Weapons training for the purpose of self defense

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ugh I'm too tired for this. Forget my last post, it's wrong with regards to the law.
well your partly right, the " excuse" element applies to knifes etc over the prescribed length and to a whole list of restricted weapons , but not to general things like hammers. though the police might take a dim view, its by no means illegal

I've had several conversations with the local police about walking about with a base ball bat, i use it to hit tennis ball for the dog to chase, in the end i got fed up of being pulled and wrapped in cloth to carry it to the park

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes indeed, train with an every day object you are pretty likely to have with you and is legal to carry, I'm not sure sticks are that easy to find in a,city, ?

I was in Manhattan just yesterday. Sometimes when you go into the city you might be carrying an umbrella, I do know of a case of a woman who was carrying an umbrella in Manhattan and she was able to fight off an attacker with it. I was not carrying an umbrella when I was there but I did see stuff that could be used as fighting sticks. There were people carrying canes here and there and some of the stores sold mops and other such stuff that could be used as fighting sticks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Weapon is just the extension of your arm. Any open hand skill can be used in weapon such as:

- comb hair, downward cut.
- comb hair, horizontal cut.
- weapon touch, forward stab.
- leg cut change into neck cut.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was in Manhattan just yesterday. Sometimes when you go into the city you might be carrying an umbrella, I do know of a case of a woman who was carrying an umbrella in Manhattan and she was able to fight off an attacker with it. I was not carrying an umbrella when I was there but I did see stuff that could be used as fighting sticks. There were people carrying canes here and there and some of the stores sold mops and other such stuff that could be used as fighting sticks.
if i had time to pop into a hard ware shop when being attacked, I'm pretty sure i would come out with something better than a mop

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i had time to pop into a hard ware shop when being attacked, I'm pretty sure i would come out with something better than a mop

Four candles/fork handles? :D

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a hickory cane.
Anywhere. No Problems...Ever.
Don't play a fool, don't be obnoxious, just go about your business as normal.
Cattleman's Cane.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I carry a hickory cane.
Anywhere. No Problems...Ever.
Don't play a fool, don't be obnoxious, just go about your business as normal.View attachment 20963
I carry a walking stick with a solid heavy metal head on. I can use it to crack a skull if I have to. IMO, it's better legal self-defense weapon.

I always have many "sword sticks". But it may be illegal to carry.

walking_stick_1.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can get ninjering umbrellas by the way. If you want to spend the cash.

As well as canes.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a walking stick with a solid heavy metal head on. I can use it to crack a skull if I have to. IMO, it's better legal self-defense weapon.
Have a similar walking stick with a metal head as well but have always had to explain it to TSA and some government buildings. The Cane...Never!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've considered picking up one of the more sturdy umbrellas, for this reason. I have a golf umbrella I sometimes carry when walking around town, if there is a reasonable chance of a storm. It would be a passable weapon, and the sturdier ones would be even better.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a similar walking stick with a metal head as well but have always had to explain it to TSA and some government buildings. The Cane...Never!
I have two canes with metal heads (one solid brass, I think, and the other feels solidly hollow, if that makes any sense). I've never been questioned when taking them through TSA or anywhere else. It might help that I typically bear a fair amount of weight on my cane when walking with it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get ninjering umbrellas by the way. If you want to spend the cash.

As well as canes.
My most ninjery cane/walking stick is also my most foppish. It has a solid glass head (quite hefty) and a sturdy, hollow metal shaft. It goes quite well with a tuxedo, and is easily the one most likely to deliver a debilitating blow.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My most ninjery cane/walking stick is also my most foppish. It has a solid glass head (quite hefty) and a sturdy, hollow metal shaft. It goes quite well with a tuxedo, and is easily the one most likely to deliver a debilitating blow.
how often do you go out in a tux?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how often do you go out in a tux?
Less than I used to. When money was more plentiful (and we lived near a larger city) we went to events where eveningwear was passable a few times a year. I'm not sure the pants for my tux still fit, frankly - I've put on two or three inches in the last two years.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am still working on a quick release pocket for my taser. I still have a problem with developing eyes in the back of my head. That's where they usually come from where I live.

Do people really think that atackers are law abiding citizens and dont usually use guns?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
well no, that's not the UK law, you can carry any thing that isn't designed(or modified) as a weapon and which you don't have intent to use as a weapon, with the prosicution needing to prove your intent . Which is near impossible unless you admit to it
so the list of things that you could carry, that would come in handy if attacked is nearly endless.
I was arrested once caught up in a gang fight. I did have knife in my pocket. I was not charged as it was the others that attacked me first. I was told that anything I carried might be construed as weapon if I drew it out.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry a walking stick with a solid heavy metal head on. I can use it to crack a skull if I have to. IMO, it's better legal self-defence weapon.

I always have many "sword sticks". But it may be illegal to carry.

walking_stick_1.jpg
Now why on earth would you want to be so conspicuous and even try hit them on the head
walking.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was arrested once caught up in a gang fight. I did have knife in my pocket. I was not charged as it was the others that attacked me first. I was told that anything I carried might be construed as weapon if I drew it out.
are you talking UK law?