What do you wish you could do more in class?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are the things in your martial arts classes you wish you could do more, but can't? Those things you get to do every once in a while that are a real treat when you get to do them.

For me, in my Taekwondo class, it's 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 sparring. I actually think I'm better against 2 or 3 (the inverse ninja rule is real) and I love the strategy of trying to isolate my opponents and pick them apart. I've never done 4-on-1, and 5-on-1 is a bit too much, but 3-on-1 is my absolute favorite.

The only problem is we do sparring against multiple opponents probably once every 5 months on average.

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What are the things in your martial arts classes you wish you could do more, but can't? Those things you get to do every once in a while that are a real treat when you get to do them.

For me, in my Taekwondo class, it's 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 sparring. I actually think I'm better against 2 or 3 (the inverse ninja rule is real) and I love the strategy of trying to isolate my opponents and pick them apart. I've never done 4-on-1, and 5-on-1 is a bit too much, but 3-on-1 is my absolute favorite.

The only problem is we do sparring against multiple opponents probably once every 5 months on average.

Our Kung fu school is nice and regular with sparring. I would love to do more gymnastic type work. Flips and tricks are less practical, but gymnastics looks fun. I think TKD does more of that, though I'm guessing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd like longer classes too - but I think we're in the minority...

On Mondays we have an open class for an hour which leads straight in to the 5th kup and above class. Obviously the lower grades only do the first bit, but a surprising (to me) amount of higher grades only turn up for the second bit.

Tell them it's a 1.5-2 hour class and I think most wouldn't show...

The other thing I'd like to do more of is breaking - but I understand the logistics that make that difficult.

Oh, and more theory would be good - because I'm strange and I enjoy it ;)

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score

Basics drills.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm that is a good one, Pretty much happy with my training. However with BJJ more drills, With Wrestling try work on Basics more than advanced techniques. Muay Thai I really Im happy with my Kru (Coach) and Class I train with.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah cool question!

On Mondays we have an open class for an hour which leads straight in to the 5th kup and above class. Obviously the lower grades only do the first bit, but a surprising (to me) amount of higher grades only turn up for the second bit.

The other thing I'd like to do more of is breaking - but I understand the logistics that make that difficult.

Haha pretty similar to you pdg (and others), longer classes for sure. Also breaking and theory I'd love to do more of! Even going more into philosophical/spiritual aspects of martial arts, but I guess not everyone is there for that reason.

Kata too I'd love to do more of.

It's always a bit of a tradeoff for the instructor isn't it? It's hard to incorporate more of something that only 5-10% of the students are interested in.. although bringing it into everyone's awareness might elicit more interest from others.

And although am in between styles still, I'm going to have to remember that the style I move into most likely won't offer absolutely everything I am after, and to not be too nitpicky when deciding!

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our Kung fu school is nice and regular with sparring. I would love to do more gymnastic type work. Flips and tricks are less practical, but gymnastics looks fun. I think TKD does more of that, though I'm guessing.

Depends on the TKD school. Some may be focused on kata, others on olympic-style sparring, others on more traditional combat. If they're demonstration-focused or focused on gym-taek, then you might see more of the gymnastics type work.

There is a certain class you can take to do more gymnastics stuff....gymnastics. Of course, most of that is going to be rings and bars which is all upper body strength, and not the cartwheels and flips you're probably looking for.

Train...as in have classes last longer.

I agree, but that's hard for my school. We're already packed in our schedule as it is. We have 10 different classes for different age/belt that meet twice a week, 2 all-kids classes, 1 all-adult class, and 3 classes for special clubs (the all-belt classes and clubs are on Friday-Saturday). That doesn't leave a lot of time for others.

Just charge people extra to pay for the boards. If I did a breaking class we would do some with the wrist pads, some with re-breakable boards, and some with actual boards to keep costs down.

Basics drills.

I've actually thought it would be nice to have a class that focuses on the basics at my school. Of course, when we can find that time is beyond me.

It's always a bit of a tradeoff for the instructor isn't it? It's hard to incorporate more of something that only 5-10% of the students are interested in.. although bringing it into everyone's awareness might elicit more interest from others.

There's that, but there's also the curriculum. If you're teaching a striking art, most of the class might be interested in things like how to apply a proper chokehold, but you can't really focus too much class time on it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just charge people extra to pay for the boards. If I did a breaking class we would do some with the wrist pads, some with re-breakable boards, and some with actual boards to keep costs down.

We have rebreakable boards, which I don't mind at all - but it's not the cost I was on about.

By logistics I meant the organisational side of it - getting enough breaks per person to make it worthy of being called practice.

Last time we did it, in an hour class, we got like 2 setups each - and a bunch of standing in line...

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a certain class you can take to do more gymnastics stuff....gymnastics. Of course, most of that is going to be rings and bars which is all upper body strength, and not the cartwheels and flips you're probably looking for.

Is it floor exercise you're thinking of?

No rings, no bars, just the floor - you can take classes specifically in that discipline ;)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it floor exercise you're thinking of?

No rings, no bars, just the floor - you can take classes specifically in that discipline ;)

Well when I was a kid I wanted to learn that stuff and was told that's for girls. Then they had me working on rings and palma horse, which as a skinny kid who grew up with a trampoline, I was all legs and no arms.

I wish I had known what tricking/parkour was when I was a kid. That I would have been into.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I always felt breaking was something a person had to take on themselves. I cannot count the hours I spent behind our house breaking stuff. It teach you the correct way to strike really quick. Hit the boards with the wrong part of the hand and you will know it right away

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah cool question!

Haha pretty similar to you pdg (and others), longer classes for sure. Also breaking and theory I'd love to do more of! Even going more into philosophical/spiritual aspects of martial arts, but I guess not everyone is there for that reason.

Kata too I'd love to do more of.

And although am in between styles still, I'm going to have to remember that the style I move into most likely won't offer absolutely everything I am after, and to not be too nitpicky when deciding!

It is up to the instructor how personally involved they want to get in someone's advancement. I remember many nights asking a student to stay late so we could work on something.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always felt breaking was something a person had to take on themselves. I cannot count the hours I spent behind our house breaking stuff. It teach you the correct way to strike really quick. Hit the boards with the wrong part of the hand and you will know it right away

Yes and no, a bit...

I don't mind doing stuff at home, it gives a level of flexibility (types of exercise) and amount of time that just isn't practical in a class setting.

But, considering breaking is something that's a part of certain grading exams and is also a competition event, I don't feel it's sufficiently covered in class.

Padwork is fine as a substitute to a point, but if you miss by a few inches against a kick shield nobody will notice - miss a board centreline by a few inches and you might be hitting the holder/frame...

There's also the in-class competitive element, which makes it differently fun.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and no, a bit...

I don't mind doing stuff at home, it gives a level of flexibility (types of exercise) and amount of time that just isn't practical in a class setting.

But, considering breaking is something that's a part of certain grading exams and is also a competition event, I don't feel it's sufficiently covered in class.

Padwork is fine as a substitute to a point, but if you miss by a few inches against a kick shield nobody will notice - miss a board centreline by a few inches and you might be hitting the holder/frame...

There's also the in-class competitive element, which makes it differently fun.

For Gup grading I like the unknown and anxious element of a student not knowing what their break for testing will be within a given range of techniques. It add to the mental growth, confidence building, and just makes testing mean more. In class we would put our chest protectors on and practice breaking techniques to work on mechanics and to get familiar with the feeling of resistance. I always admire how some kids never fear hitting a board while some can't seem to get past that fear. Same is true for adults, but if you walk them through the mechanics with an element of firm resistance that doesn't hurry much and explain the importance of the mechanics and speed they can usually focus on that and push back the anxiety factor.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the TKD school. Some may be focused on kata, others on olympic-style sparring, others on more traditional combat. If they're demonstration-focused or focused on gym-taek, then you might see more of the gymnastics type work.

I agree, but that's hard for my school. We're already packed in our schedule as it is. We have 10 different classes for different age/belt that meet twice a week, 2 all-kids classes, 1 all-adult class, and 3 classes for special clubs (the all-belt classes and clubs are on Friday-Saturday). That doesn't leave a lot of time for others.

I've actually thought it would be nice to have a class that focuses on the basics at my school. Of course, when we can find that time is beyond me.

There's that, but there's also the curriculum. If you're teaching a striking art, most of the class might be interested in things like how to apply a proper chokehold, but you can't really focus too much class time on it.

I like how you reply to post using different posts, or part of the same post and answering in line. How do you do that?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For Gup grading I like the unknown and anxious element of a student not knowing what their break for testing will be within a given range of techniques. It add to the mental growth, confidence building, and just makes testing mean more. In class we would put our chest protectors on and practice breaking techniques to work on mechanics and to get familiar with the feeling of resistance. I always admire how some kids never fear hitting a board while some can't seem to get past that fear. Same is true for adults, but if you walk them through the mechanics with an element of firm resistance that doesn't hurry much and explain the importance of the mechanics and speed they can usually focus on that and push back the anxiety factor.
Oh yea, never hit the board, hit 3 inches past the board.

Latest Discussions