Traditional African Martial Arts

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]AFRICAN MARTIAL ARTS:[/FONT]
Ancient Principles for TodayÂ’s Warrior
By Balogun Oyabode Abeegunde

Every nation, or “tribe”, in Africa has its own complex and complete martial arts styles. In whatever language they speak, Africans, traditionally, refer to their martial arts simply as “wrestling”. The African concept of wrestling, however, is quite different from the Asian or Western concept of wrestling.
In the African martial arts, to “wrestle” means to put your opponent on his back, belly, or side in order to render him more vulnerable to a finishing technique. This goal can be achieved by any means: strikes, throws, sweeps, joint-locks, or weapon attacks. Thus, if you hit your opponent in the head with a club and he falls from the force of the blow, you have – by African standards – wrestled him.
How did it come to pass that all the martial arts throughout Africa would adopt this concept of wrestling? For the answer, let’s look at a story about the Yoruba prophet and master wrestler, Orunmila: Orunmila, who, among other things, was an undefeatable wrestler, traveled the continent of Africa, teaching and studying spiritual, sociological and martial traditions. Everywhere Orunmila went, he wrestled with – and defeated – the greatest fighters on the continent. Orunmila would pick up a throwing technique in one village; a weapon disarm in another. Orunmila’s opponents would ask him to teach them the techniques he defeated them with and he would teach them, which is in accord with African customs. Eventually, the martial arts of Africa began to possess a similar rhythm and to follow the same underlying strategy of wrestling your opponent by any means.
Furthermore, the martial arts of Africa follow Five Basic Principles, which are the principles that govern traditional African life:

THE FOUR ELEMENTS
In African societies, there are four elements, which are considered the vital materials found in every living creature on Earth. These four elements are:
Earth – The element of Earth represents the stances in the African martial arts. Within the Earth Element are Three Foundations:
·Wood – High, narrow stances. Wood stances are extremely mobile and are used for fast, upright fighting and self-defense.
·Stone – Low, wide stances. Stone stances are extremely stable and are used for grappling and for fighting with a weapon.
·Metal – Low, narrow stances. Metal stances are extremely malleable and are used for grappling and ground-fighting.

Air – The element of Air represents the footwork and movements in the African martial arts. A practitioner of the African martial arts can move like a gentle breeze, a gale wind, or a whirlwind.

Fire – The element of Fire represents the masculine energy and techniques in the African martial arts. Fire techniques are forceful, penetrating and explosive.

Water – The element of Water represents the feminine energy and techniques in the African martial arts. Water techniques are yielding, encircling and deceptively powerful.

POLYRHYTHMIC APPLICATION
Like the African drum, the techniques in the African martial arts are polyrhythmic; meaning a practitioner of the African martial arts seeks to touch his opponent in two or more places at once. An offense and a defense are usually applied simultaneously, or the offense is the defense.

THE UNBROKEN CIRCLE
The principle of The Unbroken Circle is also referred to as “Call and Response”. A practitioner of the African martial arts seeks to blend with, and adapt to, the actions and rhythms of his partner or opponent, creating a never ending circle. A practitioner of the African martial arts does not meet force with force, but rather takes his opponent’s force and uses it against him.

THE WIND HAS ONE NAME
The African martial arts simplify self-defense by dealing not with a specific attack, but with the angle of the attack. The African martial arts recognize that there are only fifteen angles an opponent can attack from, so instead of being concerned with the infinite variations of attacks, the African martial arts deal with finite angles. The African martial arts further simplify combat by teaching that every block is a strike and every strike is a block. Thus, when an African martial artist learns an offensive technique, he has, in effect learned a defensive technique.

WASTE NO PART OF THE ANIMAL
The African martial arts stress economy of motion. The idea is: “If it’s there, use it.” Thus, if you strike an assailant in the chin with an uppercut, you should continue that upward motion and hit him in the throat with an upward elbow, because after the punch, your elbow is in perfect position to strike your opponent.

EGBE OGUN
We have looked at the strategy of wrestling, as well as the Five Basic Principles, both of which are inherent in the African martial arts. Now, letÂ’s examine Egbe Ogun, a comprehensive, synergistic system of the African martial arts, which is growing increasingly popular in the United States due to its efficient and effective techniques and the dynamic teaching methods of its instructors.
Let’s first look at the meaning of the phrase “Egbe Ogun”:

“EGBE”
In the lands of the Yoruba speaking people of Africa – which encompasses Western Nigeria, as well as parts of Togo and Benin – each city and town has a number of societies called “egbe”. Each egbe preserves the wisdom and technology of various social and ceremonial functions within the community. Each egbe also serves as a craft guild and is closely associated with a force of nature. Farmers belong to Egbe Orisa Oko; market women belong to Egbe Oya; woodcarvers, blacksmiths, surgeons, barbers, hunters, warriors and those who facilitate male passage rites belong to Egbe Ogun.
The Yoruba word for the physical heart – the organ that regulates the flow of blood through the body – is called “okan”, In traditional African societies, there is a basic concept that what appears in the physical world is always supported by its counterpart in the spiritual world. It is believed that within the okan is a spiritual heart, or power center, which regulates the flow of emotions. This spiritual heart is called “egbe”.
The word egbe is also translated as “society” or “collective”. In this context, the meaning is similar to the English expression: “the heart of the group”.
The dual meaning of the word egbe suggests that the spiritual force that supports the heart of an individual also supports the hearts of the community.
In Egbe Ogun, students are taught to draw spiritual power – which is regulated by the egbe – into the body through various power centers that control the constant flow of energy between self and world. These power centers are called “awuje”. The awuje draw on a form of energy called “ase”, which is the dynamic energy that brings Creation into being.

“OGUN”
“Ogun” is the Yoruba word used to describe the forces of nature that have the unique function of removing all obstacles that block the path of physical, mental and spiritual evolution. These forces – Ogun – are regarded as the Warrior Spirit. It is the function of Ogun, as a warrior, to clear away the obstacles that exist along the road towards attaining balanced character (iwa pele). In Egbe Ogun, it is understood that these obstacles may be either internal or external.
Ogun represents aggression, which is an integral part of the dynamics of nature. This aggression is linked to the will to survive, which exists in all species on Earth.
As part of the socialization process, the aggression associated with the Warrior Spirit remains a necessary aspect of survival.
This socialization process is based on the relationship between the forces of nature called Ogun and the forces of nature called “Obatala”, the spirit of peace, laughter, patience, intelligence, cleanliness and morality. It is the function of Obatala to determine when and how the Warrior Spirit is to manifest. Those warriors who maintain their martial arts discipline learn to access – and to suppress – the powers represented by Ogun. The dynamic, aggressive element of Ogun is kept in balance by the principles of justice and equality.

“EGBE OGUN”
We have examined the concept of “Egbe” and the concept of “Ogun”. Now let’s look deeper into the synergy of these two concepts, manifested as the martial art Egbe Ogun.
In Yorubaland, the word “Ijala”, on one level, means “warrior”. “Ijala” is a contraction of the word “ija”, which means “to fight” and the word “ala”, which means “White Cloth”. The symbol of the white cloth is associated with Obatala, which means “King of the White Cloth”. One of the functions of Obatala is to maintain ethical standards within society. The word “Ijala” suggests that the essence of the warrior is aligned with moral principles and the ideals that are at the foundation of spiritual transformation.
Ijala are also the poems chanted by Warriors in honor of Ogun. These poems (Ijala Ogun) are the source of todayÂ’s rap and hip-hop movement.
On a deeper level, Ijala translates to mean “warrior skills guided by White Cloth”. This indicates that the Forces in nature that guide life on Earth form the foundation of the fighting techniques in Egbe Ogun.
In Egbe Ogun, Warriors learn to connect to the inner self (“Ori Inu”). It is through this connection that the student of Egbe Ogun can invoke the forces that give added power (ase) to acquired – and inherent – fighting skills.
The integration of ase (power) and iwa pele (balanced character) is the responsibility and goal of every African Warrior. It is said of those who achieve this state of oneness with power and character (Ogun and Obatala): “Ijalagun molu”, or “Those who integrate the power of Ogun and Obatala never lose”.
Egbe Ogun, “The Society of Warriors”, is rapidly growing in popularity, particularly among the youth and the hip-hop community and will be featured in two upcoming documentaries – one produced by actor, Wesley Snipes and one by rapper, Stic.man of Dead Prez, so while the martial arts of Africa are ancient, their future looks very, very bright.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Balogun Oyabode Abeegunde is Founder and Director of the African Martial Arts Institute and is Master Instructor of the Egbe Ogun Traditional African Arts System. Balogun is an actor, fight choreographer and author of the textbook: “Afrikan Martial Arts: Discovering the Warrior Within”. He can be reached at www.myspace.com/egbeogun.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks! The polyrhythmic nature I have observed but it's good to have a name to put to it.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, a thought. I have a little bit of an understanding of African music/music of slaves in America, and that it focuses on polyrythm and call and response type themes. So, is there a connection between African music and African wrestling? Also, you have peeked my interest, were can I find more?

OP
Baba Balogun

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The principles upon which African martial arts are based are the principles upon which African life is based, thus music, dance, art, marriage...ALL aspects of African life...are based on the basic principles discussed.

For more information, you can read my book - "Afrikan Martial Arts: Discovering the Warrior Within", which will be released in February. You can also check out www.africawrites.com, or www.shiaimagazine.net.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The principles upon which African martial arts are based are the principles upon which African life is based, thus music, dance, art, marriage...ALL aspects of African life...are based on the basic principles discussed.

For more information, you can read my book - "Afrikan Martial Arts: Discovering the Warrior Within", which will be released in February. You can also check out www.africawrites.com, or www.shiaimagazine.net.

Thanks man! You don't mind whitey reading, do you?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Miss alot of it...about researchers doing DNA studies to show how MAN all came from the same place or orgins...most likely Africa!

There results will be share when it is completed..maybe in a few years?

Remember when you have the first two people on earth? ...mostly likely they had times of disagreement? ...hense the first two fights?

As more people where brought into this world, more disagreements....when you lose/win..someone would wonder why...study it ...and develop it as skills to fight back?

So far studies have shown the first man may have come from Africa....?

or from outer space? ....still living amoung us...as humans?

besides martial arts from Africa? ...music..dancing...languages,cultures,and tribes ..not sure of golf? (running was not an art...it was live or die?)

Aloha,

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks for the info.. I knew about the "wrestling part" and it does include weapons of course there... I have a friend who is from Tanzania and he was the first one to tell me that what I train in in his country would be referred to as 'wrestling'.

OP
Baba Balogun

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.
In response to the question "You don't mind whitey reading, do you?" I don't know 'whitey', but he is more than welcome to read the book! Is he a member of Martial Talk? :)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In response to the question "You don't mind whitey reading, do you?" I don't know 'whitey', but he is more than welcome to read the book! Is he a member of Martial Talk? :)

Very funny. A thought though, 'Baba', is that a term similar in function to 'Sensei' or 'Sifu'?

OP
Baba Balogun

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Balogun" is actually my martial arts title..it means "War Chief" in the Yoruba language. It is earned through initiation.
"Baba" means "father". It is a title carried by traditional priests within the Yoruba culture...I am an Egungun (Ancestral) Priest, thus the title 'Baba'.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Balogun" is actually my martial arts title..it means "War Chief" in the Yoruba language. It is earned through initiation.
"Baba" means "father". It is a title carried by traditional priests within the Yoruba culture...I am an Egungun (Ancestral) Priest, thus the title 'Baba'.

Gotcha.

OP
Baba Balogun

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I'm happy to be here and eager to share and to learn. Martial Talk is a wonderful site!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a fascinating read. I was struck at several points by just how similar the concepts were to those that I learned in my studies of Chinese and Japanese arts and how those core principles are beginning to be re-learned in the forgotten Western martial arts.

Thank you for sharing your insights and the best of luck in publishing your book. I for one shall be purchasing a copy when it becomes available.

It may come last in my words but it is certainly not the least - welcome to MartialTalk :sensei rei:.

OP
Baba Balogun

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sukerkin, thank you for your words of support.
I am honored to be here.

Baba Balogun

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great article, I enjoyed reading it esspecially because it relates heavily to the concepts in the art I practise. I look forward to seeing more posts and videos about this art.

Interestingly the word "Baba" carries great respect within Indian communities and it means "respected elder" and "grandfather"

OP
Baba Balogun

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for you comment and thank you for the information in regards to "Baba" and its meaning within Indian communities! The longer I live, the more I discover all I DON'T know! :)

Latest Discussions