Best kicks for average folks

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will never ever train with a gi

I hate it and a bigger guy can get fake grips on me and hold me down . It’s not real the grips
If anything, gi bjj is just as "real" no-gi bjj. Reason being that, in no gi bjj you're normally wearing a tshirt. Depending where you live/time of year, people may be wearing jackets, hoodies, etc. which can be approximated by a gi. If you refuse to train in one, then you're not learning how to handle those grips.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If anything, gi bjj is just as "real" no-gi bjj. Reason being that, in no gi bjj you're normally wearing a tshirt. Depending where you live/time of year, people may be wearing jackets, hoodies, etc. which can be approximated by a gi. If you refuse to train in one, then you're not learning how to handle those grips.

I only do NOGI and only twice a week
I cannot handle anymore than that
I try to focus on more mma stuff

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Gi is very complex as you have far far more positions and chokes

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only do NOGI and only twice a week
I cannot handle anymore than that
I try to focus on more mma stuff
I'm not really concerned with what you do/don't do. Just wanted to clarify that gi does not mean the positions are fake, or that if your concerned about realness you can just ignore the gi.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not really concerned with what you do/don't do. Just wanted to clarify that gi does not mean the positions are fake, or that if your concerned about realness you can just ignore the gi.

Gi is designed for chokes while cloths rip
No gi is the real one

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Have you ever done BJJ

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No gi is the real one

Nonsense, it's purely down to what you prefer doing and that preference can be influenced by wrong information.
I do both and find that in techniques they aren't so different nor is one easier than the other. Being able to do both gives an extra dimension to your BJJ.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just will never do anything GI.
I only do street cloths- Krav maga
MMA./MT Shorts and T-shirt
BJJ- rash guard, shorts and spandex

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to choke someone wearing a tank top?

I dont know think so...
I am 44 years old and I have a tough schedule plus I work full time.
Monday-Thurs I am doing stuff that 24 year old males do.
Mon/Wed- MMA class
Tues/Thurs- BJJ
Thurs- I do a striking class.

That is 5-6 hours of physical contact with people half my age and bigger. It would be nice if I was 175 or 185 pounds

I used to be an ex-Tennis player and I was very good for a club level only player.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know think so...
Mon/Wed- MMA class
Tues/Thurs- BJJ

That is 5-6 hours of physical contact with people half my age and bigger. It would be nice if I was 175 or 185 pounds

I used to be an ex-Tennis player and I was very good for a club level only player.
You used to be an ex tennis player? Does that mean you play tennis now?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol. These statements.

Here is one example.

And it is one more example than I have ever found of an oblique kick being used in a street fight.

Thanks for the video.Interesting
The guy in white looked surprised, and did not know what to do when he saw the round kick coming,
so he got out of his front stance and and dropped his arm.
The guy in white had his arm in the right position, for some unknown reason he drop his arm and lean back with his upper body,
He was an easy target because he had no footwork.

He could have even not moved and changed the front stance in a horse and do a double arm block.
I don't think he ever fought someone who could kick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know think so...
Mon/Wed- MMA class
Tues/Thurs- BJJ

However you don't roll for very long as your back hurts...according to you. When you say physical contact it's not actually that long is it, as for being with people younger well, that doesn't mean they are any fitter than you. Many people who train are older than you, also have full time jobs and families.

Oh and if you are wearing Muay Thai shorts for MMA please don't …. unless you are wearing shorts underneath, it's never a good look when your undercarriage drops down.

You seem unreasonably biased against doing BJJ in a Gi, I think you have either been ill informed or have badly misunderstood BJJ.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
However you don't roll for very long as your back hurts...according to you. When you say physical contact it's not actually that long is it, as for being with people younger well, that doesn't mean they are any fitter than you. Many people who train are older than you, also have full time jobs and families.

Oh and if you are wearing Muay Thai shorts for MMA please don't …. unless you are wearing shorts underneath, it's never a good look when your undercarriage drops down.

You seem unreasonably biased against doing BJJ in a Gi, I think you have either been ill informed or have badly misunderstood BJJ.

I never wear MT shorts lol
No way
Just reg ones ha

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don’t have the time with the Gi as it adds on many more positions , sweeps and chokes