Hand and foot arrive at the same time, or foot arrive first and hand arrive later?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Kung Fu Wang, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JadeDragon

JadeDragon Yellow Belt

With Two section and Three Sectional staffs and Nunchakus, the bottom section starts first and continues the action as it passes the energy from one section to the other; increasing energy as it goes toward the tip.

In the body the first section is the feet stepping and legs, the second section is the body, the third section the hands and arms.

Stepping first before a punch, utilizes these principles.

2. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Sorry, but with your descriptions and analogies so far all you've managed to do is demonstrate a massive lack of knowledge on the subject of physics, so name dropping Newton now just makes you look a bit silly.

And with that, I'm out of this discussion - it's turning into playing chess with a pigeon.

3. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I agree you can make good power by stepping and "setting up" for a punch however you are telegraphing your move. It may not be immediately apparent you are throwing a punch but the footwork shows that something is coming. It is harder not to preempt the step with a haymaker.

4. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

Not always. My footwork can show that something is coming, if I want it to, or it can not. And I always keep my foot on the ground before I throw, and 'twist' for power. Once the throw is started, it's generally obvious that a punch is coming, but that's true of any punch. The footwork will not (always) give it away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I think awareness of the step get lost in the heat of throwing punches. That and most people don't pay attention to their opponent's footwork. I'm aware of footwork only because I seek to exploit bad footwork and root. But most people don't do this, most people only see the chest up when fighting. Muay Thai and BJJ are probably more aware but other than that. I don't think most people pay attention to if someone is stepping or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Examples of step first then punch in boxing. You will see that sometimes the step before the punch isn't even in the field of vision. When this happens there is no telegraph even if you are looking for it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I was wondering if anyone has ever actually put a stopwatch on the various footwork of punches. Bad form excluded, the difference is likely insignificant. So the question comes down to power? And intent with the footwork? But to narrow the discussion to stay on topic, I feel a punch timed with the step will always be harder than a step and punch if all the other body work is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JadeDragon

JadeDragon Yellow Belt

Good riddance, I do not waste my time with punks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. pdg

pdg Senior Master

I like you, you're funny.

10. Grenadier

Grenadier Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Admin's Note:

Keep it civil, and on-topic. Some of you are treading close to getting hit with warning points.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JadeDragon

JadeDragon Yellow Belt

Well put. Good examples.

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

Agreed on all counts. The first method accords with George Silver's writings on "True Time" in 1598. Essentially, any attack where the hand precedes the body is true time (and preferred), and any attack where the body precedes the hand is false time (and cautioned against). While designed for weapon combat, they can be applied to boxing as well to a lesser degree. Extreme examples of false time in are seen in strikers who lead with the face. Remember Takanori Gomi?

13. Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Wha?

14. Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I would say your timing is right. Punching before the foot lands, utilizes your body weight behind the punch.

15. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

It's a speed vs. power trade off issue.

If a mosquito flies in front of you, your hand will move out first. Your hand then pull your arm, and your arm then pull your body. Your hand lead your body.

If you push a car, your legs will push on the ground. The counter force then push your legs, go through your body, arm, and reach to your hand. Your body lead your hand.123