Your schools logo or patch...

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
学校の gakukoo-no (school of)

円形の enkei-no (round)

風 kaze (wind)

There's probably a more poetic meaning, but that's what I can come up with.

I was hoping Don would come by and clarify, but I'd read it as

Gakko (school, college) no (of) Enkei (Circular [En] shape [kei]) no (of) Kaze/Fu (Wind).

Doesn't make the most sense, but I'd loosely translate it as "School of the Encirling Wind". Not bad translating, Carol.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
学校の gakukoo-no (school of)

円形の enkei-no (round)

風 kaze (wind)

There's probably a more poetic meaning, but that's what I can come up with.

You are correct, the Dojo name is Circular Wind Ryu.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping Don would come by and clarify, but I'd read it as

Gakko (school, college) no (of) Enkei (Circular [En] shape [kei]) no (of) Kaze/Fu (Wind).

Doesn't make the most sense, but I'd loosely translate it as "School of the Encirling Wind". Not bad translating, Carol.

I was busy fixing a dang virus infected computer (after my step son used it without permission), so am just now getting here.

School of Circular Wind would be correct. (Circular Wind Ryu)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Don,

I'm a little confused here.... Why does your translation include the term "Ryu" whereas the actual kanji doesn't? The term "Gakko" refers to a school, or college (in other words, the physical building), whereas Ryu is a rather more specific term meaning the flow of knowledge from one generation to another, and the two really don't mean the same thing at all. "Gakko" would be closer to "Dojo" as a synonym, "Ryu" is rather out of place in the kanji you have chosen. A dojo is not a Ryu, really.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Don,

I'm a little confused here.... Why does your translation include the term "Ryu" whereas the actual kanji doesn't? The term "Gakko" refers to a school, or college (in other words, the physical building), whereas Ryu is a rather more specific term meaning the flow of knowledge from one generation to another, and the two really don't mean the same thing at all. "Gakko" would be closer to "Dojo" as a synonym, "Ryu" is rather out of place in the kanji you have chosen. A dojo is not a Ryu, really.

Because at the time of making the patch, I couldn't find the right characters for ryu (conflicting info found). And after I had the patch made, I left it as school, for cost reasons, and the generational issues.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, Don. I'm guessing that you kept finding the various "dragon" kanji at the time.... One of my students recently started putting together examples of a new membership card for us, the first one he sent through was "just in case I got the kanji wrong".... good thing he did, the second was way off! So I can understand that, then. Although I'd refrain from translating it as "ryu", personally. Or change the badge, if you wanted it there.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
As the guilty student mentioned there, it's nigh impossible to get the right kanji without knowing how to read it properly! Oh and the amount of places I looked to find a suitable style before just getting the calligraphy off my Sensei.... Gotta love the internet!

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Don. I'm guessing that you kept finding the various "dragon" kanji at the time.... One of my students recently started putting together examples of a new membership card for us, the first one he sent through was "just in case I got the kanji wrong".... good thing he did, the second was way off! So I can understand that, then. Although I'd refrain from translating it as "ryu", personally. Or change the badge, if you wanted it there.

For some reason I never saw this post, never showed up on "view last" each time I came here!

When I directly translate it to students/etc, I say "School of the Circular Wind", I try to stay true there.

The school name is "Circular Wind Ryu", which is a bit of a slip in that the years of tradition is not there to back up the Ryu part. Although over time, I hope to correct that as I build the school and pass on the learnings I've had to others, and they pass it on to others.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
104q9n4.jpg

17wqcz.jpg

AoG

Last edited:

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
The top one is our patch from two years ago. It is totally black/white/silver.
The bottom one is the newest and probably permanent one (or at least permanent for a very long time).
The lion is actually kind of silverish.

AoG

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 15731

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I love our logo (we also have badges with it on, but I don't have any with me).

The Hangul is obviously just Taekwondo. Stevenage is where we train. The background is an um-yang symbol, but with the Union Flag as half the background. The kicking character in front is known as the STC man. It was made to look like a brush script character (some lay-people think it's an asian symbol/word), but it's someone doing a flying kick and it's also made up of the letters STC for Stevenage Taekwondo Club.

We often just use the STC man as a logo (embroidered on the end of our belts for example).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 15731

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I love our logo (we also have badges with it on, but I don't have any with me).

The Hangul is obviously just Taekwondo. Stevenage is where we train. The background is an um-yang symbol, but with the Union Flag as half the background. The kicking character in front is known as the STC man. It was made to look like a brush script character (some lay-people think it's an asian symbol/word), but it's someone doing a flying kick and it's also made up of the letters STC for Stevenage Taekwondo Club.

We often just use the STC man as a logo (embroidered on the end of our belts for example).

Thats actually pretty Neat, I think. It blends Utiliatarian, Straightforward "Stevenage Taekwondo Club" with some Korean (I assume) Characters, and a Um/Yang Background, symbolising, well, Um and Yang, in addition to a plain Blue, and the National Flag.
Followed by the more Intricate bit of freeflowing Drawing of the Flying Side Kick.

Quite Visually Pleasing to the eye, I think. I can imagine it on a Uniform.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy, that's a great looking patch. Did you design it yourself?

Thanks dancingalone.

I didn't design it (unfortunately, I'd love to have that ability), we "crowdsourced" it. We put a design competition on 99designs.com, it cost us about $200 (we had about 30 designs to choose from, then provided feedback on winning entry and the designer tweaked it until we we happy).

Latest Discussions