Bernoulli's Principle and the Martial Arts

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you ever go to Fenders Ballroom in Long Beach? That was my primary spot to see shows back then.
No, I don't know that one. Huntington Beach, but I don't remember the club name. Also Oceanside of course and Thee Dollhouse in Encinitas.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a misnomer since it is cocoa butter and sugar - no cocoa solids.
Would you believe I totally threw away the wrapper, and can't remember the brand.

Friend brought it back from Mumbai.

So good. I have to call my friend and find out the name. Never had that quality before, not typically a fan of the stuff but hoo boy.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you believe I totally threw away the wrapper, and can't remember the brand.

Friend brought it back from Mumbai.

So good. I have to call my friend and find out the name. Never had that quality before, not typically a fan of the stuff but hoo boy.
You donā€™t have it in the USA? We have ā€˜Milky Barā€™ in the U.K. which, ironically is promoted by the ā€˜Milky Bar Kidā€˜ cowboy.

0B074617-5E5C-4090-950A-603C5C92F0A6.jpeg

See his peg-like teeth? Rotted away by white cocoa fat confectionary!šŸ˜‰

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's another one that irks me.

People love to talk about combat. And 99% of the time, they're full of it and have not a single ounce of actual fight experience. This goes for almost all karate black belts, kung fu teachers, and BJJ black belts too (sorry BJJ guys, those aren't fights on the mats unless at least one person starts bleeding, in my book).

If we took 100 random people from just this website, I doubt more than a dozen have ever been punched in the nose. So having been punched in the nose many times (and not hit the deck once), I feel qualified to rant about this.

The popularity of action films involving martial arts can't be debated. But almost every single "martial artist" in film history...wasn't a martial artist or fighter. David Carradine, Pam Grier, William Shatner, Rudy Moore, I could go on and on. They were all actors, untrained in full contact. David Carradine, the scion of Kung Fu, Kill Bill, and countless cheesy martial arts movies, rest his soul, would probably run away screaming for help if someone attacked him in real life.

Chuck Norris was a fighter though, and we known this because there is video of him not giving a crap and stepping into the arena for real. For better or worse, people like Norris were not afraid to step up and showcase what real martial arts meant to them. I like these kind of old videos because they show the restraint of someone very well experienced. It's not pretty, but fighting never is. Even point fighting or stoppage fights are still very aggressive encounters compared to what most people ever experience.

Same with Jean Claude Van Damme

Point being, this is not a stunt double. But damn, if you try to have a serious talk with people in any random martial arts discussion, many people are going to start going off on how this guy below is "just an actor", ignoring that fact that he has an impressive full contact fight record under his birth name (which is not Van Damme).

Which makes me wonder: why is it sooo many so-called "martial artists" love to explain the intricacies of techniques until they are out of breath (and so many are out of shape entirely, or muscle-less), but practically none of them can do anything like this. Because if you can do this, you can take a lot of damage and still be dangerous.

So why is everyone in the martial arts so wrong about this sort of discipline? It's like they think discipline is something out of a comic book, not something you have to sweat, bleed, and push beyond the limits of your endurance to achieve?

I can't do this, but I try every day.

View attachment 30217
Wow. I have some old VHS tapes of me competing. You could claim them to be just about anyone!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You donā€™t have it in the USA? We have ā€˜Milky Barā€™ in the U.K. which, ironically is promoted by the ā€˜Milky Bar Kidā€˜ cowboy.

View attachment 30222
See his peg-like teeth? Rotted away by white cocoa fat confectionary!šŸ˜‰
But...Cocoa and its fatty acids (oleic acid) don't naturally contain any sugar.

No, this was a very highly refined white chocolate. With many layers of nuts.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow. I have some old VHS tapes of me competing. You could claim them to be just about anyone!
Frank Dux tried this same trick to prove he was at an underground Kumite.

It was pretty easy to disprove. Fujifilm was one of the sponsors of the tournament he lied about being at.

Like dude...they make cameras. He chose poorly.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I don't know that one. Huntington Beach, but I don't remember the club name. Also Oceanside of course and Thee Dollhouse in Encinitas.
But...Cocoa and its fatty acids (oleic acid) don't naturally contain any sugar.

No, this was a very highly refined white chocolate. With many layers of nuts.
sounds like a recipe for a friendly martial talk website.

Latest Discussions