Back to BJJ ...tomorrow

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I already am uneasy and nervous

it’s been several weeks . The new coach has become way too complex for my needs and the class has insane rolling .

I like classes that repeat core moves ..this class is so complex that I cannot follow 1/2 of what he is conveying and it’s like you get it or you’re left in the dust

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Even worst is the rolling as I don’t really enjoy being soaked in sweat all freakin day and my back flares up after a few rounds .
I often leave early

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I already am uneasy and nervous

it’s been several weeks . The new coach has become way too complex for my needs and the class has insane rolling .

I like classes that repeat core moves ..this class is so complex that I cannot follow 1/2 of what he is conveying and it’s like you get it or you’re left in the dust
What do you mean by insane rolling?

I ignore things when they get to complex and rely on rolling to just practice positioning until I can get the complex stuff.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even worst is the rolling as I don’t really enjoy being soaked in sweat all freakin day and my back flares up after a few rounds .
I often leave early
The sweat I can't say anything about. As for the back-I've learned to use my heating pad/massage chair about a half hour before I leave, and ice my back afterwards. I would try either or both of those to see if they can help.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The sweat I can't say anything about. As for the back-I've learned to use my heating pad/massage chair about a half hour before I leave, and ice my back afterwards. I would try either or both of those to see if they can help.
For reference I have scoliosis I was born with (not degenerative), along with other spinal issues I don't fully understand. I am not recommending this in place of a doctor, and if you have something that the doctor says you cannot do BJJ for, obviously you should listen to that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The class is so damn long
I wish it was just an hour then I would get to work fast with less smelly sweat

Yeah but you need that insane rolling time to understand the complex techniques.

By the way. Pick one thing you like and focus on that. Try to hit it all the time rolling. Then pick something else that builds on that and so on.

That way you don't get technique overload. And tap more often and earlier. This will happen anyway when you are getting all these new techniques you are trying countered.

Train yourself not to sweat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fresh sweat doesn't smell, and remember you will be sweating too, use it to make the grappling easier, holding onto a sweating person is hard so the more you sweat the easier it is for you. We've had people who leave pools of sweat on the mats, they just get a anti bacterial wipe and clean it up. You should check that the mats are cleaned properly though.
Rolling with more experienced people means you learn more even if you don't think you are, tap, compliment your partner and ask them to show you what they did. Try to not overthink everything, literally just roll with it, many things are instinctive so go with it. BJJ isn't stuck with having to do every technique exactly the same way for everyone, you can do variations. I'm smaller and lighter than the men I roll with so I've been shown different ways of doing things that suit my physique. Try things out and don't be discouraged if they don't work, try something else. You will get there. I don't think the rolling is complex it's more that your partners are experienced and you aren't.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I often leave early
You often leave early?.....and you wonder why you're finding it to complex....also covered in sweat all day? they not these things called showers in your area? If you don't like sweating I don't think martial arts is for you.

If you train bjj and don't like rolling then really there's no point you doing bjj because rolling is a vital part

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I failed to get up at 830 and woke up at 1230

huge disappointment

I will tend the thurs class but it’s back to back with boxing

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but you need that insane rolling time to understand the complex techniques.

By the way. Pick one thing you like and focus on that. Try to hit it all the time rolling. Then pick something else that builds on that and so on.

That way you don't get technique overload. And tap more often and earlier. This will happen anyway when you are getting all these new techniques you are trying countered.

Train yourself not to sweat.

My fav is mma because I like the take downs and getting to your feet

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ComingtoClass.jpeg

ifyoudon'tgotoclass.jpeg

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I need to suck it up and try BJJ one more cycle at my school

I am just loving the mma and boxing programs because they cater to beginners !!!

The BJJ I am on the low food chain

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to suck it up and try BJJ one more cycle at my school

I am just loving the mma and boxing programs because they cater to beginners !!!

The BJJ I am on the low food chain

This is the just places you are going to though, it's not indicative of the actual styles just these particular instructors.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is the just places you are going to though, it's not indicative of the actual styles just these particular instructors.
The old instructor worked more older 90s BJJ but the classes were fun and the rolling was only 15-20 min
The new guy is high level cutting edge stuff and it’s over my head and the rolling is 45-55 min

basically my 44 yr old body cannot handle more than 15-20 min of rolling and mentally I can’t follow some of his classes

Latest Discussions