Are you supposed to wash your karate belt?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counting up my belts I have 11 TSD and 10 karate................... Oo-er missus!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that is quite a number...

All pursued for one purpose lol! And yes some of them have been washed! that may well be getting into too much information lmao!!

Shuri Ryu Sonny

White Belt
Reaction score
hey, i have a white belt in karate, and was wondering if its ok to wash it. :idunno:

In my school it is taught that the dirt, sweat, and other things that happen upon your belt are looked on as experience. But my Sensei also says that if your cat pees on it feel free to wash it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
one of our white belts washed his with something red & now he's a pink belt. i'm trying to convince our coach to put off any promotions of his, lest we should lose our only pink belt.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of our white belts washed his with something red & now he's a pink belt. i'm trying to convince our coach to put off any promotions of his, lest we should lose our only pink belt.

jf

:lol:

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
hey, i have a white belt in karate, and was wondering if its ok to wash it. :idunno:
Never wash your white belt this symbolizes the heart sweat and blood put into your training. If you wash it you was away all the wisdom in which this symbolizes!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never wash your white belt this symbolizes the heart sweat and blood put into your training. If you wash it you was away all the wisdom in which this symbolizes!

Well that fits with your sig lol!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bullcrap.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing stories like this. Knowledge and wisdom are inside of you -- not on your clothes. You can't wash them off, and spouting silliness like this is just silly.

I was taught that it's tradition not to wash your belt -- but also, use some common sense and if the belt gets filthy or nasty smelling or is otherwise gross... WASH IT!

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bullcrap.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing stories like this. Knowledge and wisdom are inside of you -- not on your clothes. You can't wash them off, and spouting silliness like this is just silly.

I was taught that it's tradition not to wash your belt -- but also, use some common sense and if the belt gets filthy or nasty smelling or is otherwise gross... WASH IT!
realistically students are never at a belt level through the colors long enough to get a "smelly belt" and if you want a faded out black belt that is your deal, but I feel it is disrespectful to what your belt symbolizes, to wash it especially your black belt!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
realistically students are never at a belt level through the colors long enough to get a "smelly belt" and if you want a faded out black belt that is your deal, but I feel it is disrespectful to what your belt symbolizes, to wash it especially your black belt!
Which is a very different answer than "don't wash it or you'll wash the wisdom out of it."

I can respect an answer like this one; I may not completely agree -- but I can respect it. Why bother with the silly answer when there's a perfectly good one that's not silly?

My students can easily spend 2 years at a given belt level; I was a brown belt for something like 4 or 5 years. We also train outside on occasion, and will use the belts to do some exercises, too. They can get dirty...

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which is a very different answer than "don't wash it or you'll wash the wisdom out of it."

I can respect an answer like this one; I may not completely agree -- but I can respect it. Why bother with the silly answer when there's a perfectly good one that's not silly?

Well I appreciate it and the first one was "silly" because that was passed down from instructor to student for years! I apologize.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions