How clean is your dojo?

B

Bigodinho

WLMantisKid said:
Our school is like a second home to us. We always clean up after ourselves and make efforts to keep things in working shape and order. It just makes it more pleasant for us. The Feng Shui is great.
Our school is like a second home to us too, which is why it's always dirty. lol

Actually we train on a smooth cement floor so unless we sweep and mop every single day, the floor can get a bit dusty. Therefore, there are plenty of days we go home with fairly dirty feet. Other than that, we try and keep it the same way we find it, which means no water bottles left lying around when we leave. Throw away your trash, people! :)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's OK...could be better, could be worse. Main problem is the cardio-kickboxing classes. We don't wear shoes, but they do, and they track in stuff from outdoors. Wish they'd keep a separate pair just for the dojo.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Every Saturday after class the Assistant Instructors stay after and vacuum, dust, take out the trash, clean teh mirrors, and clean the bathrooms. I beleive there is also a cleaning service that steams the carpets periodically. We don't use mats.

We have the cleanest schools Ive ever been to (which isnt many but it is some). I went to one the otehr day and it was RANK! nasty smelling floor.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The dojo I consider my "home" dojo (not out of my home, but it is the school I have done most of my training at- though now 3 hours away from me) is kept very clean. The workout area is half carpet and half canvas and both are cleaned regularly. There is a smell to the dojo........I wouldn't call it a bad smell.....but a smell I would recognize anywhere as my dojo......I think it is a combination of the tire shavings under the canvas and probably sweat too.....just a gym-type of smell I guess. My other dojo is in someone's garage. The floor is puzzle mats that don't get swept as often as they should. Now that it is summer, we keep the garage door open during class so stuff gets in. It could be cleaner.

:asian: :karate:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Dojo is clean, our instructor also sprays the pads regularly and we have to ware wraps or gloves when working on pads, this is to aviod any blood transferral.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's actually a japanese term for this, i think it's something like nitten sojai...i believe it means something like daily chores..but i'm sure somebody will correct me on that...anyway, dave lowry wrote a good article about it and it can be found in one of his books. He says, and i agree...that if cleaning of the dojo is a regular thing...everyone should take part..just because you're higher rank doesn't mean you don't have to do anything anymore...with more rank means more responisbility...not less. As for me...sometimes it pointless to clean...when i'm at school for most of the year i train at the college...for taekwondo we use a beautiful dance room...hardwood floors, one wall lined with mirrors, nice and big, as well as the janitors in the building we regularly sweep the room just to pick up some of the extra dirt that gets in from all the other classes that get held there...for judo and jujutsu we use the wrestling room, which is beyond hope for any type of cleaning, as those who have ever been in a wrestling room can attest too...