falseness in training

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your student's don't want to learn Martial arts in it's true form, then they shouldn't sign up for it.

A) because people are free to do as they please unless it violates the law.
B) because who is anyone to decide what the 'true form' of martial arts is?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not hear that at all. I heard the passion for TMA. Nothing more.
There's a couple lines in what he said that had the idea of imposing own standards for martial arts.

"
f your student's don't want to learn Martial arts in it's true form, then they shouldn't sign up for it. Also, if a "teacher" feels this way they should coach a sport and not pretend to teach a dicipline."

He's stating that there is a 'true' form of martial arts, and that student's and teachers should be following this.

If that's one's main goal, then they're in the wrong busniness. It'seems imoral to me. It's making a joke out of something that could be used to change people lives. It's taking the power away from the activity to impact people.
It gives MA a bad name in the community.

Basically saying that if MA are not being taught the 'right' way, then it is making a joke, immoral, and unacceptable.

If he focused on the way his version of MA impacts people positively, that would be one thing, but he's much more focusing on how schools shouldn't teach the wrong way. Which makes sense. He's angry, he's realizing what he did for over a decade wasn't what he wanted. But it's still imposing his own standards for others.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He has twice used the term "immoral". That's more than just a passion for the tradition.
There's a couple lines in what he said that had the idea of imposing own standards for martial arts.

"

He's stating that there is a 'true' form of martial arts, and that student's and teachers should be following this.

Basically saying that if MA are not being taught the 'right' way, then it is making a joke, immoral, and unacceptable.

If he focused on the way his version of MA impacts people positively, that would be one thing, but he's much more focusing on how schools shouldn't teach the wrong way. Which makes sense. He's angry, he's realizing what he did for over a decade wasn't what he wanted. But it's still imposing his own standards for others.
Maybe you guys are right, but I think you’re being a bit too critical (?).

Trying to find the right word.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Possibly. I can't speak for Gerry, but I've seen that attitude enough times that it's easy for me to assume it's what's going on.
I’m not saying you’re completely off, just perhaps it’s not to the extent I think you think it is.

I’ve never met him nor you, so all I have are words on a screen and some assumptions. I’m trying this whole positivity thing, so maybe that’s part of it too ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He has twice used the term "immoral". That's more than just a passion for the tradition.

It depends what people are claiming. For me I compare it to medicine. Or more simply a diet shake.

If nobody loses weight drinking the thing the fact it takes good doesn't justify that.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends what people are claiming. For me I compare it to medicine. Or more simply a diet shake.

If nobody loses weight drinking the thing the fact it takes good doesn't justify that.
For something claiming to promote weight loss, I agree. The issue I have is with the blanket statement of "should". If someone wants to train for the fun of the movement, who in the world has the right to say they shouldn't? And if someone wants to teach those folks in a way that suits their needs, why does that become immoral?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For something claiming to promote weight loss, I agree. The issue I have is with the blanket statement of "should". If someone wants to train for the fun of the movement, who in the world has the right to say they shouldn't? And if someone wants to teach those folks in a way that suits their needs, why does that become immoral?
Under the ideology in question, Tai Chi as most people know it would be banned.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It depends what you are saying you do. Or what you are implying you do.

Using terms like self defense are on there own meaningless. There is no standard and there is no way of discerning what constitutes effective self defense methods.

So self defense can mean training for no purpose other than the fun of getting out there and meeting people.

So people using those terms should be clear about whether they are an evidence based training program or not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because I love how awful this is. Does this constitute as immoral or just people having pointless fun.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Under the ideology in question, Tai Chi as most people know it would be banned.

It is interesting you say that because I invented my own Tai Chi. And so am a grand master in that art.

And the focus is definitely on fun.

Which is the most important aspect of martial arts anyway.

Latest Discussions