Are you supposed to wash your karate belt?

AHC9882

White Belt
Reaction score
hey, i have a white belt in karate, and was wondering if its ok to wash it. :idunno:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some schools have traditions where you are not supposed to. Find out what is protocal in your school. Personally, if it is soiled/sweaty/smelly, I say wash the thing.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Traditionaly in the arts that give Black Belt rank (BB rank is not a 1000 year old traditon itself) teach that washing the belt will wash away the good luck.
Some may feel if it is overly soiled with salty sweat stains, dust & dirt from mats, etc... that you should wash it. If your Instructor does not wish you to wash it, I say obey him/her. If it is not an issue and you want to see it clean, wash it. Washing prob. won't hurt the belt especialy a white one. Do not wash a color belt with you uniform! I note this only because years ago a family (father,son&daughter) who trained together were nicknamed the yellow belt family. I will let you guess why.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Personally, if it is soiled/sweaty/smelly, I say wash the thing.

I'm with you..If it's not against school policy WASH IT..

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
AHC9882 said:
hey, i have a white belt in karate, and was wondering if its ok to wash it. :idunno:

Eh, why not. Though I'm pretty firm about never, ever washing it unless for some reason it got katsup on it.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The old tradition is that if you wash your belt, you also wash out the strength you've developed. So, no, don't wash it...

An old, frayed belt is a mark of distinction-

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
The old tradition is that if you wash your belt, you also wash out the strength you've developed. So, no, don't wash it...

An old, frayed belt is a mark of distinction-

I feel ya. One of the stories I heard is that in ancient times people would get a white belt when they started, and by the time they were really skilled, it would be blackened with sweat, dirt, blood and whatnot, which is where the concept of black belt came from. I cannot fully confirm this is true but it sure is a cool story.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The story is probably myth - but if you ever train in Japan or Okinawa, you sure don't want your sensei to find out that you washed your belt...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As much sweat, tears and dirt as I've seen put into belts, I have YET to encounter a smelly one.

If your dojo has the tradition of not laundering your belt, follow the tradition of your master ... unless, that is, you develop ringworm around your waist - which you won't if you air out your belt. Take it OUT of your bag and drape it over the back of a chair loosely or hang it up on a hanger out where it can dry and air ... after every workout.

If your master says you can wash it, then wash it.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
As much sweat, tears and dirt as I've seen put into belts, I have YET to encounter a smelly one.

If your dojo has the tradition of not laundering your belt, follow the tradition of your master ... unless, that is, you develop ringworm around your waist - which you won't if you air out your belt. Take it OUT of your bag and drape it over the back of a chair loosely or hang it up on a hanger out where it can dry and air ... after every workout.

If your master says you can wash it, then wash it.

New meaning to ring around the collar.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
AHC9882 said:
Only real danger of washing a belt is color seepage. Dunno how a sensei would find out that you'd "betrayed" the great unwashed movement otherwise. ;) (That said, I've never had a belt that was smelly or really, visibly dirty where cleaning would be needed.)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't imagine what you'd do with your belt to make it really smelly and scummy.

Well...yes, I can. But I won't post it here...:lol:

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
I feel ya. One of the stories I heard is that in ancient times people would get a white belt when they started, and by the time they were really skilled, it would be blackened with sweat, dirt, blood and whatnot, which is where the concept of black belt came from. I cannot fully confirm this is true but it sure is a cool story.

Trust me, it is a myth! I can't right now find any good source for it, but it most certainly is a myth

And yes, you really are supposed to wash your belt every once in a while

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would rather get a new belt than wash it. It would feel like killing an old friend. Let it air after training. If you somehow manage to get ketchup or whatever on it, clean the spot gently. My old white belt is actually my favourite since it is the only one I have used in three different arts.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, maybe the current generation of karateka wash their belts but a few decades ago it was never done. I know. I was there. :)

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The idea that traditional martial art teaches you NOT to wash your belt is a MYTH. In Japanese, Korean and Chinese culture, dirty = BAD. This myth started in the 60’s and 70’s in America. Overseas they wash their belts all the time, and so should you. The belt is a piece of cloth not a magical item. The belt means nothing, you make it mean something and without it you are still a good martial artist. Kill these myths.

ron

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
The idea that traditional martial art teaches you NOT to wash your belt is a MYTH. In Japanese, Korean and Chinese culture, dirty = BAD.

Dirt, like truth, is all about perspective. :)

You don't get ketchup on your obi/belt because you NEVER eat in your uniform.

You don't get mud, dirt or grass on your obi because you're not supposed to wear your belt outside for training.

If you go to class clean and well-groomed, and all your classmates to go class clean and well-groomed and the dojo/dojang is kept clean and well-groomed, then you should not have massive transitions of dirt, grime, germs, fungi, etcetera.

Some of us forget that a custom which seems vile to us in the west could most likely have been received as incomplete.

Use common sense and follow the tradition of your dojo.

:asian:

Latest Discussions