"I didn't expect to get punched in the face."

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
And it never occurs to anybody to set the range so the guy doesn't get his nose splattered on the first day of training?

His nose isn't going to get splatted because we were not striking him with that much force. The range about far enough to barely make any contact and not follow through much.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
His nose isn't going to get splatted because we were not striking him with that much force. The range about far enough to barely make any contact and not follow through much.
It doesn't take much to make a nose bleed even a very light tap can do it. Whoever the partner was needs to learn some control

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not surprised on your friends reaction, I have visited a good amount of dojos and no one punches to face first visit on first day.
The reason for this is you don't know that person on the mat and how they will react.
Even people with prior experience you don't punch to the face uintil you know their level.
In my opinion it's disrespectful, bad form, and reckless, also from a business perspective bad for retaining new students.
Personally, if you were my friend and laughed at me after I properly not hang out with you anymore

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll tell a story that happen to me about visiting a karate dojo, I walked in and was invited to practice with them, I did with a senior student to learn and understand their way of doing things. I was having a conversation with the student and the teacher walked up behind me and placed his hand on my stomach and behind my back and and just squeezed the air out of me it was a pure dick move and his comment was something along the lines be prepared for anything and be condition I said thank you for your time and left, as a prospective student I felt it was a terrible school to learn from and this thread does remind me of a similar type of behavior

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to make a nose bleed even a very light tap can do it. Whoever the partner was needs to learn some control

He was hit in the jaw in the first place. Nothing broken or hurt badly, just surprised.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the one hand, getting hit in the face will be a reality either in the class room or in a street fight.

On the other, hitting the face on the first day...yikes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He was hit in the jaw in the first place. Nothing broken or hurt badly, just surprised.
Was the other guy surprised that he was actually able to hit him? I ask this question because at my school we do certain drills where we know that our punch is going to be block. The only thing the puncher has to focus on is punching directly at the face so that the person is actually at risk of being hit in the face if they miss the block. It's rare that a punch gets through because the other student knows it's coming. The only time it doesn't work like that is when the student isn't paying attention.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I expected to get punched in the face and i wasn't dissapointed.

Look. There are plenty of things i think martial arts gets wrong.

I have never been a big fan of demos where you give the perfect feed and then your partner tees off on you.

Or where you torture someone in sparring that you dont have to. (if they have a fight coming up i am Torquemada but that is specific)

But there circumstances where a guy might get punched in the face on the first day.

As my mate said when i knee dropped on his foot shooting for a takedown it isn't ballet.

Exept of course ballet probably take more injuries training.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I expected to get punched in the face and i wasn't dissapointed.

Look. There are plenty of things i think martial arts gets wrong.

I have never been a big fan of demos where you give the perfect feed and then your partner tees off on you.

Or where you torture someone in sparring that you dont have to. (if they have a fight coming up i am Torquemada but that is specific)

But there circumstances where a guy might get punched in the face on the first day.

As my mate said when i knee dropped on his foot shooting for a takedown it isn't ballet.

Exept of course ballet probably take more injuries training.

Yeah I love this place because we do drills where we can get attacked with anything and we have to block and counter attack, the goal is to get your attacker on the ground. This drill was cake compared to that because one, you know the type of punch, and you know where it is aimed, the only variable is how quick the person is going to throw it and when.

There was class today and he or his brother weren't there, so I guess it's safe to say they won't be coming back. That's a shame but it is what it is.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may punch towards a student's face on the first day, but it is going to be very slow and very controlled so that they don't get hurt. They're as new as you can get, the last thing they need is to become afraid of training. Notice how well this approach of "jump in, get punched" worked...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I may punch towards a student's face on the first day, but it is going to be very slow and very controlled so that they don't get hurt. They're as new as you can get, the last thing they need is to become afraid of training. Notice how well this approach of "jump in, get punched" worked...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It also shows ironbears neighbours that the students have no control

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
by the way speaking of first day stories. we had a couple who rolled on their first day. (boyfriend and girlfriend) which went pretty much straight from the ground where they were supposed to be, to standing where the boyfriend basically suplexed his missus.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kind of lightweight school do you attend? I got kicked in the nuts my first day ever training and I was only 15. The only non adult in class. I liked it :D
I think, and I maybe wrong, that there is a contextual difference. In your case accidents happen... eg. You are doing a drill, the instructor says to the "new kids", "kick to the thigh" and someone zigs when they should have zagged. Then you have the case where the target is the nuts (face) and the "new kid" who just learned the drill (and/or because the "aggressor" lacked control skill) gets "drilled."

Like I said I might be wrong is assuming how you got your "wake up call" and not quite understood how the person got slugged as the OP describes, but that is my takeaway at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It also shows ironbears neighbours that the students have no control

I know the guy who did it, it was very controlled, no injury occurred. I really am not understanding why people are so turned off by this, yeah I get it's the first day but it is first day of Martial Arts training, not first day of chess or interpretive dance.

To be honest I have been hit much harder than that and the next chance I had I blocked it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think, and I maybe wrong, that there is a contextual difference. In your case accidents happen... eg. You are doing a drill, the instructor says to the "new kids", "kick to the thigh" and someone zigs when they should have zagged. Then you have the case where the target is the nuts (face) and the "new kid" who just learned the drill (and/or because the "aggressor" lacked control skill) gets "drilled."

Like I said I might be wrong is assuming how you got your "wake up call" and not quite understood how the person got slugged as the OP describes, but that is my takeaway at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Actually, I don't think it was an accident. I was a teenager with an attitude (now an adult with an attitude, lol) that was allowed to join a Kung Fu San Soo org that didn't normally accept minors. These were advanced practitioners, and I think I was given my "initiation" :)
It was a good thing. By the end of that first class I felt like I was in the right place. The beginning of many years of training. It changed my outlook and kept me out of trouble that I might have gotten into during my teen years.
This was in the 70's. Things were different back then.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the guy who did it, it was very controlled, no injury occurred. I really am not understanding why people are so turned off by this, yeah I get it's the first day but it is first day of Martial Arts training, not first day of chess or interpretive dance.

To be honest I have been hit much harder than that and the next chance I had I blocked it.
That's because you like fighting other people do not and doing martial arts doesn't mean you have to get hit at all. Some people don't want to be hit and you saying its martial arts not chess or dance that shows that you'd make an awful teacher because a teacher needs to understand everyone's needs not just their own and the fact you don't understand why people aren't ok with that shows your ignorance on it. You like fighting so you don't mind it other people hate fighting and have never been hit In their life. In martial arts you build it all up not just getting a random smack your not expecting on the first day

Latest Discussions