I guess the style really is important

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I pretty much always say the most important thing is the teacher and who you’re training alongside. I have to reconsider...

Anyone know what language they’re speaking and can translate? What style is this? Thriller-Do Kan? Beat It Ryu? Michael Jackson-Kai?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I pretty much always say the most important thing is the teacher and who you’re training alongside. I have to reconsider...

Anyone know what language they’re speaking and can translate? What style is this? Thriller-Do Kan? Beat It Ryu? Michael Jackson-Kai?
The language is French, the une, deux,trois is one, two, three
Would need to spend some time with it to translate, as Africans speaking French sound a little different than the Québécois French I am used to. I do believe he has misunderstood the idea of a thrust kick.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would need to spend some time with it to translate, as Africans speaking French sound a little different than the Québécois French I am used to. I do believe he has misunderstood the idea of a thrust kick.
I though it was French as I heard a few words, but I wasn’t sure if it’s an African dialect, Haitian dialect, etc. I’d just love to know what’s being said, as it would most likely be as entertaining as the video itself.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

It's definitely French but the dialect is so strange that I can't make out most of what they are saying. I have a feeling even if you did fully translate it, the words just wouldn't make sense. Like right at the end after the double salute (because that's apparently a thing) and the bow, the leader person says "on vous sert, bon apetit" which translates to "we serve you, good eating." which is usually something you say when serving someone some food, not teaching them a Martial Arts class.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's definitely French but the dialect is so strange that I can't make out most of what they are saying. I have a feeling even if you did fully translate it, the words just wouldn't make sense. Like right at the end after the double salute (because that's apparently a thing) and the bow, the leader person says "on vous sert, bon apetit" which translates to "we serve you, good eating." which is usually something you say when serving someone some food, not teaching them a Martial Arts class.
It could be their version of “you just got served.” :) The dancing connection and all.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It could be their version of “you just got served.” :) The dancing connection and all.

Possibly. One thing we need to probably say about the video is that it's not clear whether this is a serious demonstration or a parody. I'd like to think this is a parody, but who knows.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Possibly. One thing we need to probably say about the video is that it's not clear whether this is a serious demonstration or a parody. I'd like to think this is a parody, but who knows.
I honestly hope it’s a parody. But I’ve seen some stuff that I wished was a parody but wasn’t. Ashida Kim and World Martial Arts Association (WMAA Karate) with “Headmaster Dealy” immediately come to mind.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That....... was........ amazing. Hahaha!

Looove the kiai with the hip thrust XD

I must learn that... I mean that knee swivel has CLEAR applications of shaking someone off who's grabbing your leg!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was so the balls. :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reminds me of when we did a demonstration, and one of my students couldn't figure out what kick to do for a board break. The other students were doing tornado kicks and big jump spinning hook kicks, one student was even using me as a launching point to jump kick a board several feet in the air, but this girl couldn't figure out what she wanted to do.

So I had her do a string of kicks and punches, including cartwheels and rolls, leading up to the board, and once she got there she just punched it. It was ridiculous, but it was fun.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lol! Oh man.

I googled the text written in the video, and it looks like this is from a comedy show from the Congo? I found the original Youtube video, and the description & comments were written it a mix of French, which I can read a little bit, and another language which Google Translate couldn't identify. I saw a couple of similarly titled videos, so my guess is that this is a sketch comedy parody.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hmm. I've seen a lot of rape prevention self defense. This appears to be the opposite!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol! Oh man.

I googled the text written in the video, and it looks like this is from a comedy show from the Congo? I found the original Youtube video, and the description & comments were written it a mix of French, which I can read a little bit, and another language which Google Translate couldn't identify. I saw a couple of similarly titled videos, so my guess is that this is a sketch comedy parody.

I got some of the French language but have no clue as to the rest. I thought perhaps it was a Creole of some sort. Finding it comes from the Congo makes that a little more plausible, but far from certain. Perhaps borrow words from Belgium French mixed with a well understood native dialect from the Congo?

Anyway, good investigative work!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got some of the French language but have no clue as to the rest. I thought perhaps it was a Creole of some sort. Finding it comes from the Congo makes that a little more plausible, but far from certain. Perhaps borrow words from Belgium French mixed with a well understood native dialect from the Congo?

Anyway, good investigative work!

Yeah, I'm guessing that they're using some French words and some words in a local language, and in that region, enough people would understand both. Reminds me of some Indian-American people I know who post on Facebook in a mish-mash of English and romanized Hindi(?).

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the point in using Martial arts if you can't do it with style. even the shaolin monks understood that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the point in using Martial arts if you can't do it with style. even the shaolin monks understood that.

Yes, I seem to remember even the esteemed Master Miyagi, in one of the Karate Kid training videos, told the young lady never to trust a monk who didn't dance. :D