Zero Tolerance gone awry....?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What if it was a shirt that anti-Zionist and even pro-Islam? Would you want that for the other children? The three R's didn't used to include a rifle.
Sean

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1st, what about freedom of expression?
2nd, since when did expressing support for protecting rights become offensive?
3rd, a majority of schools used to (as in up through the 60s and 70s) have gun clubs, and even gun ranges on-site. As to education not including guns....check what numerous presidents had to say about that bit.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to America. The land of blowing everything out of puportion. We do nothing until things get bad. Then we overreact to things we shouldn't. Happened with bullying too.

This kid should have known what was going to happen. They suspended a young child for a "pop tart gun" that looked nothing like a gun.
But arresting him?
If this kid was really surprised... Well he should pay more attention to current events.
But in the more likely scenario that he is sacrificing much time and frustration to make a point and wake people up to the BS? Then good for him.

This whole thing is stupid. The shirt isn't dangerous. And I haven't heard any interviews by students disturbed or traumatized by the shirt, have you?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if it was a shirt that anti-Zionist and even pro-Islam? Would you want that for the other children? The three R's didn't used to include a rifle.
Sean

I don't think Kurai was in support of the schools actions. Think he thought it was madness like the rest of us.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rights unused are forfeit.

Exactly. Which is why I applaud this youngster if he understood what was going to happen and decided to make an example of the BS in our society and just how far our rights have fallen.

I remember school after Columbine. They realized then that our right to free speech made restricting shirts with images and slogans not containing profanity or nudity was just not going to happen. So we were required to wear uniforms.

This kid shouldn't be suspended, and even if he COULD be.. ARRESTED!? That is BS and a violation of his freedom of speech. He did not assault anyone. He broke no law I am aware of. Suspension for arguing with his teacher I could see. But not being cuffed and taken to jail.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly. Which is why I applaud this youngster if he understood what was going to happen and decided to make an example of the BS in our society and just how far our rights have fallen.

I remember school after Columbine. They realized then that our right to free speech made restricting shirts with images and slogans not containing profanity or nudity was just not going to happen. So we were required to wear uniforms.

This kid shouldn't be suspended, and even if he COULD be.. ARRESTED!? That is BS and a violation of his freedom of speech. He did not assault anyone. He broke no law I am aware of. Suspension for arguing with his teacher I could see. But not being cuffed and taken to jail.
Until someone goes to jail, this isn't a freedom of speech issue. :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about what he deserves. The school deserves to dictate what is and is not appropriate. They run it. ya know. :)

I agree he may be an antagonist, but think the arrest might go too far. Does that sort of thing go on someones permanent record?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's not about what he deserves. The school deserves to dictate what is and is not appropriate. They run it. ya know. :)

But the kid DID go to jail. I believe this to be completely a freedom of speech issue. Also note that I am all for a kid wearing a cross, or a shirt with scripture. Or a shirt with a Darwin fish instead of a Jesus fish. I also think wearing a shirt supporting Islam is fine. Or a shirt supporting an anti gun agenda. I fully support freedom of speech and expression.

It is only an issue if it was a shirt depicting people being shot, profanity or nudity etc.

Suspension for arguing with his teacher? Fine. But being arrested for this is NOT ok. It is overreaction, and stupidity. Agree with the results if you want, that's your right. At least until people think it shouldn't be apparently.

Edit: Also note that his choice of clothing did not violate any clear dress code rules. It was a decision on the spot, not following the rules that they had set forth themselves. If they wanted to edit the rules and notify students and parents so it didn't happen again I wouldn't be so outspoken about it.
As it has been handled now I would, if I were him, contact a lawyer. Which it appears that he has done.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But the kid DID go to jail. I believe this to be completely a freedom of speech issue. Also note that I am all for a kid wearing a cross, or a shirt with scripture. Or a shirt with a Darwin fish instead of a Jesus fish. I also think wearing a shirt supporting Islam is fine. Or a shirt supporting an anti gun agenda. I fully support freedom of speech and expression.

It is only an issue if it was a shirt depicting people being shot, profanity or nudity etc.

Suspension for arguing with his teacher? Fine. But being arrested for this is NOT ok. It is overreaction, and stupidity. Agree with the results if you want, that's your right. At least until people think it shouldn't be apparently.
If he went to jail over the argument with the teacher then, no it is not a freedom of speech issue. The cause of the argument is never the issue when you are on trial, it is always what you did as a result.
Sean

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If he went to jail over the argument with the teacher then, no it is not a freedom of speech issue. The cause of the argument is never the issue when you are on trial, it is always what you did as a result.
Sean

The charges against him are BS. And if arguing with a teacher were an arrestable offense then half of my highschool, including myself, would have a record. Voicing your protest against an infringment upon your rights, considering the lack of a clear rules violation, is using freedom of speech. If he were sent to the front office and suspended then I agree the school bent the rules but acted within their bounds as a school. He COULD appeal to the school board etc. to overturn such a decision.

Being arrested for voicing his protest, which is a use of freedom of speech by the way, is definitely a freedom of speech issue. I don't see assault charges. I see no report or interview stating he threatened or assaulted his teacher in any way.
I see no interview or report of him disrupting the school, his class, or harming and / traumatizing his classmates. The teacher decided to stop class to focus on him and his shirt. This IS a freedom of speech issue my friend. Doesn't matter which way you spin it. Unless he assaulted someone, which the charges do not reflect, then he was arrested for speaking his mind and voicing his protest.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The charges against him are BS. And if arguing with a teacher were an arrestable offense then half of my highschool, including myself, would have a record. Voicing your protest against an infringment upon your rights, considering the lack of a clear rules violation, is using freedom of speech. If he were sent to the front office and suspended then I agree the school bent the rules but acted within their bounds as a school. He COULD appeal to the school board etc. to overturn such a decision.

Being arrested for voicing his protest, which is a use of freedom of speech by the way, is definitely a freedom of speech issue. I don't see assault charges. I see no report or interview stating he threatened or assaulted his teacher in any way.
I see no interview or report of him disrupting the school, his class, or harming and / traumatizing his classmates. The teacher decided to stop class to focus on him and his shirt. This IS a freedom of speech issue my friend. Doesn't matter which way you spin it. Unless he assaulted someone, which the charges do not reflect, then he was arrested for speaking his mind and voicing his protest.
How many years do you think this kid will get? Or are we just talking about a ride in the police car? :)

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How many years do you think this kid will get? Or are we just talking about a ride in the police car? :)

If it goes on his record there are more important things than if he gets jail time. It could affect his chances of getting a job because of a record. He COULD possibly be unable to buy or possess a gun in the future due to his record. It doesn't matter if he gets time. Or community service. The point is the cuffs should never have been slapped on. He should never have been arrested.

I'm curious what the cop that had to arrest him believes. I'm also very curious what our resident LEOs have to say on this subject.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it goes on his record there are more important things than if he gets jail time. It could affect his chances of getting a job because of a record. He COULD possibly be unable to buy or possess a gun in the future due to his record. It doesn't matter if he gets time. Or community service. The point is the cuffs should never have been slapped on. He should never have been arrested.

I'm curious what the cop that had to arrest him believes. I'm also very curious what our resident LEOs have to say on this subject.
It sounds to me like he was going to have trouble in the work place already. LOL I bet you dollars to donuts the charges against him were not about the shirt. They aren't stupid. :)

Latest Discussions