Zenjael's Self-Defense Methodologies

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your loss, but I am happy you survived your encounter. You are right that they focus on the weapon... it was how I managed to get the knife away myself the first time I was mugged. But then again, that was middle school, against two other people of likewise age. Hardly as dangerous as what others have gone through.

I'm not leaving the forum unless the mods decide to ban me, but I'm not interested in being ragged on. If you guys would like to see my knife skills now, I will happily post a video down the road. Right now I do not possess a camera suitable, as we did a few months prior. And there is a difference between knife wielding, and knife self-defense.

Thank you for making this thread, it was very kind of whoever put it in this section of the forum.

I enjoy knife training. Watching a vid would be great.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your loss, but I am happy you survived your encounter. You are right that they focus on the weapon... it was how I managed to get the knife away myself the first time I was mugged. But then again, that was middle school, against two other people of likewise age. Hardly as dangerous as what others have gone through.

I'm not leaving the forum unless the mods decide to ban me, but I'm not interested in being ragged on. If you guys would like to see my knife skills now, I will happily post a video down the road. Right now I do not possess a camera suitable, as we did a few months prior. And there is a difference between knife wielding, and knife self-defense.

Thank you for making this thread, it was very kind of whoever put it in this section of the forum.

By all means, if you'd like to post another clip, go ahead. Not sure whether or not it'll receive the same comments as the other one you posted, but....

You're welcome to stay as long as you'd like. :) Just adhere to the forum rules. :)

As for being ragged on...well, that's fairly easy to change...just think before you post. I mean, 99% of the negative comments, or those comments that have said you dont know what you're talking about, are due to the posts you've made. You claim that you look for advice. As I've said, you've received a ton of great advice. Problem is, is that it seems like you're disregarding a huge portion of that advice.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not interested in being ragged on.

To be fair, there have been multiple attempts to discuss things rationally with you. I completely understand your desire to defend your position and experience here. That said, if you hope to continue in martial arts throughout your life, you will ultimately come upon someone with these kinds of ideals in real life.

There are some generally acceptable standards, some understandable exceptions and even plenty of leeway - I just HAVE to say, though, that some of what you describe as activities or practices you engage in simply do not fall within range of any of these.

What I SINCERELY HOPE you take away from these discussions is a renewed perspective on your practices, on your training. There are logical questions here, logical processes that you really should be examining your own career for. Please try to consider these things potentially helpful rather than attacks.

And if you feel attacked or harassed here on MT, there ARE rules that govern the interactions and a way to handle it - at the bottom of each post you will find a grey bar that reads "Thanks" "Blog this Post" followed by a star and a warning triangle. When you click that triangle, type in what you think is wrong with the message (needs to be against the rules) and send it. This will generate a report to the staff who have a protocol to handle the problem report.

There is a little more leeway with questioning here in The Great Debate, but direct insults are still frowned upon.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not leaving the forum unless the mods decide to ban me, but I'm not interested in being ragged on.

I dont think anyone wants You to leave, so much as look closer at things. The reason plenty of people question why Youre still here, is consistent with how many people come along claiming to be Masters of Everything, then run away when Theyre not hailed as the new icon of knowledge.

If you guys would like to see my knife skills now, I will happily post a video down the road. Right now I do not possess a camera suitable, as we did a few months prior.

I for one, would. Who knows - You may be exponentially better at demonstrating it than Striking :)
And there is a difference between knife wielding, and knife self-defense.

Thats correct.

The Great Debate is what it is for a reason - For debates to happen, instead of clogging up the normal Forum.

My advice to You, is to focus less on proving things from personal experience, whether Theyre true or not, and focus on proving things with unrelated examples, sourced information, or just a thorough explanation; And at the same time, bare in mind that You may well be wrong. I believe the first Thread You ever made, that I replied to, I said one thing, that I think still stands: Too much theory. Theory is good for You, for Yourself. But trying to use Theory to justify opinions on Martial Arts in general? Not so much. For example, claiming to be a Black Belt in one year. A better claim would be that Youve dabbled in something, and kept up practice. Thatd be fine. But when You enshrowd it with Theory, and end up propping it up to be a One Year Master, thats when people dont like what Theyre seeing. Less Theory, Less Personal Experience, More Information, More Opportunities to learn, Yourself. This is a Discussion Board, after all, and not a Proving Ground.
Im sure Im not the only person who just rags on some things for sounding unnecessary, off topic, or weird; When the cause is more than likely You overthinking the situation :)

Latest Discussions