Hand-foot coordination

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you believe that the hand-foot coordination may be the most important MA guideline? This way, you can make 4 limbs actions into only 2 actions, cut the complexity into 1/2.

Of course in fighting, all situations may happen. But in training, is there a situation that you may move your hand and

- not move your foot, or the other way around?
- foot, but both are not coordinated?

Also what's the reason for doing so? Of course you may punch without moving your foot, or kick without moving your hand. But do you try to coordinate in your mind any way.

Your thought?

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is said "when the hand moves the feet move" as in the end result of long term training. Singular training of hand or foot would be to perfect an individual techniques, which I do from time to time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you believe that the hand-foot coordination may be the most important MA guideline? This way, you can make 4 limbs actions into only 2 actions, cut the complexity into 1/2.

Of course in fighting, all situations may happen. But in training, is there a situation that you may move your hand and

Also what's the reason for doing so? Of course you may punch without moving your foot, or kick without moving your hand. But do you try to coordinate in your mind any way.

Your thought?

"- not move your foot, or the other way around?"
Yes. I might move my feet but not my hands when I'm just controlling distance. I might move my hands, but not my feet, when no movement is necessary (jab when I'm already at a near-perfect distance, perhaps, or changing positions in a clinch, etc.).

"- foot, but both are not coordinated?"
That would depend how we define "coordinated". There can be times my hands are moving toward, and my feet are moving away, but I'd still want those movements to be coordinated - I shouldn't be surprised when I reach for them that I have to reach further forward if I'm stepping back. So I'd have a hard time defining a time when the movements aren't coordinated, but remain useful, unless those opposing directions are what you mean.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Your thought?

Yes, it is equally if not more important than hand/eye, by my reconning, even if you never throw a kick in your life!

Your foot placement controls angles and distance, which is a pretty important factor, and as @seasoned mentioned already, foot and hand movement should be connected.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your thought?

There are some combos we will throw out which use the same hand for the combo, such as an elbow followed by a chop, or a reverse punch followed by a backfist. I can also see a block and strike with the same hand as not using footwork. I tend to look at what I need to do (for example, a reverse punch and backfist both need my strong shoulder and hips to be towards the target).

Similarly, there are many points in TKD forms where strikes are being made from a front stance or horse stance, and there isn't much movement for the shoulders, hips, or legs. In that case, you are focused on having the proper stance for your technique.

There's also a lot of things in both my Hapkido and Taekwondo training where I will move one leg and attack with the other hand. The two happen together, but it's not as simple as step and punch with the same arm.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's also a lot of things in both my Hapkido and Taekwondo training where I will move one leg and attack with the other hand. The two happen together, but it's not as simple as step and punch with the same arm.
In my training, if I coordinate the

- different side (such as left foot with right arm), I'm just doing my set up (such as step in left back foot with right hook punch).
- same side (such as left foot with left arm), I'm committed on that move (such as left hand push the neck, left leg hook the leg).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start to move at the same time. Also stop at the same time. The direction doesn't matter.
In that case, yes, there are many situations where the hands and feet start and stop at different times. An entry move to a jab is an easy example. The foot movement starts before the hands, then the hands start at or about the time the foot lands, then the hands finish a bit later. With something like a hip throw, hands and feet start about the same time, but the hands have a longer task.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my training, if I coordinate the

- different side (such as left foot with right arm), I'm just doing my set up (such as step in left back foot with right hook punch).
- same side (such as left foot with left arm), I'm committed on that move (such as left hand push the neck, left leg hook the leg).
I'm trying to decide if that's useful as a general rule. I can certainly think of exceptions in grappling (one leg steps across, while the opposite hand is controlling for the throw), but I'm trying to decide if there are enough of them to make the rule invalid. Offhand, I don't think there are.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an example. In the hip throw solo training, the hands and feet stop at the same time.

If you include the "hop" at the end, they do. Without the hop (my preferred version), there's a big difference in their timing. Even including the timing, the legs have two different tasks (enter, then hop). Each is out of sync with the longer motion of the hands.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you include the "hop" at the end, they do. Without the hop (my preferred version), there's a big difference in their timing. Even including the timing, the legs have two different tasks (enter, then hop). Each is out of sync with the longer motion of the hands.
Enter - make hip contact on your opponent's belly. Your left hand control your opponent's left arm. Your right hand wrap around his waist. The throw has not started yet.
Hop - use the hip to strike on opponent's belly. The throw is finished here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enter - make hip contact on your opponent's belly. Your left hand control your opponent's left arm. Your right hand wrap around his waist. The throw has not started yet.
Hop - use the hip to strike on opponent's belly. The throw is finished here.
Okay, I would classify it differently, but I can see that way, too. But we're still back to if you leave out the hop, the legs don't have the same timing as the hands. My preferred approach (not always achievable) has the feet staying where they are at that point.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, I would classify it differently, but I can see that way, too. But we're still back to if you leave out the hop, the legs don't have the same timing as the hands. My preferred approach (not always achievable) has the feet staying where they are at that point.
Agree that if you use waist lifting (instead of hip striking), you don't need to hop.

Latest Discussions