Bernoulli's Principle and the Martial Arts

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My real point was....
  1. How open are we to investigating the things we "know" to be correct?
  2. Would we be open to learning to do something better, even if the person showing the better way has the "incorrect" understanding of what is happening?
Perhaps the problem is in the thinking that there is a correct way of doing something. Like most things in life ‘correct‘ martial arts techniques fall on a wide spectrum. Our training and honing of our skills is an attempt to narrow that spectrum.

Your second point is so abstract that any answer would fit! Let’s put the ‘person’ in a clown costume and make him a member of a far right organisation (the clown costume would be about right for such a person😉).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, what does this have to do with martial arts? We have all been taught things in martial arts that are wrong. The explanation of how and what happens is wrong. Remember the threads we have here about choking.... if I choke you out, I am doing a blood choke and preventing the blood from going to your brain... except that the arteries are high pressure and the veins are low pressure, so really I am stopping the blood from leaving your brain, which prevents fresh blood from reaching the brain... except that there are a lot of veins and you physically cannot close them all.... However, if I think of the choke as cutting off blood to the brain, then it helps me to understand how to correct my grip on your lapel to actually choke you out, even though my understanding of what is happening is wrong. There are lots of things like this in martial arts.
That's interesting. I had no idea what the principle was behind a so-called 'blood choke'. I've certainly applied a few of them, and I've been choked out for real in training. My instructor told me to hold my hands shoulder-width apart and clap my hands when I felt myself going out. I woke up and he was asking me why I didn't clap my hands. Uh, I don't know, I just went to sleep. It was that fast.

I never thought about the vagus nerve then. People said it was a carotid vessel compression and I believed them. However, I can believe you. As an older male, I have experienced micturition syncope, which my doctor told me involves stimulating the vagus nerve while standing up and urinating (cut to the chase - you pass out while peeing, usually at night).

I have also been recently trained by my cardiologist's PA to 'self convert' my Atrial Fibrillation, which involves several techniques that also stimulate the vagus nerve, which can (I guess) cause my heart to go back into normal rhythm. The last time I applied it, I went back into normal rhythm and have stayed there for nearly two months now. Why they didn't teach me that two years ago is beyond me...grrr.

Anyway, blah blah blah, I'm no real fighter, never pretended to be one, but I've damned sure been in a few fights. Marine MPs pretty much fight all day every day. Drunken Marines like to fight, it seems. I've been punched in the face so many times, sick-bay threatened to stop issuing me new glasses when my BCGs kept getting broken. I've got a deviated septum from busted noses and I've given out a couple.

I'm no good at fighting, but I *like* to fight. I no longer try to fight, but you know, I'll throw hands any time. That's not why I train, though. I train because I train. It's who I am now.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Hells Angels guy was just jealous. The root of a lot of violence.

I'm sure he's doing much better now.

Not.
I have no idea, I just remember thinking wow, that was JCVD that just got the snot knocked out of him! We also ran into Lyle Alzedo that night near the Whiskey a go go. Mr. Alzedo was incredibly friendly and we even told him the story of JCVD.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no idea, I just remember thinking wow, that was JCVD that just got the snot knocked out of him! We also ran into Lyle Alzedo that night near the Whiskey a go go. Mr. Alzedo was incredibly friendly and we even told him the story of JCVD.
I've been to the Whiskey. Saw the Go-Go's once and Black Flag once. Never met anyone famous there.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
1981. I'm old.
Wow! Nice! Last Black Flag show for me was 1984? At South High on a Saturday, they just showed up in a van and plugged into the stage on the Quad. It lasted 45 minutes before cops shut it down. I was lucky in that my friend had older brothers that were in the L.A. scene and they took us every gig they went to.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! Nice! Last Black Flag show for me was 1984? At South High on a Saturday, they just showed up in a van and plugged into the stage on the Quad. It lasted 45 minutes before cops shut it down. I was lucky in that my friend had older brothers that were in the L.A. scene and they took us every gig they went to.
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton from 81 to 83, when I was sent to Okinawa. I used to listen to Rodney on the ROQ on KROQ and read Flipside Fanzine and I hung around punk and ska shows in SoCal whenever I could. Usually between San Diego and LA. I gave some serious thought to remaining in SoCal when I got out instead of returning home to Denver in 84, but in the end, I went home. I was very fortunate; SoCal was really a scene back then, and my USMC haircut and boondockers had me mistaken for a skinhead most places (back before skinheads were considered racist).

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton from 81 to 83, when I was sent to Okinawa. I used to listen to Rodney on the ROQ on KROQ and read Flipside Fanzine and I hung around punk and ska shows in SoCal whenever I could. Usually between San Diego and LA. I gave some serious thought to remaining in SoCal when I got out instead of returning home to Denver in 84, but in the end, I went home. I was very fortunate; SoCal was really a scene back then, and my USMC haircut and boondockers had me mistaken for a skinhead most places (back before skinheads were considered racist).
Did you ever go to Fenders Ballroom in Long Beach? That was my primary spot to see shows back then.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I hesitate to talk about the “skinhead” of days gone by because people equate it to racism, not knowing the history of the term/style/movement. When I was a kid, the skinheads were kinda like the cops of the punk scene. You don’t mess with them, they like to fight, they are nice to girls and kids, and they give the best lifts for crowd surfing. In the L.A. scene at least there were lots of non white skin heads. They kept the jocks and long hairs out of the scene. When I was growing up most of the punks and skinheads only listened to punk live, it was reggae that everyone listened to on vinyl or cassette.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps the problem is in the thinking that there is a correct way of doing something. Like most things in life ‘correct‘ martial arts techniques fall on a wide spectrum. Our training and honing of our skills is an attempt to narrow that spectrum.

Your second point is so abstract that any answer would fit! Let’s put the ‘person’ in a clown costume and make him a member of a far right organisation (the clown costume would be about right for such a person😉).
Is there a correct way to eat a mars bar? Hmm? Something tells me…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It means that you were being sly by leaving the key point of the story to the end. Apologies for the lame attempt at humour.

Oh I know I was just kidding around like I’m innocent. Same apologies here.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
How bout fork and knife with a napkin vs. licking melted chocolate off the fingers?
I just had some Indian white chocolate, complete with almond and pistachio layers.

Layers. It's very apropos to this thread.

Like lots of people will say they know what white chocolate is, but most of them are wrong.

Latest Discussions