Back to BJJ ...tomorrow

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wonder what he told the instructor? Perhaps he said he was more experienced that he actually was, get that a lot and by experienced they mean they watch a lot of videos of MMA fights and 'teach yourself' stuff. :rolleyes:

the Class is open to all levels but it seems to only attract the purple and brown killers lol.
I told the coach I had only 9 months of training and I was not very good.
The problem is the class has little instruction and too much time is spent rolling and rolling

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Based on my skills. ... I am just your average White belt in the no-gi.

In the Gi I would be a zero

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My wrestling and boxing is improving but I have made zero improvement in BJJ in 9 months. The last coach was a total HARD AZZZ but he taught effective and practical stuff. The new Coach is too complex FOR ME. The other students are fine but for me its too complex. My brain is in knots. I am sorry to whine

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No its just a major major hobby. I am going to try the Advanced class again a few more times but it looks like a total dead end. The beg class wont cut it as its only 1 hour a week
So it's a hobby....you can the word major before it as much as you like. It's still a hobby. Of course it's a dead end and of course it won't work out. Because you are not good enough to be there. I'm surprised you are even allowed in that class. Beginner class is 1 hour a week....that'll give you more than these advanced classes which you keep whining about....honestly did you really expect to walk into an advanced class of a style you've never trained and be able to keep up with the advanced students let alone hold your own? Because if you did that's either extreme arrogance or ignorance

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wrestling and boxing is improving but I have made zero improvement in BJJ in 9 months. The last coach was a total HARD AZZZ but he taught effective and practical stuff. The new Coach is too complex FOR ME. The other students are fine but for me its too complex. My brain is in knots. I am sorry to whine
It's not the coaches fault....it's your fault for being in a class your not ready for. The coach is doing his job and teaching an advanced class why should he dumb down his class for a guy who shouldn't be in there

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's not the coaches fault....it's your fault for being in a class your not ready for. The coach is doing his job and teaching an advanced class why should he dumb down his class for a guy who shouldn't be in there

Ok I get it.. Your're right.. I wont mention or whine anymore.
I avoid the advanced striking classes and only do the Beg and General classes.

The Beg class is the only class that works but I can only make the 5 pm start time only once a week. I wish I could make it twice a week but I had to pull massive favors for only once

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
the Class is open to all levels but it seems to only attract the purple and brown killers lol.
I told the coach I had only 9 months of training and I was not very good.
The problem is the class has little instruction and too much time is spent rolling and rolling
Yeah because at that level rolling is the main way of improving they already know the fundamentals are at the stage of now putting it into use. Begginer level which you don't want to do is where you spend more time on instruction

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I get it.. Your're right.. I wont mention or whine anymore.
I avoid the advanced striking classes and only do the Beg and General classes.

The Beg class is the only class that works but I can only make the 5 pm start time only once a week. I wish I could make it twice a week but I had to pull massive favors for only once
Then do the one class

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So it's a hobby....you can the word major before it as much as you like. It's still a hobby. Of course it's a dead end and of course it won't work out. Because you are not good enough to be there. I'm surprised you are even allowed in that class. Beginner class is 1 hour a week....that'll give you more than these advanced classes which you keep whining about....honestly did you really expect to walk into an advanced class of a style you've never trained and be able to keep up with the advanced students let alone hold your own? Because if you did that's either extreme arrogance or ignorance

And I wont get beaten the hell up lol. Man the guys go light on me but I am pretty beaten up the rest of the day. This one brown belt goes hard on me

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Then do the one class

Ok I will.
What about just trying another gym that has similar Classes . I can afford a second gym This is my last question on the subject. The other school has a class that is only 1 full hour and the instructor is pretty known for hitting core stuff.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I will.
What about just trying another gym that has similar Classes . I can afford a second gym This is my last question on the subject. The other school has a class that is only 1 full hour and the instructor is pretty known for hitting core stuff.
It's your choice

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The Advanced class did show me how to do a heel hook. I never knew that before lol

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's your choice

I guess I could just sign up for only 3 months and see how it goes lol.
3 Months wont break me... I will make a decision in late FEB.

Thanks !!!!

I think the coach and the guys just liked beating up a new fish lol.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If the person isn't advanced enough for the class, the coach should recommend a spot where the student would be a better fit.

We got a new kid in our dojang a few months ago. He had moved here recently and transferred from another dojang, where he was a green belt. We put him in our green belt class to start. This kid was in way over his head. We're trying to teach the class things like tornado kicks and spin hook kicks, and he couldn't even do a back kick.

What we found out is that while our school goes White -> Yellow -> Purple -> Orange -> Green, his school goes White -> Yellow -> Green. So he's the equivalent of our purple belt (who would just be learning the back kick). He went to the Purple belt class and fit right in.

It does remind me of a funny story, too. We have a guy at our dojang who is in his 60s and speaks barely any English. Well, after our adult class on Saturday, we had our demonstration team. This team is only open by invite, in that every student there has been personally invited by me or my Master. Well, one day I see this guy come in for demo team practice. I just assume my Master invited him and start going through our demo forms. My Master calls me into his office and asks what he's doing there. Luckily we have a lady on our demo team who speaks his language, and she was able to ask him what happened. He just saw a lot of black belts in our demo team and assumed it was a black belt class.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If the person isn't advanced enough for the class, the coach should recommend a spot where the student would be a better fit.

We got a new kid in our dojang a few months ago. He had moved here recently and transferred from another dojang, where he was a green belt. We put him in our green belt class to start. This kid was in way over his head. We're trying to teach the class things like tornado kicks and spin hook kicks, and he couldn't even do a back kick.

What we found out is that while our school goes White -> Yellow -> Purple -> Orange -> Green, his school goes White -> Yellow -> Green. So he's the equivalent of our purple belt (who would just be learning the back kick). He went to the Purple belt class and fit right in.

It does remind me of a funny story, too. We have a guy at our dojang who is in his 60s and speaks barely any English. Well, after our adult class on Saturday, we had our demonstration team. This team is only open by invite, in that every student there has been personally invited by me or my Master. Well, one day I see this guy come in for demo team practice. I just assume my Master invited him and start going through our demo forms. My Master calls me into his office and asks what he's doing there. Luckily we have a lady on our demo team who speaks his language, and she was able to ask him what happened. He just saw a lot of black belts in our demo team and assumed it was a black belt class.

I think the coach should have said ..you don’t belong here

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One class we did the electric chair and banana split and my head just went dead

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on my skills. ... I am just your average White belt in the no-gi.

In the Gi I would be a zero

So, the problem is your ego, you want to be seen to have skills even when you don't so you go into an advanced class telling the instructor you are better than you then moan about being hurt when the other students take you at your word. If black belts can happily put on a white belt when they train in another style you should have no problem in taking the class that is the most suitable for you.
Enjoy your bruises and when you cause others to be hurt through your inexperience I hope that makes you feel a little more humble.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, the problem is your ego, you want to be seen to have skills even when you don't so you go into an advanced class telling the instructor you are better than you then moan about being hurt when the other students take you at your word. If black belts can happily put on a white belt when they train in another style you should have no problem in taking the class that is the most suitable for you.
Enjoy your bruises and when you cause others to be hurt through your inexperience I hope that makes you feel a little more humble.

I don’t wear gi’s
BJJ is all humbling !! Technically it’s not even called the “ advanced class”..it’s just called general class. I am the most humble guy in the gym or up there
If I was not humble I would quit after 2 days . When I first started I remember being choked out by a high school girl and confused what happened . I never was embarrassed
This is BJJ not TKD

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t wear gi’s
BJJ is all humbling !! Technically it’s not even called the “ advanced class”..it’s just called general class. I am the most humble guy in the gym or up there
If I was not humble I would quit after 2 days . When I first started I remember being choked out by a high school girl and confused what happened . I never was embarrassed
This is BJJ not TKD

"I don't wear gi's" invalidates all that humbleness you talk about.
So does "I am the most humble guy in the gym".

Latest Discussions