Should I continue private lessons with my coach ????

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am 44 and when I am 48 I don’t think I can keep this pace up even through it’s only 5 classes per week . Maybe it’s mental ???

Yes, it is mental but most things are. That looks like a decent weight workout. It is a bit confusing how you tend to look forward and automatically concede a level of defeat. Instead of already thinking you will have to pull back as you get older, just work on getting stronger now. It is entirely possible you will find a better health and fitness level that is sustainable late into life.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am 44 and when I am 48 I don’t think I can keep this pace up even through it’s only 5 classes per week . Maybe it’s mental ???

If you think you can, or if you think you can't - you're probably right.

I'm 43, I'm doing more in terms of actual targeted exercise now than ever before.

I see no reason whatsoever to stop, or scale back.

In fact, as my fitness increases the plan is to scale up in line with it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
today
4 sets of leg press
4 sets for calves
3 sets of preacher Curls for biceps
4 sets of machine shoulder presses
3 sets of triceps with dumbbell over head
Plus few more arm stuff

Unless you've been doing that all your life, if you're not getting stronger then you're not doing it right.

You've stated that you aren't physically able to lift another person - you really should be able to unless you have undisclosed physiological impairments.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What about the private Coach ??

I think I should retry in the fall ??

I feel that I am loaded up on classes on M-Thurs and need 3 days off

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Plus it’s $240 a month and the drive is easily another full tank

These classes always change every year ...so I hope he won’t be mad if I delay him another 6 months

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That sounds like a good goal. Go gettum’, sir.

One word of advice if I may....

No need to worry about your age. It changes all the time anyway.

I like you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you continue what you're doing, you should be more fit/able at 48 to do all that activity then you are now.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think I should retry in the fall ??

I feel that I am loaded up on classes on M-Thurs and need 3 days off

Are you working fulltime? Do you have a family? Any other hobbies/pastimes? If so 4 days/week of quality workout time should be plenty. Plus, didn't you mention you are lifting weights as well?

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are you working fulltime? Do you have a family? Any other hobbies/pastimes? If so 4 days/week of quality workout time should be plenty. Plus, didn't you mention you are lifting weights as well?

I have full time job of 35 hrs to 40

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope the coach understands and will work with me later on

This new mma class is much better and it kind of pushed him out of my 2020 picture

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope the coach understands and will work with me later on

This new mma class is much better and it kind of pushed him out of my 2020 picture
It's a fact of the field that people take breaks. Typically there are no hard feelings, people understand that people get busy/cross train/lose motivation/etc., and will come back when they can...or won't. But taking a break is not something that should prevent him from working with you in the future, and if it is that's a big ol' red flag.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have full time job of 35 hrs to 40
Keeping your travel time to a minimum makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.
I still suggest you get a handle on the 4 days/week and gym workouts before giving any thought to sparse workouts that are far from home.
When you find your footing you will have a better feel for whether the workout or trainer that is farther away is worth it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think 1 on 1 is a good teaching method. The best way to learn is to stand behind your teacher and copy his move. In order to do so, you will need a training partner.

The day when your teacher is 80 years old, it doesn't matter how much you may pay him, he won't let you to shoulder throw him over your head 200 times in 2 hours. But if you don't throw your partner (your teacher), you won't learn the throw.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think 1 on 1 is a good teaching method. The best way to learn is to stand behind your teacher and copy his move. In order to do so, you will need a training partner.

The day when your teacher is 80 years old, it doesn't matter how much you may pay him, he won't let you to shoulder throw him over your head 200 times in 2 hours. But if you don't throw your partner (your teacher), you won't learn the throw.
Yes I agree . I tried to get him to find me a partner but he said nobody my age wants to do wrestling .
Practicing only on a dummy won’t cut it .
My new mma beg class we get to work take downs on real people
Huge diff

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I took a few striking lessons with him and it was subpar !!!
His talents are in wrestling and he holds a brown belt in BJJ
However his BJJ has many odd and strange holds and moves that did not click with me .
So we just did wrestling and I thought it was the best until I saw all the moves on ytube and in mma class he never showed me !!!
His wrestling is more high school style not mma

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Except the teacher isn't 80 right now.

Latest Discussions