Are you supposed to wash your karate belt?

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Crane557 said:
Wash your belt? Not me!
You'll have somebody else do it for you then?
037.gif

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I first started karate, I was told not to wash my belts for one reason or another. I'm sure it had to do with the symbolism of sweat=work, wash out the sweat, wash out the work.

I still haven't washed my belt. My students don't wash their belts. We don't eat anything with ketchup while in our karate-gis, either. I never can wear white and eat, anyway....

Shaun

White Belt
Reaction score
Usually in the arts where you were a Gi your probably shouldn't wash your belt. Tradition is tradition for a reason. But if you absolutely must wash it ask first.

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At my dojang we don't wash our belts because it is like you are washing out all your hard work and expriences.

Also in traditional times their were no rank just white belts and the most exprenced would have the dirties unform. Hence, one of the reasons bb is the rank of the most exprienced students.

Jack

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you mean ancient times. As for karate, uniforms only came about when karate was imported to Japan. A modified Judo uniform. Also the belt system was also an invention of Judo. I do not know what type of uniforms were originally used in the ancient Korean arts. I doubt that they used the white gi(or dobok) until the Japanese occupied Korea and forced their traditions and arts on the Koreans. If memory serves me right Korean martial artist did wear white uniforms in practicing Taekkyon. But, no belt system.

jacktnicol said:
At my dojang we don't wash our belts because it is like you are washing out all your hard work and expriences.

Also in traditional times their were no rank just white belts and the most exprenced would have the dirties unform. Hence, one of the reasons bb is the rank of the most exprienced students.

Jack

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jacktnicol said:

Considering that before karate was imported to Japan, people usually practised in loinclothes (check out this picture of Chojun Miyagi and Kyoda Juhatsu practising), and as you can see, they wear no belts so how could their uniforms get dirty? I see you practise Taekwondo. Well, that's basically modified Japanese karate. The idea for a black belt in karate and all other martial arts that use it came from Jigoro Kano, founder of judo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_belt_(martial_arts)
The black belt was "invented" by Jigoro Kano, the founder of judo, who first devised the colored belt system using Obi's, and awarded the first black belts in the 1880s. He only used white and black belts, and it wasn't until the early 1900s that the colored belt system of awarding rank was created.
The "dirty belt" theory is a myth, a popular one, but a myth nonetheless. Think about it like this: our sensei told us that when he was practising with his own sensei back in Japan, if people had their uniform unironed, they'd be sent back! Think what kind of reaction a dirty uniform would generate?!

Also from the wikipedia article:
One common idea concerning the tradition of belts claims that early martial artists began their training with a white belt, which eventually became stained black from years of sweat, dirt, and blood. However, there is no real evidence for this story, so it must for now be relegated to the status of myth. In fact, given standards of cleanliness common especially in traditional dojo, a student arriving with a bloodied or dirty uniform might not be allowed to train. In some arts and schools there is the (often only half-serious, though equally often rigorous) opinion that the belt should not be washed; by doing that one would "wash away the knowledge" or "wash one's ki away." This might have something to do with the myth. More seriously, most modern belts are made with a cotton or nylon outer shell, but polyester batting and stitching to fill out the belt; the different shrinkage of cotton and polyester in hot water could cause the belt to unravel and come apart.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't imagine with the way that the Japanese are fanatical about being clean, neat and looks are all important that they would allow students to wear a dirty uniform. As far as the belt goes. Most do not wash their belt.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
Yeah, I can't imagine with the way that the Japanese are fanatical about being clean, neat and looks are all important that they would allow students to wear a dirty uniform.

Which is why the dirty belt theory really makes no sense

As far as the belt goes. Most do not wash their belt.

Could be. I wash mine every now and then

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey, i have a white belt in karate, and was wondering if its ok to wash it. :idunno:

the simple answer is :

NO!

the old saying is that you would wash the luck out of it. but no you do not at least traditionaly wash your belt.. also as far as I know the belts are not manufactued with the intent that you would ever wash it.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The old tale of white becoming black through sweat is a load of crock. The belt system came into play when Jigoro Kano introduced into judo.
I can't imagine someone turning a white belt into a decaying piece of cloth and being proud of it!

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Belts are more an anachronism as time passes. The future of the gi is short too, another 20 years Walmart sweat pants and t-shrits will be traditional gear.

Still we wear what we wear.

I don't wash belts, nor do I allow my students to do so. My first black belt was a cheap one. Sweating in it hours a day and in a dozen or so years it was falling apart, so I purchased another. Been wearing it over 20 years now and it's still black, and still unwashed.

At the time my instructors trained in Okinawa, uniforms were still a new karate tradition and they weren't given any standards. No reason to pay attention to what the Japanese did as we don't practice a Japanese art, per sae.

When all the Okinawans could afford were GI kaki's, Karate uniforms were GI kaki's. Then the dogi was a reasonable alternative.

Future choices should be made on inexpensive gear that permits the greatest range of movement, not what someone was wearing in the past.

victor smith
bushi no te isshinryu

brad1

White Belt
Reaction score
old school karate every student wore white what made you noticed as a higher rank was the color of the belt . The more you trained the dirty the the belt became therefor the term black belt NO DO NOT WASH . The dirt and sweat was like a trophy to the practioner.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Traditionaly in the arts that give Black Belt rank (BB rank is not a 1000 year old traditon itself) teach that washing the belt will wash away the good luck.
Some may feel if it is overly soiled with salty sweat stains, dust & dirt from mats, etc... that you should wash it. If your Instructor does not wish you to wash it, I say obey him/her.

Wash the belt. Please wash the belt when it gets like this. I'm not saying bleach it, but keep it reasonably sanitary. It will make your classmates happy (especially if you make contact with other classmates), as well as those you live with.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
The only rationale I can think of for not washing the belt it that it may lose its color.
The "tradition" that you wash away the skill you learnt is a interesting myth, but nothing more. It is told by some high ranking japanese practitioners, but they get strange ideas or missunderstand things, just as anyone else.

Other than that it is a part of the clothing that frequently becomes drenched in sweat, blood, and assorted dirt.
Even if the tradition was genuine and not a recent (60-70ies I would say) creation, it would be one of those traditions that really ought to be abandoned for the sake of hygiene and modern knowledge.

You should maybe not wash it as often as the rest of the Dogi (if you do, it may lose all its color), but you SHOULD wash it.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got word from a Ryuei Ryu 4th Dan who trained solely in Okinawa and mainland japan with Irei Sensei and he confirmed its a myth even said Irei Sensei went out and bought him a new belt and told him to wear it.

cbentz50

White Belt
Reaction score
By washing your belt you wash away your spirit and hard work. The concept of colored belts is an American idea. Traditionally you received one belt, and you were not to wash it. As you train the belt became darker and that is the idea of how we have our belt system. The higher rank the darker the belt. Your belt should never need washed because you should not wear it outside of your training area. You should not be able to get food on it. If you are having a problem with the smell hang it out and let the air get to it.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By washing your belt you wash away your spirit and hard work. The concept of colored belts is an American idea. Traditionally you received one belt, and you were not to wash it. As you train the belt became darker and that is the idea of how we have our belt system. The higher rank the darker the belt. Your belt should never need washed because you should not wear it outside of your training area. You should not be able to get food on it. If you are having a problem with the smell hang it out and let the air get to it.
Just a note take a look at what I post just above your post.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm afraid to venture the opinion but this is one of those areas where myth and misconception have ruled the roost it would seem.

If your belt is stained or smells then wash it. If it is worn then replace it.

There is no real mystical value placed on the belt - or at least not by any serious practitoner of any nationality that I have met - but dirty or worn kit does you no honour.

It's a nice conception that you don't replace or clean the belt you train in but it is sadly true, as with so much of Japanese nature that gets re-interpreted by the West, that it has little foundation in reality.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid to venture the opinion but this is one of those areas where myth and misconception have ruled the roost it would seem.

If your belt is stained or smells then wash it. If it is worn then replace it.

There is no real mystical value placed on the belt - or at least not by any serious practitoner of any nationality that I have met - but dirty or worn kit does you no honour.

It's a nice conception that you don't replace or clean the belt you train in but it is sadly true, as with so much of Japanese nature that gets re-interpreted by the West, that it has little foundation in reality.

This is a strange one, and clearly not Japanese in origin. How could such a belief have developed in a land where students clean dojo floors by hand to show their respect for the building! It is clearly a retro-fitted construct designed to explain why the coloured belt system gets darker. But the answer to that is easy.

Kano introduced white belts, and later black belts, to Judo. Later, in France, an incremental system was introduced whereby a progression from white to black had to be demonstrated. Thus, the belt colours get darker to show you are getting closer to black. There is no myth, there is no unhygenic practices, it is a simple representation system.

Though, looking at the nature of myth and folklore, this one seems to have firmly taken root and grown (its probably about 30-40 years old). In time it will probably be accepted by all belt-wearing arts outside, and possibly inside, Japan.

Latest Discussions