MartialTalk Meetup - Date determined (April 27-28)

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I learned a ton this trip, and it was stuff that I think otherwise I would never have learned. Just the different power generation methods alone will give me things to play with for a while.

But the thing I think I learned the most is that we absolutely have to do this again.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But the thing I think I learned the most is that we absolutely have to do this again.
Yes this. I think I can do it twice a year so long as the weather is not snow and ice. I can do it once a year as well, but I want to do it again. I'm shifting some planned purchases to include a camera with longer recording time. I know Hoshin had a long trip, but I was glad he was able to make it.

I learned a ton this trip, and it was stuff that I think otherwise I would never have learned. Just the different power generation methods alone will give me things to play with for a while.
I gained new perspectives on things that I think I started to get tunnel vision on my approach. Tony is always entertaining, and I'm always surprised at how quick he catches on to my little tricks. lol. When we were pushing on the shoulders as a defense to grab the arms. I purpose angled my shoulder so that he would push on it. Instead of me trying to reach for a clinch I was going to use the force that Tony put in. He pushed my shoulder, and I had the beginnings of a clinch. My mission was a success. I thought I was able to sneak it pays him again since it happened so quickly. I kept putting my shoulder out leaving it open so he could push on it and he just ignored it. Anyone else I would have been able to get 3 or 4 more successes before they caught on, but I think Tony caught on right away lol No matter how much lief that shoulder open, he wouldn't take the bait lol.

It's things like that are enjoyable to me as well. But I like how we talked about effectiveness of things and I don't remember anyone focusing on speed and force as being part of the key elements. Of course, speed in force is important but it wasn't the central element of anything we shared.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

You know I hear Australia is nice.....

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a large enough area to host people?
Not yet. My indoor area is sufficient for maybe four people. My future outdoor area will be large enough for ten. If it is a small group, we might be able to make it work.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is Tony tall or is everyone else short?
Yes. :)

I'm about 6'4" (Okay, I've shrunk a little bit with age, but I'm still claiming my maximum measured height.) My reach gave me a bit of an unfair advantage when we were trying out Jow Ga techniques in sparring.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm about 6'4" (Okay, I've shrunk a little bit with age, but I'm still claiming my maximum measured height.) My reach gave me a bit of an unfair advantage when we were trying out Jow Ga techniques in sparring.
Damn! I'm 5'5. Wherever we meet in 2025, there better be a stool!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

First… you’re too tall

I was 6’1 and 1/4” tall. Then i was 5’10” a few years ago. And now I’m at 6’.

I might be one of the only humans that grew 2 inches in his 50s

The reality was i was 6’1 and 1/4” tall. Due to knee issues i could no longer straighten my right knee and that put me at 5’10”. After knee replacement, I could straighten my knee again… so i grew 2 inches…. but DANG IT!!! I’m old and still lost an inch and 1/4

But that loss of 3 inches confused the heck out of the nurse at my GP’s office at the time. We all shrink, but not that fast. I decided to tell her why after she was about to alert the MD of the loss in height

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who missed the training, you also missed out on the secondary benefits of driving to Kentucky.. these are avalible only in Kentucky.
20240504_172931.jpg

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those who missed the training, you also missed out on the secondary benefits of driving to Kentucky.. these are avalible only in Kentucky.
View attachment 31022
I think you might've went to the same distillery as me. Stopped by and grabbed some barrel house select for myself and as a fathers day gift for june, before I left

Latest Discussions