6 exercises seniors should avoid doing

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was surprised to find out this information online. Do you think this information is correct? Your thought?
  • Deadlifts (free weight).
  • Long Runs.
  • Leg Presses.
  • Crunches (sit up)
  • Stair Climbs. ...
  • Squats (horse stand).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about this.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was surprised to find out this information online. Do you think this information is correct? Your thought?
  • Long Runs.
  • Leg Presses.
  • Crunches (sit up)
  • Stair Climbs. ...
  • Squats (horse stand).
i think everybody should avoid those

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • Long Runs.
  • Leg Presses.
  • Crunches (sit up)
  • Stair Climbs. ...
  • Squats (horse stand).
Her is what I have been told:
Deadlifts only at lower weights until a good, distributed level of body conditioning is achieved.
Long runs are bad.
Leg presses are in the same category as deadlifts. If done on a machine they are safer.
Crunches are good as long as you do Not put you hands behind your head and do crunch too far off the floor.
Stairs are very good.
Squats with your own weight or light weight and thighs Not past horizontal are good.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Deadlifts only at lower weights until a good, distributed level of body conditioning is achieved.
Long runs are bad.
Leg presses are in the same category as deadlifts. If done on a machine they are safer.
Crunches are good as long as you do Not put you hands behind your head and do crunch too far off the floor.
Stairs are very good.
Squats with your own weight or light weight and thighs Not past horizontal are good.
the problem with DL, is that you can lift far more weight doing them wrongly than in a safe manner, so every one, does them wrong

how far is a long run ? three miles good 23 miles bad

leg presses on a machine were your wedged between a fixed object and a heavy weight will allow you to move considerable weight but also take your knees out

crunches are complexly pointless, they do nothing useful at all, sit up are better except if you have your feet secured, in which case the bulk of the weight is being moved by your hip flexors, and what most people dont need are tighter hip flexors. if you cant do sit ups with your feet free then you cant do sit ups

stair lifts make you good at climbing stairs, which may come in useful i suppose

squats are like dead lifts, dont load the bar up with a silly amount ( and do them properly) and thy are ok, but who doesn't do that ?

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the problem with DL, is that you can lift far more weight doing them wrongly than in a safe manner, so every one, does them wrong

how far is a long run ? three miles good 23 miles bad

leg presses on a machine were your wedged between a fixed object and a heavy weight will allow you to move considerable weight but also take your knees out

crunches are complexly pointless, they do nothing useful at all, sit up are better except if you have your feet secured, in which case the bulk of the weight is being moved by your hip flexors, and what most people dont need are tighter hip flexors. if you cant do sit ups with your feet free then you cant do sit ups

stair lifts make you good at climbing stairs, which may come in useful i suppose

squats are like dead lifts, dont load the bar up with a silly amount ( and do them properly) and thy are ok, but who doesn't do that ?
Agree.
I thought I had put in the previous post that a shorter, faster paced run is better for muscle tine & elongation and about as good for building endurance since after a day s rest you can do another 3-5 miles.
It is all about how you set the leg machine. If you go into a deep knee bend then yes, it will be just like a squat with bad form and too much weight.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree.
I thought I had put in the previous post that a shorter, faster paced run is better for muscle tine & elongation and about as good for building endurance since after a day s rest you can do another 3-5 miles.
It is all about how you set the leg machine. If you go into a deep knee bend then yes, it will be just like a squat with bad form and too much weight.
are we talking about seniors or general ? no matter the answer is much the same

speaking as a 60 yo with fully functioning knees, theres no way im risking them on a leg push machine, if you load them up and use full range of movement theres a risk to your knees if you dont load them up and use full movement theirs no point in doing the exercise over say a a shrimp squat, if you cant do a shrimp squat the machine isnt doing you much good anyway

one of the reasons i have full functioning knees is i didnt do daft exercises when i wasn't a senior.. machines in general should be treated with much suspicion, there whole reason for being is the disproportional load one muscle and associated joints while isolating the bulk. this is of use to body builders who all, it seems have bad knees elbows, shoulders etc when they reach middle age and to no one else at all. the very best they do is turn a 10 min work out in to an hour work as you trail between one isolation machine to another

i do however like cable pull machines, you can do your whole body in 3 or 4 exercises and go home

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
  • Long Runs.
  • Leg Presses.
  • Crunches (sit up)
  • Stair Climbs. ...
  • Squats (horse stand).
I know my knees and ankles feel much better when I squat heavy. Leg press ( which I am guilty of doing) , I consider a vanity exercise as I can push over double the weight I can squat. Not sure why stair climbs should be avoided, most of us live in buildings with stairs. I am not much of a runner, so avoiding that should be easy. If the gym ever reopens, I will try to increase my deadlift.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know my knees and ankles feel much better when I squat heavy. Leg press ( which I am guilty of doing) , I consider a vanity exercise as I can push over double the weight I can squat. Not sure why stair climbs should be avoided, most of us live in buildings with stairs. I am not much of a runner, so avoiding that should be easy. If the gym ever reopens, I will try to increase my deadlift.
I was told stairs are very good exercise.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was told stairs are very good exercise.
The issue is not going up but going down. It's like the jumping kick, elder can still jump, but the landing that cause shocking on the knee joint may not be good for the elder.

I love hiking. My up hill hiking speed is still good. But my down hill hiking speed is much slower than before. I used to run and let my body to flow when I go downhill. I have stopped doing that.

During Han's old age, he didn't jump up for his tornado kick to protect his knees.

Han-tornado-kick.gif

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
one of the reasons i have full functioning knees is i didnt do daft exercises when i wasn't a senior... turn a 10 min work out in to an hour work as you trail between one isolation machine to another
Agree with you on both. It's smart to protect your body to make sure that you won't have any trouble in your old age.

I used to do 40 kicks none stop. Today, I will walk 4 steps and do 1 kick. I feel I can do 1000 kicks this way and still feel comfortable.

- kick, step, step, step, step, kick, step, ...

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I enjoy of doing more leg skill than hand skill when I get older. I feel that I need to maintain more of my "single leg balance".

When I stand on both legs, I feel I'm like a 90 years old. When I stand one one leg, I feel I'm 20 years young again.

Lin-shin-bite-sweep-solo.gif

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue is not going up but going down. It's like the jumping kick, elder can still jump, but the landing that cause shocking on the knee joint may not be good for the elder.

I love hiking. My up hill hiking speed is still good. But my down hill hiking speed is much slower than before. I used to run and let my body to flow when I go downhill. I have stopped doing that.

During Han's old age, he didn't jump up for his tornado kick to protect his knees.

Han-tornado-kick.gif
Yep, I completely understand the downhill reference. Now I get into those short choppy steps when going downhill. If it is really steep I will even turn slightly to one side or the other to unload the knees.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think a big part of it is what you've done with your life previously. For example, an older person who's ran all their life may be fine. Someone who is 60 years old and 50 pounds overweight will probably never run.

It also depends on the intensity. Someone who is starting martial arts at 60 isn't going to have the same horse stance as someone who started when they were 10 and is 60 now. They shouldn't ever intend to have the same horse stance. They should be able to describe it to someone if they are teaching, but they shouldn't be expected to have the same deep stance.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long runs are bad.
Stairs are very good.
A couple of bits to add to/adjust on this.

I've read that the repetitive motion of crunches is bad for the back over time. I've also read that stopping squats at horizontal keeps the knees at their highest stress point duing the hardest part of the squat: the reversing of direction.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a leg press without a machine? I'm having trouble figuring out what the non-machine analog is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems, then, that an exercise in controlling the step-down would be better than avoiding the stairs.

Latest Discussions