and had their first lesson. I was honestly trying to hold back laughing because it's Karate, that is a place where people hit each other obviously. The sifu talked to him and basically told him that and the way home I talked to them more about it, they seemed kind of embarrassed about it and I further elaborated. "It's like if you were to do boxing, you would expect to get punched right? I mean that is what boxers do, they punch each other, this isn't that much different."

They have yet to come back since then and honestly it is kind of disappointing. I could have really used more friends that share the same interests as me. I am honestly glad they punch me in the face, that means the training is actually more akin to being a real fight than if we were to never train with any resistance, I have also come to realize that I am much more mentally prepared to get hit when I spar now, depending on the hit I normally just shrug it off as opposed to panicking and letting it get to me. If they had just stuck around a little longer I think they would have picked up on the same thing.
wow punched in the face on day 1.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I would expect to get punched in the face my first day, especially if I never practiced before. I also wouldn't laugh at a friend who got punched in the face with no training or expectation that it would happen.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I would expect to get punched in the face my first day, especially if I never practiced before. I also wouldn't laugh at a friend who got punched in the face with no training or expectation that it would happen.

He saw us doing the drill on each other before it was done with him.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What kind of lightweight school do you attend? I got kicked in the nuts my first day ever training and I was only 15. The only non adult in class. I liked it :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of lightweight school do you attend? I got kicked in the nuts my first day ever training and I was only 15. The only non adult in class. I liked it :D

Was that in an actual class, or just something you did for fun?

I think sparring on Day one in a striking program is... questionable... especially with any significant level of contact.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You were laughing at someone because a beginner didn't know they were going to get hit? Some people simply don't want to go somewhere and come home with bruises. You may be fine with it because you seem to like fighting but others don't not everyone's going to be like you you know

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Punching them in the face on their very first day frankly is just stupid. I wouldn't go back if I were them and I'd probably leave if I'd seen it though not without a few words. Saying they didn't know they would be punched in the face may be naïve but no reputable place does that without giving new students a couple of skills first. Boxing doesn't punch people in the face first lesson either.
what with being punched first lesson and you laughing at it I think they would be well advised not to go back and find somewhere else to train if they haven't been put off totally.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You were laughing at someone because a beginner didn't know they were going to get hit? Some people simply don't want to go somewhere and come home with bruises. You may be fine with it because you seem to like fighting but others don't not everyone's going to be like you you know

It was pretty common sense, the drill was block a straight right punch that you knew was coming. I didn't laugh about his inability to block it, more about his reaction of being surprised he got hit in a martial arts dojo.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was that in an actual class, or just something you did for fun?
It was my actual first class. This was back in the early 70's at Jimmy Woo's Kung Fu San Soo Kwoon. It was a pretty rough group. I was thrown into the mix with adults because there wasn't any kids training there. The contact was accidental, but it was good experience. Things were different back then :). This became my "home" for many years before branching out.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I think allowing a beginner to get punched in the face on day one is just plain wrong. I understand the concept of teaching how to block quite well, but that's not the way I prefer to teach it. And my guess is that it wasn't the actual contact that will keep them away, it's a feeling of embarrassment, or something akin to it.

I don't believe I've ever been in a boxing gym that let someone get punched in the face on the first day either. Unless it was a clown looking for some action or something, certainly not a student.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was pretty common sense, the drill was block a straight right punch that you knew was coming. I didn't laugh about his inability to block it, more about his reaction of being surprised he got hit in a martial arts dojo.

If its someone with no experience then why would they expect to get hit if they don't know what it's about and anyway there are plenty of schools where you don't get punched and frankly the partner should have had more control on a person at their first class. They should've pulled the punch when they realised they weren't going to block it. Also by the way I don't know where you get your info but the majority don't get punched in their first ever boxing class either most gyms I've been to wont even let you spar until you've been there a few weeks.

And either way laughing at a beginner isn't nice how would you like it if someone laughed at you on your first class

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

And it never occurs to anybody to set the range so the guy doesn't get his nose splattered on the first day of training?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A long time ago, as an adult, I was teaching a friend the concept of blocking and I was explaining to them that blocking is a natural reaction that people do when they see something that is coming in. I thought it was100% natural that if a person sees a fist coming in, that they would naturally flinch or try to get out of the way. So I tried to trigger the reaction in my friend and he didn't block, flinch or tried to get out of the way. I was totally shocked, amazed, and puzzled at the same time. I even asked him "why didn't you try to get out of the way or try to stop the punch from hitting you." His answer was "He didn't know what to do."

He lacked the natural reflex of avoiding being hit and now that I'm thinking about it again. Standing still and being hit without making an effort to avoid being hit is probably the natural reaction for someone who has never in their life been hit before by anyone. Most kids don't understand the concept of fire burning (burning in general), electric shock, or it's hot, until they experience it. Telling a kid that something is hot means nothing if he has never experienced hot before. I think punching and getting hit may be like this for some. I remember seeing 2 babies fight (twins) and one baby would hit the other while the other baby would just sit there and take it. But after the first couple of punches the other baby would try to avoid the baby punch.

Some people only know playful punches so that's all that they have to go on when it comes to understanding punches. They don't have any real concept about the discomfort of being hit with a training punch. I'm not sure if your friend falls into this category or if my theory is accurate, but I'm pretty sure he won't look at punches the same anymore. It's probably a bad experience that will benefit him in the future. "This is what a punch feels like, don't let anyone punch you."

By the way my friend never trained with me again, so it was a lesson learned for me as well.

Latest Discussions