Are you supposed to wash your karate belt?

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
The belt washing myth comes from Sumo.
In Sumo, the mawashi is not washed. It is made of silk and if
washed on a regular basis, will lose it's stiffness. It is spot cleaned
when nessesary but not usually nessesary because the Sumo
player is usually bathed before wearing it. When worn out,
it is replaced.

A dirty belt is not nessesarily unsanitary.
Bacteria causes the smell associated with dirty laundry. If
you hang your gear to dry, you will kill the bacteria. Better yet,
hang it in the sun. I have seen pictures of Funakoshi practicing
and seeing keikogi hanging to dry in the background. College
students did not have the time and money to wash their keikogi
after every class.

As for legend and tradition, there is none. Give it up.
Washing your mawashi in Japan maybe common, but
remember, Okinawan culture can be different.

I do believe that the color system came from Europe.
My mother in-law told me a story of when she was a little
girl in prewar Germany. She told me that everyone wore a band
of color around their hat to show what grade they were in.

Peace.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
By washing your belt you wash away your spirit and hard work. The concept of colored belts is an American idea. Traditionally you received one belt, and you were not to wash it. As you train the belt became darker and that is the idea of how we have our belt system. The higher rank the darker the belt. Your belt should never need washed because you should not wear it outside of your training area. You should not be able to get food on it. If you are having a problem with the smell hang it out and let the air get to it.

Wow, then I should have just run mine over with the minivan a few times and gotten myself a brown belt at least. :uhyeah:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a myth of tradition I apreciate. I wash the excess dye out of it when I get it, but then I don't wash it anymore. I hang it to dry as necessary and I haven't had any fungus, stench or sweat stains on it, yet I've soaked it with sweat many times. Drying it in the sun kills the bacteria, but leaves the salt which breaks down fibers, making your belt lose it's stiffness, breaking it in easier. Unless it's a BB, if it gets too frayed, I'll buy a new one. If it is a BB, I'll only buy a new one when it's falling apart. In my experience, unless your grinding it up yourself, belts are quite durable and will last for years or even decades. I plan on taking karate at least until third-dan and possibly as far as fifth-dan. I like the idea of my stripes being on my original BB. I will continue to hold to this particular myth of tradition. There's always febreeze.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a myth of tradition I apreciate. I wash the excess dye out of it when I get it, but then I don't wash it anymore. I hang it to dry as necessary and I haven't had any fungus, stench or sweat stains on it, yet I've soaked it with sweat many times. Drying it in the sun kills the bacteria, but leaves the salt which breaks down fibers, making your belt lose it's stiffness, breaking it in easier. Unless it's a BB, if it gets too frayed, I'll buy a new one. If it is a BB, I'll only buy a new one when it's falling apart. In my experience, unless your grinding it up yourself, belts are quite durable and will last for years or even decades. I plan on taking karate at least until third-dan and possibly as far as fifth-dan. I like the idea of my stripes being on my original BB. I will continue to hold to this particular myth of tradition. There's always febreeze.

the okinawan tradition is not to wash the belt ever. but like you said.. if you dont put it in a dark space wet you will not get mold or smell. I have mine in my bag with my gi and never had an problem with smell ... as for a BB well my sensei has an obi that is at least 18 years old and I know its not his first bb. It is getting to the point were it is almost white for much of its lenth. ( no he has never had it on a tree or some such stupidity.. its at least 18 years old...) and I think he will replace it when it will not do its job any more....

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've had my current belt for a littel over a year and I washe dit once. I was going through a week of all-day sessions, and it was gettign so sweated out that it was getting salt stains on it. So (staying in a hotel) I washed it with some hand soap in the sink and let it drip dry. The color did bleed a bit, but it is otherwise unchanged.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just remember, folks, your knowledge of Karate is inside you, not on you.

Washing a belt for the sake of keeping from smelling badly, is not a sin at all, and if anything, I still encourage people to once in a while, put the belt in a load of cold wash, gentle cycle, and some Woolite Dark detergent (the mildest detergent that I know of).

Take the belt out, and let it drip dry, and you have a clean belt, almost no fading, and it's still in great condition.

I had a particular student who never did wash his belt. Even though he always wore a clean gi, the belt smelled like someone had rubbed it with spoiled Limberger cheese. That's when I gave him a bottle of Woolite Dark for his birthday.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering my daughter got Key Lime Yogurt all over my belt, I washed it off after it dried with Lava soap. I hope the Karate gods didn't notice.
Sean

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering my daughter got Key Lime Yogurt all over my belt, I washed it off after it dried with Lava soap. I hope the Karate gods didn't notice.
Sean
Y'know, I don't think that qualifies as "washing off experience" so I think you're okay!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ya I think that washing the yogurt off with a damp cloth qualifys as "washing your belt. but I would say traditionaly and all.. dont put it in the washing machine or sink and do a full wash.. if you hang it out in the sun if soaked with sweat it will not stink and will dry..

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to go for a lavender scented softener hehe!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting question, Ray B to which I ironically add this post :lol:.

It's odd how certain myths and practises arise in the martial arts. Sometimes there is a genuine reason for them and sometimes it is a 'rationale' invented in a country other than the arts origin that is intended to show respect and reverence.

Whilst the respect should never be mocked (assuming it is deserved) practicality should be the ultimate arbiter of some of the non-traditional-traditions e.g. if your kit smells unpleasant then please wash it! ROFL.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting question, {b]Ray B[/b] to which I ironically add this post :lol:.

It's odd how certain myths and practises arise in the martial arts. Sometimes there is a genuine reason for them and sometimes it is a 'rationale' invented in a country other than the arts origin that is intended to show respect and reverence.

Whilst the respect should never be mocked (assuming it is deserved) practicality should be the ultimate arbiter of some of the non-traditional-traditions e.g. if your kit smells unpleasant then please wash it! ROFL.
There is always dry cleaning or the opportunity for an upgrade in belt quality by purchasing a shiny new one.
Sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never ever washed my original BB, it smells and everything thank god for fabreeze.
icon10.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I have the utmost respect for you but, fabreeze not withstanding, please stand downwind :lol:.

I'm too tired now to read back through this entire thread so can someone enlighten me as to where this particular attitude to cleanliness came from?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have asked people who trained in Okinawa for extensive periods of time and they said it was not a Okinawan thing but a western thing.

Latest Discussions