Should I continue private lessons with my coach ????

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I see a Wrestling coach on Fridays for 90 min at 60 dollars.
Early on it was fun because I never had a clue about anything grappling. I mean I knew zero .. Did not even know what an under hook or over hook was.
HE showed me some nice things but it does not appear to be as much as I expected !!!!

Its a super long drive to his place and very time consuming. Many of our sessions I can only practice on a dummy and not a person.

My new MMA Class : the coach covers a lot of MMA Wrestling. HE has taught me several cool body lock take downs that my private coach never showed me. Also on ytube I have found other cool simple moves that my coach never showed me.
I am kind of disappointed as the more I explore Wrestling , the more moves I find that he never told me.
I feel right now my body is taxed as my classes only fall Monday-Thurs and I cannot do any more days at this age.
I dont want to quit the coach forever.
You think I should move on from him or maybe just text him that I want to restart in the fall because I am so busy with work and other classes. He has showed me some good things that I did not know. How to move, some defense, some grip breaking, some bjj, some escapes on ground, some single and double legs.

Any suggestions. We have not trained in several weeks and are supposed to retrain again in only 6 weeks.
I kind of want to push it back to the fall.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So now you have issue with your wrestling instructor as well as the bjj one?.....ever thought that the problems you not the instructor

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Early on it was fun because I never had a clue about anything grappling. I mean I knew zero .. Did not even know what an under hook or over hook was.
HE showed me some nice things but it does not appear to be as much as I expected !!!!

Its a super long drive to his place and very time consuming. Many of our sessions I can only practice on a dummy and not a person.

My new MMA Class : the coach covers a lot of MMA Wrestling. HE has taught me several cool body lock take downs that my private coach never showed me. Also on ytube I have found other cool simple moves that my coach never showed me.
I am kind of disappointed as the more I explore Wrestling , the more moves I find that he never told me.
I feel right now my body is taxed as my classes only fall Monday-Thurs and I cannot do any more days at this age.
You think I should move on from him or maybe just text him that I want to restart in the fall because I am so busy with work and other classes. He has showed me some good things that I did not know. How to move, some defense, some grip breaking, some bjj, some escapes on ground, some single and double legs.

Any suggestions. We have not trained in several weeks and are supposed to retrain again in only 6 weeks.
im a bit mystified what your trying to achieve to be honest, why so many MA? any ''project'' needs a clearly defined end goal or you will never know if you've achieved it or not

its completely unnecessary if self defence is your goal and counter intuitive if your actually trying to get good in order to complete, in fact if your just trying to get good for the hell of it

and no wrestling with a dummy is not the best way of learning to wrestle, i thought that was reasonably obvious, unless its best coz you cant deal with anything that fights back, in which case carry on with the dummy

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
any ''project'' needs a clearly defined end goal or you will never know if you've achieved it or not

That's not strictly true though.

I have a "project" which is to get fitter.

I never intend to have an end for it - but I can measure periodically to see whether I'm progressing or at the very least maintaining.

Likewise, "learn xyz martial art" - where is the end of that?

In either case, setting an "end" can only lead to selling yourself short.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Are you traveling a long distance because you do not have many options for training closer to you? If so, you have to make what you have work for you.
There will/should ALWAYS be new technique discovered, even within the same system. Often, for experienced people this means realizing new application for the same technique.

I love your enthusiasm, it is truly infectious. You are apparently willing to put the work in (and travel time, etc...) to train. But there is a Huge difference between being shown a new technique and drilling it a few days or even weeks versus drilling something until it becomes engrained muscle memory.

If the gym/style/coach you want to work out is near you, everything else becomes easier and more efficient. I would argue that you will be Much more successful even if you have to change styles to get closer to home.

Any kind of quality exercise becomes a grind at some point. This is often at the peak of the 'new' wearing off and the realization that there will be a LOT of repetition going forward. This Is MA, MMA, fighting training.

Your last two sentences confused me a little. If you are only seeing the guy every 6 weeks or so I don't really get it. This sounds like something more advanced people do to work a 'specialty' skill(s) with a specific person. Not regular training.

Under this vein, it sounds like a huge waste of time and money.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love your enthusiasm, it is truly infectious. You are apparently willing to put the work in (and travel time, etc...) to train.

I find him extremely contradictory.

He's putting time in, but not concentrating on anything.

He's complaining that one instructor (the private one) isn't showing him anything complex or advanced, yet in another breath complaining that the BJJ class is far too technical, complex and advanced and he only needs basic stuff.

Then he's also stating that because of his hugely advanced years (44 :/) that he lacks the potential of capability.

And, saying that there's no point working on strength and conditioning because he's only(!) 155lbs.

If enthusiasm = paying and turning up and thinking that's enough, then yeah, he's enthusiastic.

But, I personally think deluded and self centered (but with a low and restricted self image) is a closer fit.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So now you have issue with your wrestling instructor as well as the bjj one?.....ever thought that the problems you not the instructor

It’s not me as I love my boxing and mma coaches !!
Not me

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score

He's complaining that one instructor (the private one) isn't showing him anything complex or advanced, yet in another breath complaining that the BJJ class is far too technical, complex and advanced and he only needs basic stuff.

Then he's also stating that because of his hugely advanced years (44 :/) that he lacks the potential of capability.

And, saying that there's no point working on strength and conditioning because he's only(!) 155lbs.

If enthusiasm = paying and turning up and thinking that's enough, then yeah, he's enthusiastic.

But, I personally think deluded and self centered (but with a low and restricted self image) is a closer fit.

i try to hit the weight room once a week

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are you traveling a long distance because you do not have many options for training closer to you? If so, you have to make what you have work for you.
There will/should ALWAYS be new technique discovered, even within the same system. Often, for experienced people this means realizing new application for the same technique.

I love your enthusiasm, it is truly infectious. You are apparently willing to put the work in (and travel time, etc...) to train. But there is a Huge difference between being shown a new technique and drilling it a few days or even weeks versus drilling something until it becomes engrained muscle memory.

If the gym/style/coach you want to work out is near you, everything else becomes easier and more efficient. I would argue that you will be Much more successful even if you have to change styles to get closer to home.

Any kind of quality exercise becomes a grind at some point. This is often at the peak of the 'new' wearing off and the realization that there will be a LOT of repetition going forward. This Is MA, MMA, fighting training.

Your last two sentences confused me a little. If you are only seeing the guy every 6 weeks or so I don't really get it. This sounds like something more advanced people do to work a 'specialty' skill(s) with a specific person. Not regular training.

Under this vein, it sounds like a huge waste of time and money.

We were going every week but have took a break the last several weeks .’
This is in Phoenix ,AZ . I think I have decided to retry again with him in the fall .
I just reached my limit of 5 classes a week from mon-thurs and I can’t do anymore

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And what do you do when you're in there, sit and look at stuff?

If you're not trying to improve your strength, why go?
You can do something without having a goal for it. I've got no goals in running/speed/stamina at the moment, yet I still go out to run when the mood strikes.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can do something without having a goal for it. I've got no goals in running/speed/stamina at the moment, yet I still go out to run when the mood strikes.

But look at the context.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I agree. I was trying to be supportive in what I said:cool:. I have commented before that the OP needs to stop analyzing what other people can do and just do the work for his/her self. The results will speak for themselves when this happens.

Realizing there is no quick fix is very hard for some folks.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I was trying to be supportive in what I said:cool:. I have commented before that the OP needs to stop analyzing what other people can do and just do the work for his/her self. The results will speak for themselves when this happens.

Realizing there is no quick fix is very hard for some folks.

I have the time and patience but once I hit late 40s things will be scaled back

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And what do you do when you're in there, sit and look at stuff?

If you're not trying to improve your strength, why go?

today
4 sets of leg press
4 sets for calves
3 sets of preacher Curls for biceps
4 sets of machine shoulder presses
3 sets of triceps with dumbbell over head
Plus few more arm stuff