The Disadvantage of Carrying Weapons

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
perfect example of my anxiety compensation theory.
anxiety from the inability and helplessness to defend one's self leads to an increasing and growing need for more control due to the expanding awareness of one's weakness. so one gun is good for awhile until it occurs to you that you also need one under your pillow and next to the door, strapped to you leg, one under the sink and one behind the toilet.
I keep a fourth hidden in my rectum. Just in case. ‘Cause ya never know...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone can buy a law book. If they read it a lot, they may learn something about the laws. Doesn't make them a lawyer.

Proper training with a firearm makes one proficient with the firearm. It doesn't automatically confer knowledge about when and when not to employ it. CCW training may provide some of that information, but now in 13 of the 50 states, no carry permit is required, no training, no certification necessary.

I would argue that from a moral point of view, mere proficiency is grossly insufficient when carrying a firearm. I am not interested in politics or the laws about training/carrying here. I am saying that a person who is able to safely carry and accurately shoot a firearm only is woefully unprepared to use it in self-defense in most circumstances.

Unlike martial arts training, where something is generally better than nothing, mere proficiency with the firearm without all the accompanying requirements is worse than not carrying at all.

In other words, the guy who carries three guns at all times on his person (good grief) and can shoot straight and draw fast, but who knows jack about when, where, how and why they may shoot, how to retain their weapon from a person determined to take it from them, and so on, is more a danger to the community than an unarmed person. I am not claiming Johnny Three-Guns is not also knowledgeable about the above, I'm using it as an example. Three guns. For crying out loud.

All of that is not really that complicated to learn and when you get into it is much simpler than what most people think.

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because the action(s) of one or a few is indicative of everyone else.

I agree that the overwhelming majority of lawful concealed weapons carriers do not break the law in any way, shape, or form with regard to their carry of weapons. I simply question how simple it is for the average citizen to understand these things. I think most of them absolutely do not. I guess I'm a pessimist in that way.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that the overwhelming majority of lawful concealed weapons carriers do not break the law in any way, shape, or form with regard to their carry of weapons. I simply question how simple it is for the average citizen to understand these things. I think most of them absolutely do not. I guess I'm a pessimist in that way.

It's actually really simple if....you aren't a dips**t and you take the time to learn.....and are open to learning

Problem is some either don't take the time to learn or go in with their own preconceived ideas and do not learn it correctly.

Then you have your Dips**t outliers that make us all look bad.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for it to go bang when you squeeze the trigger, depending on the gun that might require certain conditions to be met. For instance, with the Beretta m9 the decocker lever has to be up or it will not fire.

Right. Because the guy you took it from is real likely to have kept the safety on.
Still having difficulty differentiating between fantasy and reality?
The point, which you clearly failed to grasp, is that the odds of an assailant having a gun that I have ‘no idea’ how to operate is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right. Because the guy you took it from is real likely to have kept the safety on.
The point, which you clearly failed to grasp, is that the odds of an assailant having a gun that I have ‘no idea’ how to operate is ridiculous.

Nope, there is this true case of an owner of a gun shop who in the course of having his shop robbed his sidearm was taken and the bad guy tried to shoot him with it. The bad guy was not able to and shoot the gun and fortunately the shop owner was able to retrieve a backup gun and stop the robbers. The reason why the bad guy was not able to shoot his sidearm is because he had it specially designed that unless you knew exactly what to do you would not be able to fire it. He had it designed that way for that very reason, if somebody were to take it from him they could not shoot him with it. This is a true story not a fantasy my friend.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you just carry a .22, the story in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" or "The Hills have Eyes" will never happen.

Texas_chainsaw.jpg

the_hills_have_eyes.jpg

Aren't both based on true stories? :nailbiting:

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you here, I believe a gorilla would be more effective though baboons are disturbingly aggressive.

Omg, they ARE, Tez! :wideyed:. Look what happened to that lady whose face was torn & bitten off by that famous & "tame" chimpanzee. My dad wanted to take me to the Congo to play with the chimps & the gorillas, but I refused. I'm not familiar with the temperaments of gorillas, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll stick to playing with tiger & lion cubs...:rolleyes:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I didn’t say this. I said they are different issues, and I believe that.

OK, I'm certainly willing to accept that I may have misinterpreted your one-liner. So perhaps you'd like to expand on the statement and clarify things?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, there is this true case of an owner of a gun shop who in the course of having his shop robbed his sidearm was taken and the bad guy tried to shoot him with it. The bad guy was not able to and shoot the gun and fortunately the shop owner was able to retrieve a backup gun and stop the robbers. The reason why the bad guy was not able to shoot his sidearm is because he had it specially designed that unless you knew exactly what to do you would not be able to fire it. He had it designed that way for that very reason, if somebody were to take it from him they could not shoot him with it. This is a true story not a fantasy my friend.

Citation?

I'm going to expand on this...
I am extremely skeptical of the story you mention really being true. You're claiming that this gun shop owner had a custom designed one-off handgun made. Given the cost, I'm skeptical of that claim. Modified guns exist, certainly, but there's no significant change in the way the guns function.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I know how to use it. I hit them with it. That way I get an absolute guaranteed result.

If you think you will reliably fire a weapon you have just found. Then good luck with that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Citation?

I'm going to expand on this...
I am extremely skeptical of the story you mention really being true. You're claiming that this gun shop owner had a custom designed one-off handgun made. Given the cost, I'm skeptical of that claim. Modified guns exist, certainly, but there's no significant change in the way the guns function.

Sammy the turk.

Latest Discussions