Five Martial Arts Principles

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you guys realized he's a troll yet? My bet is a high schooler sick with the flu.

Sad thing is that I don't think he is a troll, especially when he appears to be the only person getting angrier with each post. Definitely young and inexperienced at dealing with confrontation but not a troll.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember when I was 12 and watched Van Damm and seagal movies and believed I knew it all.

I was still less insufferable than this guy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful.

Jks9199
MT Administrator

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you post a video and people critique it, and you disagree, defend yourself.
Hopefully, you also try to learn from their disagreement. If someone says there's a structural issue with a throw, and you just decide they are wrong without trying to understand their point, you might as well have kept the video to yourself - it's doing neither you nor anyone else any good.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Keep it civil and clean, folks. Warning points have already been handed out, and further such disruptive behavior will result in more points that will lead a ban.

-G

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
you can't take a van off the suspension with out a spanner, you can most certainly and,with ease raise a,van body 4inches taking out the,suspension sag. The artical said,she had no idea how high she lifted it as nobody was measuring, you don't read your own links, which is possibly why you have little idea that they don't,agree with you

When Fear Makes Us Superhuman

"
"There's no way I could lift that car right now," he says.

Boyle, it should be pointed out, is no pantywaist. He carries 280 pounds on a six-foot-four-inch frame. But think about this: The heaviest barbell that Boyle ever dead-lifted weighed 700 pounds. The world record is 1,008 pounds. A stock Camaro weighs 3,000 pounds. Even factoring leverage, something extraordinary was going on that night.
"
Experienced deadlifter states he wouldn't be able to lift it in a non-crisis scenario.
"
Under conditions of competition a trained athlete can improve as much as 12 percent above that figure. Zatsiorsky calls this higher level of performance "competitive maximum strength." This parameter is not a fixed number—the more intense the competition, the higher it can go, as the brain's fear centers progressively remove any restraint against performance."
Vladimir Zatsiorsky, a professor of kinesiology at Penn State who has extensively studied the biomechanics of weightlifting, states that as the competition or fear increases, one's strength increases.
"
But under intense pressure—whether it's a bodybuilding competition, a kid trapped under a car, or an attacking bear—you just won't feel that pain. The body pulls out all the stops and lets you turn up the dial up to "11". You don't feel the ache of your muscles. You don't feel the pain. You just do what needs to be done."

You really need to grow up and learn to communicate. Seriously.

And stop trying to sound tough and experienced. You sound childish when you do that.

Life isn't about appearances. A forum about fighting, martial arts, shouldn't be so ridiculously contradicting the reality and spirit of fighting, or improving in martial arts. Calm conversation is akin to armchair philosophy. There's plenty of talk and assumptions. There needs to be more confrontation if you want to get the mill wheel turning and grind out something authentic. Equilibrium and "being reasonable and mature" is the opposite of the dynamic tension necessary. That's the reality of it.

Wow, there is so much wrong here I don't know where to start. Sigh, here we go.

1. Dictionary definition of professional: "engaged in a specified activity as one's main occupation rather than as an amateur"

2. There are many ways to show competence in Martial Arts, and the ability to beat someone to a pulp is just 1 of them.

3. You know nothing about my instructor, how he teaches or what he says to me, so please stop making stupid ignorant assumptions.

4. Fighting comes in many forms and is just a very small aspect of Martial Arts. If you don't understand that concept I suggest you start listening to others instead of insulting them.

5. I never claimed to be a blackbelt and in fact the system I practice doesn't even have a regular belt ranking system. You get a red sash when you pass your first grading and that is it. Everyone is treated the same under the instructor.

6. If you haven't figured it out already, the belt rank under our names is just for showing how many posts you have made on this forum. In essence is means nothing.

7. "Try to develop some grit" is very tough talk for someone hidden behind a computer screen. Why not put your money where your mouth is and post a video of yourself. Show us "amateurs" how it's done and lead by example instead of badmouthing everyone who replies to you. If you can't do that then don't expect other people to do it either.

8. Do you even realise how stupid you sound right now? I don't go onto internet forums looking for a fight. I come here to discuss Martial Arts in a mature atmosphere with like-minded people. Yes we have our disagreements but we don't come here looking for fights. Do you have this same attitude when you speak to people in real life? Do you walk into a group of strangers at the bar looking to start a fight with them? Or do you only do it online where nobody can beat you for your arrogance?

1. I already linked the dictionary and quoted its second definition as listed. Note that it's an irrelevant topic with no meaningful substance.
2. The ability to win a fight is THE ONLY show of competence in Martial Arts. I would probably include physical fitness as part of competence as well though, and "not dying". The fact that you and others think otherwise shows how inauthentic the people here are. You aren't actually martial artists.
3. You're not in the unique 1 - .1 % that has someone who teaches you how to win fights, be incredibly fit, and not die but still win a street fight. This is based on what you say and believe, which is "fighting is just a very small aspect of Martial Arts".
4. ^^^
5. Ok. The belt rankings just seemed dumb.
6. Which I already guessed at.
7. So you agree that you and everyone else is scared of criticism? Alright I will post a video. I never claimed to be anything above amateur. I don't have to be to know when someone else is just as terrible or hardly any better. I'll post past this month even. What should I post a video of? I guess I'll get a baseball, throw it up, then see how far I can punch and kick it; also, the punches and kicks on their own. I don't have anyone to fight or spar with. I'll even post the misses or bad ones.
8. I don't think I can find like-minded people, the maturity you speak of is not the kind that's relevant to martial arts, you seem to think words hurt as much as knifes, I don't go to bars, and you're talking about people who have no relevance to the world of martial arts. Being so friendly and inclusive isn't conducive to the development of martial arts. Pushing for better and better results, and removing delusions as to what martial arts is about does. I came here to see some skill and competence, but no one even posts videos of them in action.

Hopefully, you also try to learn from their disagreement. If someone says there's a structural issue with a throw, and you just decide they are wrong without trying to understand their point, you might as well have kept the video to yourself - it's doing neither you nor anyone else any good.

"
Even if every single person on this forum were amateurs, we should try to provide a way to becoming not-amateurs. Maybe some friendly competitions even; challenges, contests. I notice "members in action" is pretty empty and never posted in. It's as if people don't want to open themselves to criticism. Maybe they'll give up on learning how to fight then, eh? That's a pretty toxic mindset, all that pretense and weak determination; not the criticism. A website-wide phenomena. Or rather, a global phenomena. Seems pretty backwards.

What would be progressive is if people started posting themselves in action, and they got tore apart, but improved because of it, and came back later with their progress they made from all the feedback. They might even grow a thicker skin, which is in fact relevant in a fight.
"
I've already stated that we should open ourselves to criticism, but that if you're scared of posting, you have to realize that you aren't defenseless and should post anyway.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life isn't about appearances. A forum about fighting, martial arts, shouldn't be so ridiculously contradicting the reality and spirit of fighting, or improving in martial arts. Calm conversation is akin to armchair philosophy. There's plenty of talk and assumptions. There needs to be more confrontation if you want to get the mill wheel turning and grind out something authentic. Equilibrium and "being reasonable and mature" is the opposite of the dynamic tension necessary. That's the reality of it.
Then you understand little, if anything, about how ideas work.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

8. I don't think I can find like-minded people, the maturity you speak of is not the kind that's relevant to martial arts, you seem to think words hurt as much as knifes, I don't go to bars, and you're talking about people who have no relevance to the world of martial arts. Being so friendly and inclusive isn't conducive to the development of martial arts. Pushing for better and better results, and removing delusions as to what martial arts is about does. I came here to see some skill and competence, but no one even posts videos of them in action.

Just curious.. so because it's a forum about martial arts, you believe the conversation should replicate fighting? So in essence you're literally looking for a fight? I'm just curious, that's a very different view on life... It's like you're saying that we should be unfriendly and uninclusive, how does separating us further result in anything constructive, or in any place conducive of learning?

In an actual fight there is no coherence, logic or rationality. Primarily pure animalistic emotions arise, it's just about survival. Is that how you want this forum to be? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering. Because if you really wanted to 'just' learn survival techniques, and believe that aggressiveness and being unfriendly is the way to go, probably a forum (which is all about conversation, communication, and hopefully being respectful) isn't for you. If you wanted to live like that you'd just go out in the streets and just fight everyone, constantly, and learn that way.

I know what you're getting at, that being overly polite can be a hindrance. And I think confrontation and conflict can be healthy for sure, but to say that a forum should be like that so we learn... not quite understanding. And there have been comments throughout that I think have been a little unhelpful, but anyways we'll see how this all goes.

I was actually quite interested in the original diagram you posted up, had some interesting ideas there, but then we seemed to go to a whole other place hehe.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if every single person on this forum were amateurs, we should try to provide a way to becoming not-amateurs. Maybe some friendly competitions even; challenges, contests. I notice "members in action" is pretty empty and never posted in. It's as if people don't want to open themselves to criticism. Maybe they'll give up on learning how to fight then, eh? That's a pretty toxic mindset, all that pretense and weak determination; not the criticism. A website-wide phenomena. Or rather, a global phenomena. Seems pretty backwards.

What would be progressive is if people started posting themselves in action, and they got tore apart, but improved because of it, and came back later with their progress they made from all the feedback. They might even grow a thicker skin, which is in fact relevant in a fight.
"
I've already stated that we should open ourselves to criticism, but that if you're scared of posting, you have to realize that you aren't defenseless and should post anyway.
See, you've come on here and decided what this forum should be, by your own vision, in a couple of days. You miss 4 key elements:
  1. People on here disagree regularly. Hence my earlier comment about me and @jobo agreeing (we argue and debate a lot).
  2. People on here do occasionally post videos of themselves. And they usually get some useful critiques.
  3. There's more to this site than just blathering on about fighting. We actually discuss other topics, and much can be learned in earnest discussion.
  4. You do not get to dictate the rules of discussion and learning to this site, nor to any other group you walk into fresh. If you don't like the community's approach, find one you do like.
You've charged in here like a teenager who expects to get his way, and expects to always be right. The person most apparently upset with being contradicted is you. I don't know how old you are, but by maturity I'm going to guess mid teens to early 20's. And you are quite certain you know more than the people you're lashing out at, without knowing a single thing about their background and experience level. And without bothering to share a bit of your own background or experience level.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When Fear Makes Us Superhuman

"
"There's no way I could lift that car right now," he says.

Boyle, it should be pointed out, is no pantywaist. He carries 280 pounds on a six-foot-four-inch frame. But think about this: The heaviest barbell that Boyle ever dead-lifted weighed 700 pounds. The world record is 1,008 pounds. A stock Camaro weighs 3,000 pounds. Even factoring leverage, something extraordinary was going on that night.
"
Experienced deadlifter states he wouldn't be able to lift it in a non-crisis scenario.
"
Under conditions of competition a trained athlete can improve as much as 12 percent above that figure. Zatsiorsky calls this higher level of performance "competitive maximum strength." This parameter is not a fixed number—the more intense the competition, the higher it can go, as the brain's fear centers progressively remove any restraint against performance."
Vladimir Zatsiorsky, a professor of kinesiology at Penn State who has extensively studied the biomechanics of weightlifting, states that as the competition or fear increases, one's strength increases.
"
But under intense pressure—whether it's a bodybuilding competition, a kid trapped under a car, or an attacking bear—you just won't feel that pain. The body pulls out all the stops and lets you turn up the dial up to "11". You don't feel the ache of your muscles. You don't feel the pain. You just do what needs to be done."

1. I already linked the dictionary and quoted its second definition as listed. Note that it's an irrelevant topic with no meaningful substance.
2. The ability to win a fight is THE ONLY show of competence in Martial Arts. I would probably include physical fitness as part of competence as well though, and "not dying". The fact that you and others think otherwise shows how inauthentic the people here are. You aren't actually martial artists.
3. You're not in the unique 1 - .1 % that has someone who teaches you how to win fights, be incredibly fit, and not die but still win a street fight. This is based on what you say and believe, which is "fighting is just a very small aspect of Martial Arts".
4. ^^^
5. Ok. The belt rankings just seemed dumb.
6. Which I already guessed at.
7. So you agree that you and everyone else is scared of criticism? Alright I will post a video. I never claimed to be anything above amateur. I don't have to be to know when someone else is just as terrible or hardly any better. I'll post past this month even. What should I post a video of? I guess I'll get a baseball, throw it up, then see how far I can punch and kick it; also, the punches and kicks on their own. I don't have anyone to fight or spar with. I'll even post the misses or bad ones.

"

"

That appears to be yet another link that you haven't read that disagrees with the point you are trying to support.

towards the end, its deals with the proverbial 100 lbs woman lifting a car of her kid, and says its not at all likely, giving an estimated lift a max / panic strengh of 135lbs. That as it says in your link will Not get a car off a kid.

if i was trapped under a car, i would far sooner a 300 lbs weight lifter showed up to help me that my mother,

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright, vids of us in action! Here we go, some bagwork I did about a year ago!

Here's another: XD

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious.. so because it's a forum about martial arts, you believe the conversation should replicate fighting? So in essence you're literally looking for a fight? I'm just curious, that's a very different view on life... It's like you're saying that we should be unfriendly and uninclusive, how does separating us further result in anything constructive, or in any place conducive of learning?

In an actual fight there is no coherence, logic or rationality. Primarily pure animalistic emotions arise, it's just about survival. Is that how you want this forum to be? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering. Because if you really wanted to 'just' learn survival techniques, and believe that aggressiveness and being unfriendly is the way to go, probably a forum (which is all about conversation, communication, and hopefully being respectful) isn't for you. If you wanted to live like that you'd just go out in the streets and just fight everyone, constantly, and learn that way.

I know what you're getting at, that being overly polite can be a hindrance. And I think confrontation and conflict can be healthy for sure, but to say that a forum should be like that so we learn... not quite understanding. And there have been comments throughout that I think have been a little unhelpful, but anyways we'll see how this all goes.

I was actually quite interested in the original diagram you posted up, had some interesting ideas there, but then we seemed to go to a whole other place hehe.

It's already a very constructive medium (conversation) and I've been rather constructive this entire time. There's a growing global, species wide trend towards nurturing, overly-constructive, weak, limp, soft, womanly value systems and ways of thinking and believing that's many degrees separated from reality. That's the future we're moving towards, that's the time we live in. Martial arts, or fighting, of all things, should be much more masculine (what silly liberal and social justice bleeding hearts would call this authentic masculinity is "hyper-masculine chauvinistic misogynistic mental illness") and non-inclusive, yes. If you are rejected for being terrible at fighting, or knowing nothing about fighting and doing empty movements that have no application in a real fight, then you should be rejected and go train legitimately on your own or with your friends until you are worth your weight in salt. If you truly want to improve and take legitimate advice though, and show improvement, then the more inclusive 'gateway' communities should accept you even if you're still terrible. I call them gateway communities because they are a gateway to communities of a higher standard of membership, if you want to go further.

You can be unfriendly and exclusive, but still constructive or 'have a point'. Bottom line. This chaos you speak of isn't a meaningless nightmare that you say it is. There are real things happening the entire time, and it's rich with details, principles, techniques, mind games, even spiritual struggles. Your "animalistic emotions" aren't something abstract or very far away. I haven't trained much my entire life, so after a bit of training (including fighting specific training) I'll be comfortable walking the streets, confronting **** talk, building up and defending my pride and dignity. If I die I die, but that would be weak ******** so I'd rather burn in the afterlife and crawl my way back to life than accept death; realistically that means surviving a stabbing or beating that would kill others, and recovering faster. Avoiding it is cowardice. I'm not going to live forever and neither is anyone else. If I really want to live I have to face death.

If you want to talk about the diagram I'm game.

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Life isn't about appearances.
That is a very generalized statement that shows someone who has a rather narrow view of life. There is a reason we have organs of perception, as do other living things in this world. The systems responsible for our senses and feeding information to our brain contribute to that very thing you think life isn't about - appearances. Visual, auditory, olfactory, and kinesthetic appearances. Our first impressions are driven by appearances. Our interests are driven by appearances. Our choices are driven by appearances. That's quite a lot for something life isn't about.

A forum about fighting, martial arts, shouldn't be so ridiculously contradicting the reality and spirit of fighting, or improving in martial arts.

You didn't create this forum and you don't get to decide what it should or should not be. You could set up another forum and dictate the rules there. If you want to continue being a part of this forum, then work with how this forum operates.

Calm conversation is akin to armchair philosophy.
Another extremely generalized statement which suggests a lack of variety in conversation.

You know... after composer Frederic Chopin broke up with his lover of eight years, writer George Sand, his main frustration was not that it was a nasty breakup, but that her remarks about him were taken by others as absolute truth. For example, she described his method of work as very emotional, with constant running up and down the room, tugging at his hair, groaning, breaking quills, ripping paper, etc. In fact, he himself stated he was a very calm, methodical worker, with a very well-defined schedule and a very structured approach to work. People had a hard time believing it because his music was imbued with such great emotion. But that's the way it was - he arrived at it through a very calm approach.

So, just because something is calm doesn't mean it's ineffective or meaningless. As an engineer and an analyst, I can testify the best ideas can be generated through all sorts of interaction - both the calm, structured ones and the crazy, bouncing off the wall ones. I have over 20 years of professional experience to prove it. Perhaps you should try it before you dismiss it.

Latest Discussions