Best kicks for average folks

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
as someone who is in his 60s i can tell you you can go into your 60s doing more fighting than technique, as long as your not fighting 25 yo or if you are you need to train harder than them( which in itself is somewhat difficult if they train hard)

maybe only 50s for me lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) MT low shin kick to leg - golden move but what happens if the shins clash with no pads
Both shins break, I've seen it happen very nasty.

snap kick to face - very popular in ufc from rear leg

Not a correction of your post but OP should replace 'UFC' with 'MMA', the sport is MMA, UFC is a business.

I can go well into my 60s as long as the classes are more technique than full fighting

When you get to 60 and have trained a lot you realise you don't have to fight full on because your experience has taught you all the cheats and dirty moves that shorten fights .:D Old and sneaky beats young and fit.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Both shins break, I've seen it happen very nasty.

If your opp does not know MT then I can chop his leg down because the shin contact scares me

Not a correction of your post but OP should replace 'UFC' with 'MMA', the sport is MMA, UFC is a business.

When you get to 60 and have trained a lot you realise you don't have to fight full on because your experience has taught you all the cheats and dirty moves that shorten fights .:D Old and sneaky beats young and fit.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The spinning , jumping kicks require too much coordination and flexibility for an avg guy like me .
They’re great if you the skills but not realistic for an avg man !!

a gymnast could learn these high level kicks fast !!! I can’t

It depends how you define and categorise "average".

In most cases, the majority of people consider themselves as average even if they're way above or below what is really average...

I've never done any sort of gymnastics, or even sport in general (except cycling I suppose, but nowhere near sport level).

I started tkd not long before I was 40.

Jumping kicks, spinning kicks, combinations - takes a bit of practice (and a willingness to pick myself off the floor a few times*) but they're certainly not unrealistic.

I can't get near doing splits so I'm not exactly super flexible, but I can kick above my own head level in front, to side or spinning - even higher with jumping.

So yeah, I'm a pretty average guy...

*Oh, and a bit of sheer bloody-minded attitude helps too. Tell yourself to do it and don't take no for an answer.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends how you define and categorise "average".

In most cases, the majority of people consider themselves as average even if they're way above or below what is really average...

I've never done any sort of gymnastics, or even sport in general (except cycling I suppose, but nowhere near sport level).

I started tkd not long before I was 40.

Jumping kicks, spinning kicks, combinations - takes a bit of practice (and a willingness to pick myself off the floor a few times*) but they're certainly not unrealistic.

I can't get near doing splits so I'm not exactly super flexible, but I can kick above my own head level in front, to side or spinning - even higher with jumping.

So yeah, I'm a pretty average guy...

*Oh, and a bit of sheer bloody-minded attitude helps too. Tell yourself to do it and don't take no for an answer.

Agree. I wonder if @quasar44 is watching high level Olympic sparring videos and thinking that is average. A valid goal? Yes. The average, No.
One of the really cool things that Olympic style sparring has done is provide a SPORT avenue to those interested and capable of making that leap. It should not, and hopefully is not where the bar is set for most WT/KKW schools. To me, this is specifically where the dividing line lies between calling your school traditional or sport. Can a school be both? Sure. But call a spade a spade and identify your school as such. Identify the additional tools your school may have to train Olympic sparring as a functional endeavor.

When WT/Olympic sparring is used as the Only tool in training there is a huge void in the program.
Having been in the Olympic circuit in my day and heavily involved in TKD for nearly 4 decades, I have been to hundreds of schools so I can speak from a base of knowledge. In my experience these programs do exist but are not the norm. I feel the MA community is getting informed enough to realize the negatives in these programs and they will dwindle or realize they must modify their program to be more wholistic and realistic.
This is my hope for the continuation and integrity of TKD long term.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be 65 shortly. I've had 13 surgeries including both total knee replacements and reconstructive surgery on my right foot. I'm still training, practicing, and teaching.
Stop focusing on what you can't do and focus on what you can do. Work on bettering some of the things you are struggling with but don't make it a major focus. Take small incremental steps toward betterment. Work on increasing your overall strength, flexibility, and ability to move...standing footwork, head, & body movement and on the ground as well. You Do Not HAVE TO GO HARD. Slowly as you increase your abilities you can increase the pace and the amount of force you are exerting. If your instructor/s and training partners don't understand such and aren't will to work with you at your level you need a different instructor.
YOU have to back off and work at a pace and strength level where your grow and not get injured as well. Don't attempt to 'win' rather work on learning. What often happens is the beginner says let's go easy but then goes fast and hard so the partner goes at the same faster harder level and suddenly the beginner is complaining that it's too hard.
I have my students practice some of the higher kicks and some of the spin kicks not to use them for fighting but rather a attribute development. Works strength, balance, and dynamic stretching as well as the ability to turn quickly. Doesn't mean they are techniques to be used in a fight or to spar with. We do push ups but we don't go into a sparring session or competition to do push ups.
Now just go Train, Have Fun, Get Better, Have Fun, Get Stronger, Have Fun, Get Flexible, Have Fun!

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes the key is to train and not get injured

I feel I can train at a moderate intestity

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes the key is to train and not get injured

I feel I can train at a moderate intestity

Amalgamating the info about you from a couple of threads, I'd say you need to train at higher than moderate intensity.

Not a nasty comment, but as it stands you're distinctly below average.

Your weight is fine, but from a distance in writing it appears your composition is not.

Possible medical restrictions notwithstanding:

Work on flexibility, work on strength, practice balance - and put in as much effort as you can.

Going in thinking "I must not get injured" will only lead to paranoia about injury and seriously restrict what you're willing and able to do.

Don't be flippant and hurt yourself, obviously, but don't be overly guarding over what you can do.

Every single exercise session should at least ever so slightly push your limit - if it doesn't, you'll never progress.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Amalgamating the info about you from a couple of threads, I'd say you need to train at higher than moderate intensity.

Not a nasty comment, but as it stands you're distinctly below average.

Your weight is fine, but from a distance in writing it appears your composition is not.

Possible medical restrictions notwithstanding:

Work on flexibility, work on strength, practice balance - and put in as much effort as you can.

Going in thinking "I must not get injured" will only lead to paranoia about injury and seriously restrict what you're willing and able to do.

Don't be flippant and hurt yourself, obviously, but don't be overly guarding over what you can do.

Every single exercise session should at least ever so slightly push your limit - if it doesn't, you'll never progress.

Yes my cautioness of injuries has held me back !!!
What about my age ...I am 44 !!!

I am trying to do it all before I get too old
MMA - twice a week for wrestling and ground and pound
Boxing - once a week with some MT mixed in
BJJ - twice a week and still confused . I demoted myself from the general class to the new beg class

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Me in advanced BJJ is a total disaster !!

My fav martial art was Krav Maga !!!

BJJ is a must but it can get too complex

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes my cautioness of injuries has held me back !!!

I'm 43 this year.

I started TKD and kickboxing almost 4 years ago, having done no other 'sports' since school (except a bit of cycling, but not competitive) and never anything MA related (unless 2-3 hours of boxing when I was about 12 counts).

Age as a number you have to simply accept.

Age as a condition is entirely up to you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An MMA fighter I know was 40 before he started training MMA, he'd trained boxing but not groundwork before, he made it to the UFC after fighting on regional fight nights.

Me in advanced BJJ is a total disaster !!

Can I ask why you went into an advanced class? I will say too that BJJ is no more 'complex' than KM. With any martial art you start with the basics ( and keep revising them) then advance through the techniques. Anything is going to look complex if you haven't started at ground level.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
An MMA fighter I know was 40 before he started training MMA, he'd trained boxing but not groundwork before, he made it to the UFC after fighting on regional fight nights.

Because I only do the no-gi and they rarely offer any beg no gi

Can I ask why you went into an advanced class? I will say too that BJJ is no more 'complex' than KM. With any martial art you start with the basics ( and keep revising them) then advance through the techniques. Anything is going to look complex if you haven't started at ground level.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you need to learn to use the quote function here, it makes it easier.:)

If I were you I'd change to BJJ with Gi's if they have a beginner's session, it's pointless struggling with no Gi when you haven't learnt the basics. It really is as simple as that.

Why wouldn't you start at the beginning? You wouldn't do it, I assume, with any other activity, you don't try to swim across the English channel if you can't swim!

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Very few people are Conor Mcgregor and can do insane spinning kicks

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think you need to learn to use the quote function here, it makes it easier.:)

If I were you I'd change to BJJ with Gi's if they have a beginner's session, it's pointless struggling with no Gi when you haven't learnt the basics. It really is as simple as that.

Why wouldn't you start at the beginning? You wouldn't do it, I assume, with any other activity, you don't try to swim across the English channel if you can't swim!

I will never ever train with a gi

I hate it and a bigger guy can get fake grips on me and hold me down . It’s not real the grips

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
KM is super simple compared to BJJ

BJJ is quantum physics lol
I have quit the main no -gi class but I am going to try out the no gi beg classes and see how it goes
I went on thurs and enjoyed it
10 min of rolling I can do but 55 min in the Reg class I cannot

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The coach who teaches the no gi beg is actually super insane technical
I may just try another gym and see how that works
I can afford a few gyms

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never ever train with a gi

I hate it and a bigger guy can get fake grips on me and hold me down . It’s not real the grips

Really? What qualifies you to say this? 'Fake' grips? If someone is holding you there's nothing fake about it, misuse of the word. I don't think as you are just a beginner you have any idea what you are talking about. If I can do Gi BJJ then almost certainly you who are much younger and almost certainly bigger and weigh more can absolutely do it, I don't know why you think you can't. You can be held down in no Gi just as easily by a 'bigger guy' the trick is learning the basics so you can get out. If I can you can.

Common sense dictates that a beginner goes to beginner classes first then moves on not the other way around.

I'm starting to think that the problem is your attitude and thinking you know more than you do.

Latest Discussions