Best kicks for average folks

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for clothing chokes..

Unless a person is better at rolling than I am ...which narrows down the field to a few billion people, if I get said person in closed guard and trap an arm, that person is getting choked with their clothing no matter what they are wearing, t-shirt, wife beater, raincoat, tuxedo, winter coat, no matter, I’ve practiced with every conceivable garment.

I’ve always loved clothing chokes. Ever since I first got choked out that way.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As for clothing chokes..

Unless a person is better at rolling than I am ...which narrows down the field to a few billion people, if I get said person in closed guard and trap an arm, that person is getting choked with their clothing no matter what they are wearing, t-shirt, wife beater, raincoat, tuxedo, winter coat, no matter, I’ve practiced with every conceivable garment.

I’ve always loved clothing chokes. Ever since I first got choked out that way.

You can’t choke me in my T-shirt , the fabric would rip !!!
You can put me in a sloppy rear naked and it will work .
The gable grip choke is very effective as blood or air
The one arm choke is hard to pull of

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One arm choke as trachea when you pull your shoulder back is a pain killer !!
One arm blood choke is harder to work

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh dear, believing that is a very big mistake especially when it comes to self defence. I can choke you out with your t shirt quite easily and no, it doesn't tear.

You can put me in a sloppy rear naked and it will work .

Anyone who has practised escapes can get out of it, in fact even people who haven't can. I'm not sure where you get your information from but you need to research a bit more. I just used Google to ask about t shirt chokes and there's dozens of videos showing how to do including some from Krav Maga so I guess you didn't learn everything in your months doing it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be 65 shortly. I've had 13 surgeries including both total knee replacements and reconstructive surgery on my right foot. I'm still training, practicing, and teaching.
Stop focusing on what you can't do and focus on what you can do. Work on bettering some of the things you are struggling with but don't make it a major focus. Take small incremental steps toward betterment. Work on increasing your overall strength, flexibility, and ability to move...standing footwork, head, & body movement and on the ground as well. You Do Not HAVE TO GO HARD. Slowly as you increase your abilities you can increase the pace and the amount of force you are exerting. If your instructor/s and training partners don't understand such and aren't will to work with you at your level you need a different instructor.
YOU have to back off and work at a pace and strength level where your grow and not get injured as well. Don't attempt to 'win' rather work on learning. What often happens is the beginner says let's go easy but then goes fast and hard so the partner goes at the same faster harder level and suddenly the beginner is complaining that it's too hard.
I have my students practice some of the higher kicks and some of the spin kicks not to use them for fighting but rather a attribute development. Works strength, balance, and dynamic stretching as well as the ability to turn quickly. Doesn't mean they are techniques to be used in a fight or to spar with. We do push ups but we don't go into a sparring session or competition to do push ups.
Now just go Train, Have Fun, Get Better, Have Fun, Get Stronger, Have Fun, Get Flexible, Have Fun!
Awesome post, a great reminder :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear, believing that is a very big mistake especially when it comes to self defence. I can choke you out with your t shirt quite easily and no, it doesn't tear.

When I was a little (just a little, honest ;)) younger I very nearly choked myself out with my own t-shirt when I slipped while climbing a tree.

I slipped, my t caught on a branch.

It stretched a bit, and got a hole, but didn't tear...

Now, I'm a bit odd. I quite enjoy sewing. If any clothing in our household needs alteration or repair my wife hands it to me.

I also like messing around with machinery and engines, so I go through quite a few rags.

T-shirts really don't tear all that easily, unless they're very poor quality or you get it going along a seam - even then you usually need to get it going with a preliminary cut.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score

True but few folks wil know how to double grab the wrist .
That is why I keep my head super close to opp head and back hand side of hand on neck or head

Anyone who has practised escapes can get out of it, in fact even people who haven't can. I'm not sure where you get your information from but you need to research a bit more. I just used Google to ask about t shirt chokes and there's dozens of videos showing how to do including some from Krav Maga so I guess you didn't learn everything in your months doing it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"True but few folks wil know how to double grab the wrist ."

Do you really believe that?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just used Google to ask about t shirt chokes and there's dozens of videos showing how to do including some from Krav Maga so I guess you didn't learn everything in your months doing it.
To be clear, he trained krav for 5 years, just felt he learned it all after 18 months.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm..., was teaching 'tee shirt' chokes yesterday to a group self defense class. Had 3 men who all said they believed the ladies could not put them out with a choke. All had tee shirts on. The 3rd decided not to attempt it after seeing the other 2 choked unconscious by a lady using the man's tee shirt. Not a single tee shirt was ripped...stretched a bit but not ripped. But then of course it wasn't you being choked.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I really hope you never have occasion to see how wrong you are.

I can get out of rear mount if the guy knows zero BJJ very easily and stop a choke from a non trained man

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You can be decent in striking in 1 yr

Grappling is 2-4 yrs

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score