Are you supposed to wash your karate belt?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'know... I just reread the entire thread.

It's almost mind boggling how often the same myths and ideas (wash the luck/strength/experience/wisdom out, belts became black through embedded grime, they don't wash them in the Old Country...) come up and persist -- even when very authoritatively debunked. Like from someone in Okinawa or Japan...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I washed my first belt and ended up with two little nubs after tying it together. Very shrinkable.

MrGalt

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with several myths here. First of all I don't believe the tradition of not washing your belt. It just appeals too much to the "inscrutable Japanese" stereotype to be true. I can see how Americans could eat it up though.

Second, I'm going to disagree with the "Japanese people are obsessed with cleanliness" thing I keep hearing. I see guys in my dojo whose gis are covered with black spots of mold (yes, really) and smell indescribable. I also know that I and several of the other students wash our uniforms and belts regularly. Japanese people are *gasp people. There are disgusting slobs here and neat-freaks and everything in between, just like in every other country. Look up "outgroup homogeneity bias" in a social psychology textbook sometime and you'll see why you don't understand that if you're one of the ones who don't.

I wash my belt every time I wash my gi, which is every time it gets worn. I don't do that to my black belt, but I've always done so with my colored belts, and it hasn't hurt them at all or faded them significantly.

Latest Discussions