Back to BJJ ...tomorrow

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t wear gi’s
BJJ is all humbling !! Technically it’s not even called the “ advanced class”..it’s just called general class. I am the most humble guy in the gym or up there
If I was not humble I would quit after 2 days . When I first started I remember being choked out by a high school girl and confused what happened . I never was embarrassed
This is BJJ not TKD

If you have to tell us you are humble, then you aren't.
Why mention that you were choked out by a 'high school girl', why not say that you were choked out by a more experienced student, the fact it's a girl makes no difference at all unless it does to you?

'BJJ not TKD', what's that supposed to mean?

Reactions: pdg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why mention that you were choked out by a 'high school girl', why not say that you were choked out by a more experienced student, the fact it's a girl makes no difference at all unless it does to you?

I have no idea if I'm humble or not - probably not on the whole but I can accept being outdone by someone else who is better than me at that time.

I've been outdone by other people's hands and feet...

Some were attached to girls, some were attached to guys - in all honesty it doesn't make any difference (maybe some of the guys hit harder, being generally bigger).

The bit I have trouble with is hitting them if they're female - that's down to me being raised to not hit women...

Mentally separating the situations of "they're MAists so expect to get hit" vs "woman beating" is still difficult at times. It's a challenge to make that distinction when you're "old" and a bit set in your ways ;)

Of course, some of them do actually complain about getting hit back in sparring, but so do some of the guys, so swings and roundabouts really.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no idea if I'm humble or not - probably not on the whole but I can accept being outdone by someone else who is better than me at that time.

I've been outdone by other people's hands and feet...

Some were attached to girls, some were attached to guys - in all honesty it doesn't make any difference (maybe some of the guys hit harder, being generally bigger).

The bit I have trouble with is hitting them if they're female - that's down to me being raised to not hit women...

Mentally separating the situations of "they're MAists so expect to get hit" vs "woman beating" is still difficult at times. It's a challenge to make that distinction when you're "old" and a bit set in your ways ;)

Of course, some of them do actually complain about getting hit back in sparring, but so do some of the guys, so swings and roundabouts really.

What're you talking about.....

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

'BJJ not TKD', what's that supposed to mean?

Most sporting competitions do have different brackets for men and women, so it does make some difference.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most sporting competitions do have different brackets for men and women, so it does make some difference.

That's because generally men have a competitive advantage over women - if they're at the same sort of level.

They also have classes - based on weight, experience, etc.

A relatively inexperienced man getting beaten by a more experienced woman is only something like an ego hit if you choose to make it one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't 'expect' to get hit, I've done a lot of training to not get hit, if I do it's more than likely to be my fault.

In competitions yes, in training no especially when you are a beginner.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't 'expect' to get hit, I've done a lot of training to not get hit, if I do it's more than likely to be my fault.

You may not expect it - but if it happens do you get all prissy and moan at everyone in earshot that you got hit?

In some cases, I could swap the original "expect" for "accept" which may make it more applicable?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may not expect it - but if it happens do you get all prissy and moan at everyone in earshot that you got hit?
No, why would I? I've never been 'prissy' in all my life, ( prissy in the UK means prudish btw)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure prudish means the same in both languages (English and American) tbf ;)

No, why would I?

Just wondered - you said you don't expect to get hit.

From my vast and far reaching experience :)P) I've found that there are two possible outcomes to getting hit in sparring - you* either accept that you* did something wrong enough to let one through, or you* get all prissy and start announcing stuff like "You just hit me, I can't believe you just hit me, did everyone see that? They just hit me. Oh my god you're so mean for hitting me!"

Also from what I've experienced, gender has no bearing on the reaction to getting hit.

*Collective and general "you", not you personally.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you two seriously arguing with each other about what words mean in the UK when you're both in the UK?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you two seriously arguing with each other about what words mean in the UK when you're both in the UK?

Your definition of arguing is a strange one, of course we aren't arguing, it explains though why you keep taking offence if you think that is arguing!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondered - you said you don't expect to get hit.

Of course I don't because I'm doing my best not to be :D If I get hit it's most definitely my fault....if I'm sparring, if it happened at work it wasn't my fault at all and I arrested the hitter.:D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Words have different meanings in different parts of the US (Do you drink soda, or pop?). While it's true that the UK is a fraction of the size/population of the US, it still seems reasonable that there would be regional differences in how words are used.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't really taking your comment as being directed at me anyway...

It wasn't at all, someone I think was stirring.

Made me laugh that someone thought it was an argument.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wasn't at all, someone I think was stirring.

Made me laugh that someone thought it was an argument.

It'd take a lot more than that to stir me ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
HolyGrail.png

Latest Discussions