Back to BJJ ...tomorrow

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One guy is 280 blue belt and he is super nice but injures folks. He only uses muscle and size and has no technique .
One guy is the big old brown belt who I cannot stand . He kills me but has never done anything outside BJJ

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It’s clear I like BJJ but this new guy and program is a bad fit !!!

This new age cutting edge BJJ is total crap if your just a white or blue guy and you only care about the basics

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now if your a higher belt and you compete then this new cutting edge stuff is vital

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now if your a higher belt and you compete then this new cutting edge stuff is vital

Being honest, I have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you think it's 'new cutting edge'? I'm thinking that you have got yourself into an advanced class for those who want to compete rather than a BJJ class that will fit you.
We teach BJJ to the needs of the student ( as we do with stand up), more techniques, escapes and take downs for the more advanced student, basics for the less experienced. The students do roll with each other but usually to the standard of the less experienced, it works well for all the students. The more advanced don't go mad with the less experienced who will tap out more but also learn more, the more experienced learn to use techniques rather than muscle. Watching the experienced students roll with each other is also a great lesson. Our adult students are mostly military so have chances to train elsewhere, many were on operations with Americans and Canadians and have learnt a lot of wrestling moves from them which they brought back to show us. They also train in their home towns when on leave so yet more to pick up, and of course on those boring guard duties/operations there's always videos of fights to watch lol.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
All you've done is whine about your instructor...literally the majority of your posts are whining about how much you dislike it. You literally posted 4 replies in a row stating it. You have 2 choices. Stick at it and stop the complaining or go somewhere else

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did attend the no gi beg class and liked it !!!
The reg no gi class I am going to try again next week

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Being honest, I have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you think it's 'new cutting edge'? I'm thinking that you have got yourself into an advanced class for those who want to compete rather than a BJJ class that will fit you.
We teach BJJ to the needs of the student ( as we do with stand up), more techniques, escapes and take downs for the more advanced student, basics for the less experienced. The students do roll with each other but usually to the standard of the less experienced, it works well for all the students. The more advanced don't go mad with the less experienced who will tap out more but also learn more, the more experienced learn to use techniques rather than muscle. Watching the experienced students roll with each other is also a great lesson. Our adult students are mostly military so have chances to train elsewhere, many were on operations with Americans and Canadians and have learnt a lot of wrestling moves from them which they brought back to show us. They also train in their home towns when on leave so yet more to pick up, and of course on those boring guard duties/operations there's always videos of fights to watch lol.

I don’t know
We spent classes on single and double X stuff and I just did not need that complex
I just need core stuff

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know
We spent classes on single and double X stuff and I just did not need that complex
I just need core stuff

Basically you have no idea of martial arts. You jumped straight into an advanced class then moaned it was too hard. You have some insane prejudice about BJJ in Gis, probably brought about by not actually understanding what is going on because you went into an advanced class but not your fault, the instructors of course. I mean why would the instructor teach advanced techniques in an advanced class when he knew you wanted something basic? the nerve of him!

On your comment on Conor, he didn't start off doing 'crazy spinning kicks' no one does, you start at the beginning and learn how to do them, you start with the basics then advance.

So one basic class and you're ready for the harder class. Are you really that obtuse? Stay with the beginner class until the instructor says you are ready to move. Do some research into Judo, BJJ and Jujutsu and educate yourself about grappling in a Gi, if you don't like doing it fair enough but at least have a proper reason not 'it's fake holds'. 'fake' doesn't mean what you think it means.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
On your comment on Conor, he didn't start off doing 'crazy spinning kicks' no one does, you start at the beginning and learn how to do them, you start with the basics then advance.

I think the majority of people can do those sorts of kicks.

There are two small groups that can't:

Those with a true physical reason - such as the older woman at tkd with two replacement knees, or that guy with the inner ear problem who actually has trouble standing on one foot.

Those who convince themselves they can't.

For everyone else - yes, they'll very rarely do them first time, or second time, or maybe twentieth time - but with practice and perseverance they'll get there.

The issue for the second group is they'll see people doing it and assume they're particularly gifted trained gymnasts or something and never try.

you went into an advanced class but not your fault, the instructors of course. I mean why would the instructor teach advanced techniques in an advanced class when he knew you wanted something basic? the nerve of him!

In a way I think it is the instructor's fault - for letting him join in.

Related to this as well as the point above:

Not long after I started tkd I stayed behind to watch the more advanced classes a few times. I wasn't 'advanced' so therefore I couldn't participate...

I could have watched and thought "I'll never be able to do that" and blamed the instructors for doing stuff too advanced.

But I didn't.

What I did was think "I've got work to do", and got on with doing it. Nearly 4 years later and I'm miles away from finishing that work ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I don’t know
I just need core stuff

So the complaints you've had about the class being too advanced/complex..was you going to the advanced class while being a beginner? And the beginner class was more your speed? I think I found your issue.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So the complaints you've had about the class being too advanced/complex..was you going to the advanced class while being a beginner? And the beginner class was more your speed? I think I found your issue.

they only have 2 beg no gi and I can now only make one

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a way I think it is the instructor's fault - for letting him join in.

I wonder what he told the instructor? Perhaps he said he was more experienced that he actually was, get that a lot and by experienced they mean they watch a lot of videos of MMA fights and 'teach yourself' stuff. :rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Then that is enough, don't run before you can walk. You won't get better in an advanced class if you are a beginner, you'll just have to be patience and work hard and yes you have many years to get good so please don't whine about being old. I should be so old.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then that's your own issues. Are you trying to get a shot at the UFC? Or is it a hobby? If it's a hobby then once is enough if that's all you can attend. Of course your not going to be able to hang in the advance class. But you seem to think because YOU are not good enough to be in the advanced class then that's the instructors fault. It's not

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
please don't whine about being old

So I took the kids rollerblading this afternoon.

I've just thought though, being so old maybe I should've sat at the side of the hall and watched instead of taking my skates and joining in...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I took the kids rollerblading this afternoon.

I've just thought though, being so old maybe I should've sat at the side of the hall and watched instead of taking my skates and joining in...

But where's the fun in sitting out even if you need ten Ibuprofen, Tiger Balm and a week off work afterwards.
I'm trying to get fitter at the moment, my granddaughter is 11 months and she can move like lightening, need to keep up lol.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
But where's the fun in sitting out even if you need ten Ibuprofen, Tiger Balm and a week off work afterwards.
I'm trying to get fitter at the moment, my granddaughter is 11 months and she can move like lightening, need to keep up lol.

It's only 2 hours of skating, not that bad.

I might have slightly sore inner thigh muscles again for a day or two, but they'll get used to it.

My two nieces (both 6) came today too, so a good portion of the time was spent holding them upright as it was their first time skating.

And yeah, it's amazing how quick small kids can shift when they want to - I'm positive both of mine knew how to teleport across the room as there's no other way to move that fast...

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well then that's your own issues. Are you trying to get a shot at the UFC? Or is it a hobby? If it's a hobby then once is enough if that's all you can attend. Of course your not going to be able to hang in the advance class. But you seem to think because YOU are not good enough to be in the advanced class then that's the instructors fault. It's not

No its just a major major hobby. I am going to try the Advanced class again a few more times but it looks like a total dead end. The beg class wont cut it as its only 1 hour a week

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No its just a major major hobby. I am going to try the Advanced class again a few more times but it looks like a total dead end. The beg class wont cut it as its only 1 hour a week

Sigh.

Latest Discussions