Your quotation?????

B

Bushigokoro9

One thing that I have notice is that most people include a quotation in their signature. I am wondering why people select particular quotations. What quotations do you use and why did you pick that particular quote? If this question has been asked before I apologize.

Best Regards,
Bushigokoro

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine come from a variety of things. Sometimes its a song lyric or quote thats hit me a certain way. Sometimes its for a lauch, sometimes to make folks think, and sometimes to hammer home a point. It changes depending on my mood.

Current one is from Pirates of the Carribean. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a great love of good quotes. I have a large collection of them. The ones I post are like what Kaith Rustaz said... depends upon my present mood.
My present one is from Bruce Lee and reflects what I feel is my current style of MA.
My avatar however speaks for itself. heh :uhyeah:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my work philosophy...my life philosophy

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine is a phrase that my sensei uses on a regular basis to try to explain the concept in aikido of entering into a technique. If you stand in one spot you absorb ukes energy and are a stationary target. If you back up you continue to be at range for kicks and punches with more momentum. So... the quickest way out of danger is in (into ukes space) and through (around or past ukes energy).

Sometimes I'll add a little something else depending on my mood.

OP
R

RCastillo

Tgace said:
my work philosophy...my life philosophy

I also follow the same. Especially since we have to deal with idiots at my job, I want to prove that I don't intend to lose, and I want them to know it. I even have the same quotation on my wall in the classroom. :samurai:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gosh!
First I'll have to post here so I can recall what my quotes are, it's been so long since I put them there.
Just a sec...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK...
"Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch."
I ran across this one a while back when I'd done a lot of work analyzing my art, it's techniques/principles and training theory... yet I began to realize that I was thinking more martial arts than I was doing. My "Enthusiasm" in martial arts lies in the 'doing' of them. I sure do love to THINK martial arts, but it'll never overcome DOING them.

"Traditionalists often study what is taught, not what there is to create." - Ed Parker, Grandmaster

OK...this one's easy. There's been a big, ongoing debate w/in the different branches of American Kenpo (the art I study and teach) over "Do we keep it the same? Or do we continue the process of evolutionary change that the grandmaster set up??" ((Mind you, this is my biased view of the issue... others of course would give you a different one)) Those who say "Keep it the same, we'll never change it." are the traditionalists. I understand where they come from... but I don't feel it's in keeping with the designs and desires of the man who created the system.. Ed Parker. Actually I have nothing against people who's approach to their art is "traditional". But you also have to keep in mind Bruce Lee's statement on what is "Traditional"...."Traditional is relative. It's all a matter of 'how far back do you want to go'." It's true. Many of the traditions, even in what we would consider a very traditional art, could be viewed as divergent in the eyes of the systems founder(s).

"Do not get into a fight if you can possibly avoid it, but never hit soft. Don't ever hit a man unless you must, but if you hit him, put him to sleep." Theodore Rosevelt
First off, I really respect the man quoted. Had some 'gumption'. ((Also: a lot of people don't know this, but he was a Black Belt in Judo...thought that that was interesting)) This is the advice I give to those few who've come to me for instruction, and the advice I will give to my own son when the time's right. Stay away from fighting and those who fight... but if you must fight, RULE the moment!

Anyway...those are my quotes as they are and why I have them there.
I change them from time to time.
Keeps people guessin....

Your Brother
John

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I don't remember the first time I heard my sig quote, but I found it amusing, as most quotes that start with that are usually very profound and serious.

There are 2 others I like, but that's only because I normally play "dark" or evil characters in RPG's...

"Wherever light shines, a shadow is born."

and

"No matter how fast or far light travels, it will always find darkness there waiting..."

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The most entertaining thing in the martial arts is when people finally to realize that MAists are just normal people not wizen omnitient masters of philosophy and will, and I think my signiture quote was a good example of this.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh...mines since changed since I originally posted. Current one is from a Manowar song. I often use their lyrics as sigs.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently, it is a quote from Mr. Ed Parker.......founder of the system I study. I like to find quotes that are funny and/or true in life.

:asian: :karate:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MACaver said:
I have a great love of good quotes. I have a large collection of them. The ones I post are like what Kaith Rustaz said... depends upon my present mood.
My present one is from Bruce Lee and reflects what I feel is my current style of MA.
My avatar however speaks for itself. heh :uhyeah:

Heh, seems my present one isn't what it was when I posted the above. My av changed too.
Presently the sig quotes are from Frank Herbert's Dune. A great Sci-fi story with some remarkable insights on the human condition. Will I change them? Probably so...within a few months.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine goes through all aspects of life, Karate heck you can apply it to just about anything. I like to refer to it often especially when I think I could do better at something.

Respectfully

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Meh... none were better than the Doozers! :D

My new sig I found amusing due to the source, and his interesting outlook on politics.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My signature (tagline) is because I like the journey by learning and doing, not just the end result.

- Ceicei

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine change depending on my moods.

Many are song lyrics, some are not.

All of them offer a glimpse into my psyche, otherwise I wouldnt post them.

Latest Discussions