Easy to Carry, Easy to Use Self Defense Weapons

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok, i can see that i am defeated! though i never meant to imply that throwing a punch with keys in your hand was a good idea, it seems that is how it is heard. so keep your keys in your pocket, you're right, what if you get away and run to your car but there's a frikkin eyeball on your car key? that would be bad.

i should explain that i am not a 'puncher' anyway, i view 'striking' as being defined in many ways, a punch being one of them, but a thrust, block, parry, hip-check or heel-stomp are all strikes. if you practice an art that punches hard targets (like the face) you will need to train the bones and tendons of your hands to not be injured by this impact. if you do that, you no longer need a weapon to increase the effectiveness of your punches!(though hard knuckle tac gloves aren't a bad idea). if you do not condition your hands, a punch to hard bone may injure your hand, with or without keys.

in 'soft' style martial arts, striking is focused on 'soft' targets, muscles, tendons, fascia, nerve plexus', eyes, throat, arteries, etc. if you think of a 'punch' as launching from your side to span arm's length to it;s target and then recoiling, think of a strike as moving from wherever the (body weapon) is, even from one inch away from it's target, following the body contact and thrusting with the full weight and power created by the dynamics of rooted agility and inner structure. can you see how a key could enhance the effect of a strike this way, without personal injury?

the advice is intended for one who feels they need an edge, maybe a smaller person who is just nervous about walking through a dark parking garage. if you train in ANY martial art for long enough, you won't need a weapon. you will be one, and you will be able to use virtually anything at your disposal to increase efficiency and effectiveness of your technique. Ken Tai Ichi Jo. the body and weapon are one.

every weapon has a right way and a wrong way to be used. a person who doesn't know which way to point the can will hurt themselves with pepper spray.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If people don't want to practice, pepper spray might be the best option. You practice just a few times. It's cheap to buy one just for practice. BUT it is very important to practice spraying before carrying. When walk on a quiet street, have it in your hand.

Don't get anything that requires time to hold it in position like key. You have to carefully put them between fingers that takes time that you don't have in the situation. Even a pocket knife needs two hands to open it. The automatic ones are not legal in a lot of places like Kalif.

Of cause, there is gun. Are you ready to go there?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get anything that requires time to hold it in position like key. You have to carefully put them between fingers that takes time that you don't have in the situation. Even a pocket knife needs two hands to open it. The automatic ones are not legal in a lot of places like Kalif.
No they don't. There are literally thousands of legal, one-hand opening knives.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No they don't. There are literally thousands of legal, one-hand opening knives.
Not in Kalif. Yes, you can open with one hand without spring assist, It is hard and need concentration. I STRONGLY advice against trying to open one with one hand in tense situation. I know, I practiced, it's NOT easy.

Kalif outlaw ALL spring assisted opening knifes. Maybe less than 2", I have to double check.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not in Kalif. Yes, you can open with one hand without spring assist, It is hard and need concentration.
No it's not, and no it doesn't. Companies like Spyderco have built their entire business model on easy open one-handed knives.
Additionally, your statement that spring-assisted opening knives are illegal in California is also incorrect.

A spring assisted knife is legal in California as long as it “opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.” Penal Code 21510 PC, which is the California statute governing switchblade knives.

"Spring Assisted Knives" - Are They Illegal in California?

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No it's not, and no it doesn't. Companies like Spyderco have built their entire business model on easy open one-handed knives.
Additionally, your statement that spring-assisted opening knives are illegal in California is also incorrect.

"Spring Assisted Knives" - Are They Illegal in California?
If you read the article, it also talked about spring assisted that is not legal. It is confusing, like talking with both sides of the mouth,

This is the one I bought, I don't think it's legal in Kalif
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057R8SSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you think it's legal, let me know. I don't dare to carry it out. This would be a good self defense knife open with one hand safely. Watch the video.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I only trust biker lawyers on these kind of subjects.

In California, the following are illegal: (1) It is illegal to possess any switchblade knife with a blade of 2″ or longer, that can be opened with a button or the flick of your wrist; (2) concealed possession of any “dirk” or “dagger,” i.e., any stabbing device with a fixed blade, regardless of blade length; (3) possession or sale of any disguised blades, i.e., cane swords, writing pen knives, lipstick knives, etc., or any knife that is undetectable to metal detectors; (4) possession of a knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2″ on any school grounds; (5) possession of a fixed-blade knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2″ on any college or university grounds; and (6) flashing or waiving any knife or weapon in a threatening manner. Also, certain municipalities have their own laws that may affect the legality of carrying a knife. In Los Angeles, for example, it’s illegal to openly carry any knife with a blade longer than 3″.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I only trust biker lawyers on these kind of subjects.

In California, the following are illegal: (1) It is illegal to possess any switchblade knife with a blade of 2″ or longer, that can be opened with a button or the flick of your wrist; (2) concealed possession of any “dirk” or “dagger,” i.e., any stabbing device with a fixed blade, regardless of blade length; (3) possession or sale of any disguised blades, i.e., cane swords, writing pen knives, lipstick knives, etc., or any knife that is undetectable to metal detectors; (4) possession of a knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2″ on any school grounds; (5) possession of a fixed-blade knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2″ on any college or university grounds; and (6) flashing or waiving any knife or weapon in a threatening manner. Also, certain municipalities have their own laws that may affect the legality of carrying a knife. In Los Angeles, for example, it’s illegal to openly carry any knife with a blade longer than 3″.
That's what I've been reading. Any spring assist that you can push the knob to deploy like the one I bought and provided link is likely NOT legal. Just read the law, it's like speaking from both sides of the mouth.

I showed it to my second stepson that know some police, he said it's not legal. So what else is new!!! I am sure there are other states that are illegal, they better check very......VERY carefully before carrying those out. This is MORE SERIOUS than a conceal handgun.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's what I've been reading. Any spring assist that you can push the knob to deploy like the one I bought and provided link is likely NOT legal. Just read the law, it's like speaking from both sides of the mouth.

I showed it to my second stepson that know some police, he said it's not legal. So what else is new!!! I am sure there are other states that are illegal, they better check very......VERY carefully before carrying those out. This is MORE SERIOUS than a conceal handgun.
My favorite is:

"flashing or waiving any knife or weapon in a threatening manner".

Which is kind of the whole point of carrying one for self defense. So what, mugger attacks me, I brandish my knife, he calls the cops. I've got the weapon.

No thanks. Knives are messy anyway. I'll always prefer a nice solid stick, which can be just as menacing, but I doubt there's any law in CA about flashing or waiving a stick. Then again, it's California.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite is:

"flashing or waiving any knife or weapon in a threatening manner".

Which is kind of the whole point of carrying one for self defense. So what, mugger attacks me, I brandish my knife, he calls the cops. I've got the weapon.

No thanks. Knives are messy anyway. I'll always prefer a nice solid stick, which can be just as menacing, but I doubt there's any law in CA about flashing or waiving a stick. Then again, it's California.
Exactly, I carry a cane everywhere I go. AND I practice very hard on how to swing, footwork and all that for close to 9 months and still going. It's good exercise for me anyway. I lost over 10lbs after I added stick fight onto my existing exercise routine.

I use the United Cutlery Night Watchman cane that has a sharp hook on it. It's made of fiber filled Nylon. It's a weapon. I cut the sharp hook and made them look so innocent, just another old men crook cane. It's 20oz after cutting down to 30", anyone gets hit by this, it won't be funny.

I don't want to take the chance to have to argue in the court whether the knife is legal or not.

If the situation calls for, I'd carry a real gun. You get into less trouble with that than a knife.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the situation calls for, I'd carry a real gun. You get into less trouble with that than a knife.
That depends on the context. I was stopped driving cross country once by state cops. They didn't care about the 10 inch serrated military knife laying in the back seat. They just wanted to know if I was packing a firearm.

I wasn't. It was Texas, I figured they had plenty.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That depends on the context. I was stopped driving cross country once by state cops. They didn't care about the 10 inch serrated military knife laying in the back seat. They just wanted to know if I was packing a firearm.

I wasn't. It was Texas, I figured they had plenty.
That really depends on individual police. I am just talking in general it's a misdemeanor for carrying a gun in Kalif, but felony for illegal knife.

If they want to be an A$$, they can get you more on a knife.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A thumb stud is not a button. A spring assisted opening mechanism is not a switchblade.
Federal law defines switchblade very clearly. The law above follows that definition and as such spring-assist opening knives and other non-automatic one-hand openers are legal.

U.S. Code Title 15, Sect. 1241 defines switchblade knives as any knives which open "1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade which opens automatically; (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both".

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A thumb stud is not a button. A spring assisted opening mechanism is not a switchblade.
Federal law defines switchblade very clearly. The law above follows that definition and as such spring-assist opening knives and other non-automatic one-hand openers are legal.
I'll let you debate with the police when you get caught with one.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Carrying any weapon without training is a bad idea in general.
Nope. Don't agree. Weapons are "force multipliers." They allow smaller, weaker, slower, less well trained people to match the force of someone larger, stronger, faster, and better trained who doesn't have a weapon.

Remember, you carry a weapon and don't know how to use, the thug might take it from you and use it on you!!!
Nah. I've been looking for years for evidence of this and it's as rare as an honest politician. While it's theoretically possible, if even an untrained person is willing to use the weapon, instead of hesitating, then the chances of <cough> "the attacker taking it away and using it against them" is remarkably small. For every one example you can find, there are, literally, hundreds of examples where the weapon isn't taken.

I even put a loop on my cane and loop around my wrist so I won't accidentally lose it(happens more than you think).
Huh? You lose your cane?

I also practice if the thug tries to pull it from me, I practice kicking the knee or between the legs and all that.
Sounds like a distance management problem to me which would be better solved with either distance management or a basic understanding of weapons grappling. Have you looked at Gene LeBell's stick system?

I can see key is a very bad idea, you punch someone with keys in between your fingers, first thing is the back of the key is going to dig into your palm and hurt you more.
Yeah, it's a terrible idea.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll let you debate with the police when you get caught with one.
1) You don't debate with cops. If they want to arrest you, you're arrested. It sucks, but it's the fact.
2) Unless you're in a federal jurisdiction, it doesn't matter what the federal definitions on knives are. What matters are your state and local laws.

This website will help:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Huh? You lose your cane?

Kirk
Yes, You watch any stick fight video, it very often people lose their stick during fights. In competition, worst that can happen is you lose the match. You lose the cane in real fight, you can lose your life.

You can practice hitting air, practice hitting bag and it will NOT help. You know you are either hitting something or not hitting something. You anticipate that already. It's a different story if you expect to hit something and it's not there. That's when the cane can go flying.

Also, in competition, you have a large space with nothing around. You only worry about the opponent. In real life, you have things around you. Like in the restaurant, you have other people, chairs and all. When you swing, you can hit stuffs that you don't expect and you can lose your cane because you are not prepare to contact at that point.

These are so bad particularly for non expert. I even modified a speed bag by deflating it, put 2lbs weight balls into the bag and tape it so it's narrow. It will not bounce when hitting the board like the normal speedbag and has no rhythm. I practice hitting only the bottom to make the chance of missing a lot higher. I use that to practice missing.

I also practice casting to make the swing a lot more compact. I practice in a tight environment to avoid hitting things accidentally.

May be for you experts, it's nothing, but it's life and death for non experts in real life self defense situation.

I am not weak particularly for my age, I can do 20 reps of pushups wearing 60lbs weighted jacket and bicep curl 10 times with 40lbs dumb bells. I still do weight lifting and work out at least 6 hours a week, so it's NOT because I cannot hold onto the cane, it just happen if you don't practice. I have been practicing 9 months already.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nope. Don't agree. Weapons are "force multipliers." They allow smaller, weaker, slower, less well trained people to match the force of someone larger, stronger, faster, and better trained who doesn't have a weapon.

Nah. I've been looking for years for evidence of this and it's as rare as an honest politician. While it's theoretically possible, if even an untrained person is willing to use the weapon, instead of hesitating, then the chances of <cough> "the attacker taking it away and using it against them" is remarkably small. For every one example you can find, there are, literally, hundreds of examples where the weapon isn't taken.

Kirk
Not if you are old or weak. Some woman think they can just carry a cane or knife and not practice. That's dangerous, if you are slow and weak, chances of the thug taking away your weapon is a lot higher.

It is very very important to practice what you carry. I spend 9 months practicing 5 days a week on the cane already and have no plan to stop any time soon.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, You watch any stick fight video, it very often people lose their stick during fights. In competition, worst that can happen is you lose the match. You lose the cane in real fight, you can lose your life.

You can practice hitting air, practice hitting bag and it will NOT help. You know you are either hitting something or not hitting something. You anticipate that already. It's a different story if you expect to hit something and it's not there. That's when the cane can go flying.

Also, in competition, you have a large space with nothing around. You only worry about the opponent. In real life, you have things around you. Like in the restaurant, you have other people, chairs and all. When you swing, you can hit stuffs that you don't expect and you can lose your cane because you are not prepare to contact at that point.

These are so bad particularly for non expert. I even modified a speed bag by deflating it, put 2lbs weight balls into the bag and tape it so it's narrow. It will not bounce when hitting the board like the normal speedbag and has no rhythm. I practice hitting only the bottom to make the chance of missing a lot higher. I use that to practice missing.

I also practice casting to make the swing a lot more compact. I practice in a tight environment to avoid hitting things accidentally.

May be for you experts, it's nothing, but it's life and death for non experts in real life self defense situation.

As someone who has needed a cane to walk since 16, I don't have a lot of experience actually using the stick to fight someone (would be pretty difficult since I'd have a balance issue if the cane is off the ground.)

That said, I do practice with bags and such just for my own edification and exercise.... it does make a difference and can help you grip the thing more steadily as you practice. Yes, it isn't the same, and there is a different mindset, but you can get around that or adapt to it as you practice.

While not true in every case, when I see people losing their canes, it's because they do some kind of flourishes or other things with it, and they either lose their grip or get it taken from them.

Granted, this is from the perspective of a disabled cane-user, not a martial artist, so take that for what it's worth.

Tagentially, it feels to me like things like canes have experienced a surge in popularity in recent years due to their relatively ubiquitous and innocuous natures. Whether that is true in an actual sense I don't know, and I follow cane stuff, so that probably affects how I see it. There seem to be quite a few able-bodied folks out there turning to the cane as something they can take with them when they can't have other options. No judgment, it's just a little bit funny to me as someone who needs a cane every day.

I sure hope we don't come to a time where canes are viewed with more suspicion than not....

Latest Discussions