Five Martial Arts Principles

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting; never have seen that before. I teach principles that I was taught, of course, but there were significantly more of them and not quite as specific.

I have come to the conclusion, after many decades in the martial arts, that the teaching of "principles" is just as important, if not more so, than teaching techniques. Often I've seen techniques performed correctly and not work. On the other hand I've witnessed techniques done "not so well" but employing the principles I teach work very well.

I'm thinking the same thing. Cool. I've always been better with techniques; understanding them, absorbing them, memorizing them, taking them apart; but principles were always more effective. In anything, that is, not just fighting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that kind of forum, where you can post a video of you in action at any moment, or of someone you spar with?
Or it's a forum of amateurs who wish to remain amateurs?

Even if every single person on this forum were amateurs, we should try to provide a way to becoming not-amateurs. Maybe some friendly competitions even; challenges, contests. I notice "members in action" is pretty empty and never posted in. It's as if people don't want to open themselves to criticism. Maybe they'll give up on learning how to fight then, eh? That's a pretty toxic mindset, all that pretense and weak determination; not the criticism. A website-wide phenomena. Or rather, a global phenomena. Seems pretty backwards.

What would be progressive is if people started posting themselves in action, and they got tore apart, but improved because of it, and came back later with their progress they made from all the feedback. They might even grow a thicker skin, which is in fact relevant in a fight.
Why join a new forum just to start arguments? What's the point of that?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You appear to be full of ****, !
"one lacking in experience and competence in an art or science"
Definition of AMATEUR

You should talk to some people, you might learn what words mean without a dictionary.

the first and therefore main defintion is one about working unpaid, the above defintion still doesn't fit what you said it was above

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why join a new forum just to start arguments? What's the point of that?

It's the principle of fighting. "Why join a forum about fighting to fight?". "Why get better at fighting?". "Why fight?". This is what your question boils down to. Like ol' Miyamoto back a page realized, principles are more important than techniques.

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the first and therefore main defintion is one about working unpaid, the above defintion still doesn't fit what you said it was above
"Amateur, as in, you have little skill and competence."
"one lacking in experience and competence in an art or science" -> "lacking in experience and competence"

but that doesn't say she lifted a wheel, just that she raised it on the suspension,
It says she raised it OFF the suspension. And it's a heavy van, not a light VW bug or something. Cars go down to 800 lbs or so. This one was 4000 to 5000. In each case, their emergency primal response only permitted the exact amount of strength necessary to save the person. The point has already been made that you can normally do one thing, and do another in an emergency or primal situation. Now stop bullshitting me and go train harder, with more ferocity and due diligence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the principle of fighting. "Why join a forum about fighting to fight?". "Why get better at fighting?". "Why fight?". This is what your question boils down to. Like ol' Miyamoto back a page realized, principles are more important than techniques.
Nope. Not the same, at all. Unless you go to a gym and are a complete jerk to everyone there, too.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Amateur, as in, you have little skill and competence."
"one lacking in experience and competence in an art or science" -> "lacking in experience and competence"

It says she raised it OFF the suspension. And it's a heavy van, not a light VW bug or something. Cars go down to 800 lbs or so. This one was 4000 to 5000. In each case, their emergency primal response only permitted the exact amount of strength necessary to save the person. The point has already been made that you can normally do one thing, and do another in an emergency or primal situation. Now stop bullshitting me and go train harder, with more ferocity and due diligence.
it does not say she lifted a wheel, you have had about 8 goes at this now, we may have to face the fact you will never be able to actually support your claim!

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rudeness, immature behavior
it does not say she lifted a wheel, you have had about 8 goes at this now, we may have to face the fact you will never be able to actually support your claim!

I never said anything about lifting a wheel. I said lifting a car off a child. If you lift a van high enough that someone can get out from under it, it fits my original statement. Besides that fact, is that lifting anything beyond normal capacity in any situation was the point of the statement. The claim was supported. You're too dense and dishonest to really argue anything of value.

Nope. Not the same, at all. Unless you go to a gym and are a complete jerk to everyone there, too.

A fighting gym? If they're **** they're ****. If you don't want them to improve, then don't tell them or don't push the fact when they resist your assessment. Maybe you should rile them up in fact, then take them to the ring. They'll start to actually punch, kick, and grapple well because they're so lovely pissed off at you that they throw away their delusions. You'll have a chance of pointing that out and their training will improve immediately.

Such a "fine" distinction between fighting physically and mentally is the luxury of those who never have to fight, and won't ever. I guess I'll employ a nurturing mentality and emotional response whilst fighting then? There's such a disconnect between cognition and reality, afterall. Such a dissonance has no meaning, right?

Wake the f uck up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said anything about lifting a wheel. I said lifting a car off a child. If you lift a van high enough that someone can get out from under it, it fits my original statement. Besides that fact, is that lifting anything beyond normal capacity in any situation was the point of the statement. The claim was supported. You're too dense and dishonest to really argue anything of value.

A fighting gym? If they're **** they're ****. If you don't want them to improve, then don't tell them or don't push the fact when they resist your assessment. Maybe you should rile them up in fact, then take them to the ring. They'll start to actually punch, kick, and grapple well because they're so lovely pissed off at you that they throw away their delusions. You'll have a chance of pointing that out and their training will improve immediately.

Such a "fine" distinction between fighting physically and mentally is the luxury of those who never have to fight, and won't ever. I guess I'll employ a nurturing mentality and emotional response whilst fighting then? There's such a disconnect between cognition and reality, afterall. Such a dissonance has no meaning, right?

Wake the f uck up.
but very nearly Anybody can take the suspension sag out of a car so that someone can escape, it is not therefor proof of extreme strengh in adversity, just normal every day,strengh

OP
Primal Monk

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Excessive rudeness, disruptive behavior
but very nearly Anybody can take the suspension sag out of a car so that someone can escape, it is not therefor proof of extreme strengh in adversity, just normal every day,strengh

No they can't. They can't take a van body off the suspension. Note that when she tried to do the same thing for reporters, she could get it up an inch, vs four to five inches. Also note that the weight increases the further up you go until it's off the suspension. Note also that one of the links I mentioned had a guy crack eight teeth after lifting a car off someone, which he only realized once he got home. Clearly there's a strength increase.
You know so little about your body that you have to be convinced that you can wipe your own ***.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No they can't. They can't take a van body off the suspension. Note that when she tried to do the same thing for reporters, she could get it up an inch, vs four to five inches. Also note that the weight increases the further up you go until it's off the suspension. Note also that one of the links I mentioned had a guy crack eight teeth after lifting a car off someone, which he only realized once he got home. Clearly there's a strength increase.
You know so little about your body that you have to be convinced that you can wipe your own ***.
you can't take a van off the suspension with out a spanner, you can most certainly and,with ease raise a,van body 4inches taking out the,suspension sag. The artical said,she had no idea how high she lifted it as nobody was measuring, you don't read your own links, which is possibly why you have little idea that they don't,agree with you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wake the f uck up.
You really need to grow up and learn to communicate. Seriously.

And stop trying to sound tough and experienced. You sound childish when you do that.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're using the MMA definition of amateur. I'm just using the regular definition. This has to do with ability, competence. If you're not competent, you should be striving to become competent. If you don't expose your incompetence, you will never be competent. Your instructor is pacing his critique to fit your expectations + a bit or lot of his own. You're paying him, he isn't going to scare you away, and is going to use a "common denominator" training method for lazy cowardly people. He'll tell you "this training is intimidating. Not everyone can do this." to make you feel special and competent. You aren't. People who aren't paid by you will tell you that you could be knocked over by a breeze when you're kicking, you're so imbalanced and uprooted. People who aren't being paid will tell you that your punches have no power, no speed, and your body is weak as ****. If you don't want an honest assessment of yourself for of ALL THINGS: FIGHTING, then be my guess and play fight your whole life, wasting your time and money. Your ego is weak, like a child's. You're more worried about being sensitive to feelings than actually improving. Black Belt my ***. "Instructor knows best." my ***. What are these belt rankings even based on? Post count? Jesus.

If you post a video and people critique it, and you disagree, defend yourself. That's what fighting is. You fight. You don't avoid them when all it does is help you improve.

Try to develop some grit.

Wow, there is so much wrong here I don't know where to start. Sigh, here we go.

1. Dictionary definition of professional: "engaged in a specified activity as one's main occupation rather than as an amateur"

2. There are many ways to show competence in Martial Arts, and the ability to beat someone to a pulp is just 1 of them.

3. You know nothing about my instructor, how he teaches or what he says to me, so please stop making stupid ignorant assumptions.

4. Fighting comes in many forms and is just a very small aspect of Martial Arts. If you don't understand that concept I suggest you start listening to others instead of insulting them.

5. I never claimed to be a blackbelt and in fact the system I practice doesn't even have a regular belt ranking system. You get a red sash when you pass your first grading and that is it. Everyone is treated the same under the instructor.

6. If you haven't figured it out already, the belt rank under our names is just for showing how many posts you have made on this forum. In essence is means nothing.

7. "Try to develop some grit" is very tough talk for someone hidden behind a computer screen. Why not put your money where your mouth is and post a video of yourself. Show us "amateurs" how it's done and lead by example instead of badmouthing everyone who replies to you. If you can't do that then don't expect other people to do it either.

8. Do you even realise how stupid you sound right now? I don't go onto internet forums looking for a fight. I come here to discuss Martial Arts in a mature atmosphere with like-minded people. Yes we have our disagreements but we don't come here looking for fights. Do you have this same attitude when you speak to people in real life? Do you walk into a group of strangers at the bar looking to start a fight with them? Or do you only do it online where nobody can beat you for your arrogance?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions