Drills to improve kick speed

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a thai drill called kick the bag. Where you kick a bag a bulk load of times.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are a lot of good ways to approach this. Trying to think what might be best for you, should probably go back and review the vids you were nice enough to post.

But maybe a good intro to show a desired result - do you throw a defensive sidekick?
Where you would be in stance, more probably than not a side stance. And just dare your opponent to come in? I'm not discussing whether that's a viable tactic or not, just wondering if you happen to have one in your repertoire?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You want to get faster kicks then just throw a load of kicks

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Set a timer for yourself for, say, 15 or 20 seconds, and see how many kicks you can do in that time (whatever kick you want to work on). Do this a bunch of times, trying to improve each time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After shower, don't dry your body, throw kicks until your leg is dry. The day that you can dry your leg with just 1 kick, you have fast kick.

IMO, the "correct kicking path" is more important than a fast kick. For example, it's easier to throw an "upward curve" front kick. It's not easy to throw a "downward curve" front kick. Before you kick your leg out, you have to

- raise your knee as high as you can.
- bent your knee as close to your chest as you can.
- raise your toes as high as you can.

You will require a good amount of flexibility to achieve that which is much more important than just a fast kick.

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Speed isn't really something you can brute-force, and it comes with time. Focus on good technique and in developing a smooth leg action, and over time you will naturally get faster. What a lot of people do is sacrifice technique for speed, which to me is very counter-intuitive because after all, it doesn't matter how fast you can kick if your technique is horrible. Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

A fast kick requires good flexibility and balance. Practice those aspects and you will be able to perform your kicks using less energy input.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may be wrong here, but I hear some people use ankle weights to make it harder to kick, when they take them off supposedly they kick faster and harder.

I never tried it though so I can't tell if you it works or doesn't.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I may be wrong here, but I hear some people use ankle weights to make it harder to kick, when they take them off supposedly they kick faster and harder.

You got that from Naruto, don't lie! :p

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Don't do it. I had tried that. It hurts my knee joint big time. The "weight" and "speed" don't go together.

Latest Discussions