A Fight Broke Out Today

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
While I was at lunch. My school is divided into two courtyards, separated by a small hallway. My friends and I were sitting in the left courtyard, eating our lunch when suddenly a milk carton fell from the sky and splattered all over a friend of mine. She was furious and demanded to know who was responsible. After doing some looking around, we figured out it had been thrown over the hallway, so she let it go, assuming it was an accident, until she saw a guy standing at the window, pointing and laughing at her. Then one of his friends came over and told us that he was the one that threw it. She tore out towards his courtyard to "even the score" and I was sent after her to try and reel her back.

When I arrived, however, she had already dumped her drink on him and he, in retaliation, was throwing another milk carton at her. When she hit him in the chest, he proceeded to try and hit her, so I got in the way and moved his hand into the wall (causing him to squeal out in pain.)

When he got over that little pain, he tried to hit me, so I moved out of the way, pulling my friend with me, making it seem like I was cowering. Once she was safely out of the way, he came again and I ducked and moved, leaving my right foot for him to trip, and after he did I kicked him in the back of the shin, forcing him to the ground. His friend then decided to come up and try to punch me, so I ducked out of the way in a sort of cowering position, but really I was setting up for an elbow to his solar plexus (which worked out perfectly). The first guy was getting up, but fortunately a friend of mine arrived with his scary words of "Don't ********** touch him" which stopped them long enough for the police to arrive and pull us apart.

When I explained to them that I was just trying to get my friend out of the way of getting hit, and everything that happened after that was an accident, they told me it was okay, to tell them next time, and not take so many risks, because next time I might not get so lucky. No punishment at all because no one believed anything I did was conscious, even the kick looked like a misstep.

So I went to my class and was met with a thousand questions about what happened until someone decided to talk down to me, telling me I looked like an idiot, thinking I could do something.

I guess this is sort of me tooting my own horn, but I kind of want to know if anybody else has ever been in a situation like this, where they LOOKED like they were just flailing around but actually coordinated their movements.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If this happened and you told the police that your actions were the result of accidental responses on your part you may want to carefully consider the wisdom of going on an internet forum and admitting to making a false statement to a law enforcement officer and hiding your participation in a criminal assault.

-Rob

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
While I was at lunch. My school is divided into two courtyards, separated by a small hallway. My friends and I were sitting in the left courtyard, eating our lunch when suddenly a milk carton fell from the sky and splattered all over a friend of mine. She was furious and demanded to know who was responsible. After doing some looking around, we figured out it had been thrown over the hallway, so she let it go, assuming it was an accident, until she saw a guy standing at the window, pointing and laughing at her. Then one of his friends came over and told us that he was the one that threw it. She tore out towards his courtyard to "even the score" and I was sent after her to try and reel her back.

When I arrived, however, she had already dumped her drink on him and he, in retaliation, was throwing another milk carton at her. When she hit him in the chest, he proceeded to try and hit her, so I got in the way and moved his hand into the wall (causing him to squeal out in pain.)

When he got over that little pain, he tried to hit me, so I moved out of the way, pulling my friend with me, making it seem like I was cowering. Once she was safely out of the way, he came again and I ducked and moved, leaving my right foot for him to trip, and after he did I kicked him in the back of the shin, forcing him to the ground. His friend then decided to come up and try to punch me, so I ducked out of the way in a sort of cowering position, but really I was setting up for an elbow to his solar plexus (which worked out perfectly). The first guy was getting up, but fortunately a friend of mine arrived with his scary words of "Don't ********** touch him" which stopped them long enough for the police to arrive and pull us apart.

When I explained to them that I was just trying to get my friend out of the way of getting hit, and everything that happened after that was an accident, they told me it was okay, to tell them next time, and not take so many risks, because next time I might not get so lucky. No punishment at all because no one believed anything I did was conscious, even the kick looked like a misstep.

So I went to my class and was met with a thousand questions about what happened until someone decided to talk down to me, telling me I looked like an idiot, thinking I could do something.

I guess this is sort of me tooting my own horn, but I kind of want to know if anybody else has ever been in a situation like this, where they LOOKED like they were just flailing around but actually coordinated their movements.

Well done, but things like this you wanna stay quiet on until *after* any potential legal issues are finished or forestalled.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I always look like I am totally awesome and undefeatable when fighting but the miserable truth of the matter is that I am just flailing about having no control whatsoever and without a clue as to what is going on.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, I've actually been in a class where one of the senior black belts was describing exactly how to do something like this to avoid getting in a fight (at least, from any bystander's point of view) while still making the bully/instigator hurt himself and feel pretty dumb about it later. Not that he, I, or anyone I know would ever endorse this kind of thing, of course.

Agree with the other posters... might want to try and keep this one to yourself, at least until everything has well and truly blown over.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm can't say I've ever been in a real fight. a couple of my friends tried to throw me in a cold shower and I broke out of it... they havn't tried to grab me again yet and i didn't even hurt them because I accidently came out of it into a backwards roll that left me in fire stance (which is im my mind the most intimidaing stance in to-shin do)

So I can't say anything about how you looked. but I heavily congratulate you on defending your friend. actually it was the desire to beable to defend those close to me if the situation ever arose that drove me to joining martial arts in the first place

anyways my 2 cents is, maybe they thought you looked stupid. but you weren't the one that got beat up and neither did your friend and there is nothing stupid about that.

ahh cool i just checked out your in ninjutsu? what kind? I thought the way you described the fight sounded familiar.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
She tore out towards his courtyard to "even the score" and I was sent after her to try and reel her back.

The only threat you protected your friend from was her own bad judgment and temper. From your own account, no one was hurt and there were no life-altering consequences.

On one level, it's pretty typical teen stuff to get caught up in the moment. However, people love to 'settle the score'... again and again, which is what worries school staff. I'd call it a wash and walk away.

You, your friend and whoever initiated the milking are on the radar. Teachers are there to teach, and they're not paid or trained to break up fights, and they will tire of listening to the drama. Count yourself lucky, tell your friend you won't back up her impulsiveness again, and pick your battles a little more carefully.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
After something like this there will be a thousand distorted stories about what happened and you will look stupid in half of them. Who cares, if this is your biggest problem now you were lucky indeed.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with the sentiment of sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....until everything blows over, anyway...

Don't let it get out too much, either, just incase you come acoss the same kind of situation in the future. If someone knows that you know what you're doing, then they may approach you more cautiously and/or more aggressively.

Keep it under your hat....people seem to have more respect a quiet person who carries themselves like they know what they're doing vs. a person who knows what they're doing and tells everyone that they know what they're doing.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems like you get in some fights.

You might want to consider either a better class of friends, or a better approach to conflict resolution.

Fighting is dangerous. Even self defense is at best a less than optimal necessity.

-Rob

OP
Shinobi Teikiatsu

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I go to a dangerous school, we have a mini gang-war that just broke out so now we're pretty much on lockdown.

And Raynac, I'm studying Budo Taijutsu.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I go to a dangerous school, we have a mini gang-war that just broke out so now we're pretty much on lockdown.

And Raynac, I'm studying Budo Taijutsu.

I teach at a high school that, although in a poor, mostly minority neighborhood, is not particularly dangerous. Nevertheless, if there's any kind of fight, all parties involved usually get a minimum ten day suspension. Unless you totally get jumped and don't fight back. And a ten-day off campus suspension can really set you back in your coursework. The latest kid in one of my classes to get himself in that situation just dropped out, since he got too far behind to catch up. My advice. Learn what any adult with a decent job has to learn. Don't get caught fighting. Unless you are ready to face assault charges, lawsuits, and... if it happens on the job, getting fired!

Incidentally, the only time something like what you described happened in my class, I took the two yobs outside and explained the consequences of fighting to them (if I had to report it). Miraculously, they suddenly agreed, in writing, that it wasn't a fight after all, just horseplay, and no harm was done. They also cleaned my room for a week (the ceramics studio) and that was the end of it.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
I teach at a high school that, although in a poor, mostly minority neighborhood, is not particularly dangerous. Nevertheless, if there's any kind of fight, all parties involved usually get a minimum ten day suspension. Unless you totally get jumped and don't fight back. And a ten-day off campus suspension can really set you back in your coursework. The latest kid in one of my classes to get himself in that situation just dropped out, since he got too far behind to catch up. My advice. Learn what any adult with a decent job has to learn. Don't get caught fighting. Unless you are ready to face assault charges, lawsuits, and... if it happens on the job, getting fired!

They dropped out... isn't the first goal in school to educate the students... ten days is a bit harsh, what if they were just defending themselfs.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can usually figure out from the situation whether it was actually self-defense or not. But most of the time fighting is a two-way street in some form or another like the original post situation where one person thought that a violent response was appropriate and her friend stepped in to defend her after she started the physical confrontation. In schools, these kind of situations are much, much more common than true self-defese situations.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
If this happened and you told the police that your actions were the result of accidental responses on your part you may want to carefully consider the wisdom of going on an internet forum and admitting to making a false statement to a law enforcement officer and hiding your participation in a criminal assault.
-Rob

Assuming this situation really happened like this guy says what makes you think that admitting what he did would make it's way back to the law enforcment agency that came to investigate this incedent? How many people know this guys real name anyways and actually knows where this all happened at? A person could admit to a minor crime on this forum and more than likely it would go unreported to anyone. Not very many people know each others real FULL name on this forum. I could say I started a fight at a bar last night and lied to the police about everything but who here really knows my full name, where I live, and at which bar I was at last night? It's not going to make it back to my local police station that I lied. Come on guys/gals......lets be realistic here.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They dropped out... isn't the first goal in school to educate the students... ten days is a bit harsh, what if they were just defending themselfs.

Yeah, the rule is a bit harsh, arbitrary, and sometimes unfair. If you can prove you were just trying to defend yourself and get away, the administrators will take that into consideration. But generally, it's a tough sell. Kinda like the real world, eh? Anyway, I work in a big district, and my opinions on these things don't matter for squat. Thems the rules.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming this situation really happened like this guy says what makes you think that admitting what he did would make it's way back to the law enforcment agency that came to investigate this incedent? How many people know this guys real name anyways and actually knows where this all happened at? A person could admit to a minor crime on this forum and more than likely it would go unreported to anyone. Not very many people know each others real FULL name on this forum. I could say I started a fight at a bar last night and lied to the police about everything but who here really knows my full name, where I live, and at which bar I was at last night? It's not going to make it back to my local police station that I lied. Come on guys/gals......lets be realistic here.
Actually, in cases involving juveniles especially, many detectives routinely will check the web, especially social networking sites. It's not hard to move from there to message board activity in many cases.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

When I was in high school I was attacked in the hall by your standard bully. I got kicked, pushed, and punched in the nose, which sprayed blood everywhere.

Instead of fighting back, I went straight to the office thinking, I haven't done anything, this guy is screwed.

Instead we both got the same three day suspension out of school. Didn't matter that I didn't hit back or start it. Didn't matter that I was covered in blood and he wasn't. My parents were told that fighting is fighting. The school administrators can't be seen to play favorites or judge the situation. Zero tolerance.

It isn't based on logic, or reason. It's a static beaurocratic response to a dynamic situation. Just like all government actions.

Besides, you don't really think the government schools are interested in educating the students do you? Really? I mean, sure, some of the teachers are, but the schools?

Really?

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't think law enforcement would ever hear about this. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to go around telling people in a public forum that you lied to them.

Most likely, you're right. That doesn't make it a good idea.

-Rob

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Besides, you don't really think the government schools are interested in educating the students do you? Really? I mean, sure, some of the teachers are, but the schools?

Really?

I guess the question is, what is that the gov't schools are interested in?

Your point is not lost on me -- there is a lack of apparent logic, but the reality is schools have to be hypervigilant where safety is a concern. An amazing amount of time and effort are invested in fighting lawsuits in schools nowadays. Additionally, some schools will pull kids for a few weeks, to prevent retaliation while tempers are still high. As a teacher, I have to assume that a fist fight can turn into a knife fight.

Latest Discussions