Best kicks for average folks

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I ask why you went into an advanced class? I will say too that BJJ is no more 'complex' than KM. With any martial art you start with the basics ( and keep revising them) then advance through the techniques. Anything is going to look complex if you haven't started at ground level.
As Tez says here, anything is confusing if you start in the middle. My experience with BJJ is pretty limited, but nothing I've seen suggests it's more complicated or complex than other grappling. Teaching styles can make things seem more complex if the style doesn't match with your communication/processing style. And both intermediate and advanced classes will typically be taught assuming a base level of knowledge. So, for instance, the instructor might quickly review several concepts related to a given technique, allow a few quick reps to get the idea, then send the class off for lots of rolling to play with those concepts (most of which aren't actually new to the attendees). Which is what it sounds like that class was doing, from your descriptions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never ever train with a gi

I hate it and a bigger guy can get fake grips on me and hold me down . It’s not real the grips
To be clear, this is a foolish rationale. Learn the techniques. Later, when you have an inkling how BJJ works, you can make the distinction between gi/no-gi with some knowledge.

Learning to defend against those grips (not "fake" - they actually exist) is good skill development.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just will never do anything GI.
I only do street cloths- Krav maga
MMA./MT Shorts and T-shirt
BJJ- rash guard, shorts and spandex
So, spandex is what you normally wear, and what you expect someone to wear on the street? You've made a completely irrational decision that a gi is a bad thing. It's just exercise clothing, mate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know think so...
I am 44 years old and I have a tough schedule plus I work full time.
Monday-Thurs I am doing stuff that 24 year old males do.
Mon/Wed- MMA class
Tues/Thurs- BJJ
Thurs- I do a striking class.

That is 5-6 hours of physical contact with people half my age and bigger. It would be nice if I was 175 or 185 pounds

I used to be an ex-Tennis player and I was very good for a club level only player.
You keep making a huge point about your age. I've literally only had three students under 40 in the last 5 years, and taking falls (our falls are like intermediate Judo falls) is harder on the body than rolling. I'm 50, and can still take all the falls and do all the rolling in a regular class when I get a chance (though getting up is harder than it was 20 years ago).

Stop using your age as an excuse.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the time with the Gi as it adds on many more positions , sweeps and chokes
No, it actually doesn't. It requires changes to grips and grip defenses, not the primary body body of techniques, from what I've seen and experienced. And you've already heard that same comment from more than one person in this thread with far more BJJ experience than I have.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t choke me in my T-shirt , the fabric would rip !!!
You can put me in a sloppy rear naked and it will work .
The gable grip choke is very effective as blood or air
The one arm choke is hard to pull of
Have you actually tried this? I teach "street clothes" classes every now and then, and the fabric chokes I teach do work with t-shirts unless they are old and worn out. It'll stretch the t-shirt, but fabric is stronger than you seem to think. When you see it tear in movies, it's usually been fixed to tear easily.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spinning , jumping kicks require too much coordination and flexibility for an avg guy like me .
They’re great if you the skills but not realistic for an avg man !!

a gymnast could learn these high level kicks fast !!! I can’t

Krav kick just uses the shin bone to the groin lol
It's all about technique. I learned jumping kicks in my 30's. I'm working on turning/spinning kicks now at 50. I'm not really a kicker, I'm a grappler. But as he said, it's a great way to work on some physical attributes, so I'll have better balance, etc. when I'm 70.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you actually tried this? I teach "street clothes" classes every now and then, and the fabric chokes I teach do work with t-shirts unless they are old and worn out. It'll stretch the t-shirt, but fabric is stronger than you seem to think. When you see it tear in movies, it's usually been fixed to tear easily.

It's kind of a bit weird sometimes. I know I've commented on it already, but in a somewhat contrary position...

If you practice ripping clothing, you can rip clothing surprisingly easily.

The smoother the fabric (like a cotton mix shirt, the type with a collar), generally the easier it rips - unless it's got multiple layers with contrasting grain, like you get on collars and shoulders.

It usually depends on puncturing the cloth if you want a mid sheet rip - and the more stretch a fabric has (like the material commonly used on t-shirts) the more difficult that is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a bit weird sometimes. I know I've commented on it already, but in a somewhat contrary position...

If you practice ripping clothing, you can rip clothing surprisingly easily.

The smoother the fabric (like a cotton mix shirt, the type with a collar), generally the easier it rips - unless it's got multiple layers with contrasting grain, like you get on collars and shoulders.

It usually depends on puncturing the cloth if you want a mid sheet rip - and the more stretch a fabric has (like the material commonly used on t-shirts) the more difficult that is.

I used to do a lot of dressmaking when my daughter was young, you can get a straighter edge with many materials if you tear it but you do have to start it off with cutting it first.
Choking someone with an item of clothing often means 'bunching' the material up which makes it much harder as you say with the warp and weft going different ways. T shirt material is knitted material not a woven one so is difficult to actually tear without a hole being made first.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to do a lot of dressmaking when my daughter was young, you can get a straighter edge with many materials if you tear it but you do have to start it off with cutting it first.
Choking someone with an item of clothing often means 'bunching' the material up which makes it much harder as you say with the warp and weft going different ways. T shirt material is knitted material not a woven one so is difficult to actually tear without a hole being made first.

There's a bunch of tricks to getting straight edges and consistent tears - or actually tears of any kind.

Just random grabbing and pulling isn't one I remember though.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
76b652f70d6e3aef1537cf2dcf2fec9d.gif

Latest Discussions