A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Mine change depending on my moods.

Many are song lyrics, some are not.

All of them offer a glimpse into my psyche, otherwise I wouldnt post them.

:D :boing2: :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine comes from Flex magazine. I put 2 together but it fits perfectly for those who know me. I train hard and don't get distracted.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the same sig line as Opal Dragon. I asked her if I could also use it. When I read it, I thought how cool it was for this forum. I know I need to listen more, think more before speaking, and be slow to become angry. In other words don't let other's words or actions bother or offend me. I figured this verse could not be said enough as a reminder.

The second verse, I originally read in a Tom Clancy book but it made me think. I posted it on the bulletin board at my TKD school for everyone to see, when I was a blue belt. Theodore Roosevelt, I think was referring to war but when I read it, I saw tournaments as war. I used to feel that competing in a tournament was like getting beat up emotionally. I always did form, breaking and sometimes sparring. I expected too much of myself, trained too hard, got too nervous.

I had enough successes, though, along the way to keep me going. And in the end after a couple of dozen tournaments, I am a better person for putting myself out there. The verse was a reminder to myself and others to dare to do what they THINK may be too difficult, potentially embarrassing or whatever mountain a tournament is to them. And from the endeavor overcome weakness, FIND that "true grit" within themselves, what they are made of, grow and become stronger.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I chose mine because it reminds me not to be afraid to take chances or make changes in my life, through change comes growth.

Donna :asian:

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My signature hangs on the wall of the Kung Fu school I attend to encourage us in our journey through not only the martial arts but our lives as well.

OP
S

Scout_379

I first read this phrase when I was just beginning Karate. I guess it just made me think hmmmm....
:yinyang:​

This quote made me realize that all the qualities we envy in others are present in ourselves, we just have to find them​

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I happen to be a fan of some writers.

And I have a mouse theme going on here. (Hard to miss.)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to pick something that sounds like good advice. The Bruce Lee quotes are something everyone should bear in mind when they think about slacking off from anything. It is not enough to know you should mow the lawn...

Another one I use from time to time:

Be polite. Be proffesional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I picked my quotes because they are fairly recent in my experience, they are all somehow related to my martial arts experience and they all made me think and still do.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just tried to pick a quote concerning each art I practice. I ran out of room for a jujutsu quote, but sometimes you have to make comprimises.

The Richard Chun quote is from his book, Tae Kwon Do. I think it summarizes a lot of martial arts. Yeah, we learn how to hurt other people, but if that is all we wanted to do, we could just go to the local bar and beat a couple of drunks. We get something else from doing this, what it is depends on who you are.

The quote from Mifune is because I feel it also applies to most martial arts and the man blows my mind. He was only around 5'3'' and barely over a hundred pounds and the man could just dismantle anyone that stepped onto the mat. If he could do all that with so little, it gives me hope that I might have a shot at learning this judo stuff with my size of 6'5'' and 335 lbs. The jury is still out on that though.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
My quote's from the Simpsons. (It was on the gate of the millitary school Bart was sent to in that one episode.) It's funny because it's totally meaningless, but looks like it should mean something.

OP
M

Melissa426

I changed mine a few days ago because it's Christmas-time and I love the old Christmas cartoons, eg. Grinch, Frosty, Charlie Brown, Rudolph.
I'll change it again sometime in January, probably.

Cheers,
Melissa

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...well,

I think my little quote is open to interpretation. Some people may take it at face value,and others may take the time to ponder it,or think.."That guy is a cornball!!":lol: Which is cool,I made peace with that a long time ago.:lol:

Either way,I think it serves to remind people that training never stops,least of all when you leave the Dojo. Life is training and vica versa.It's how one learns to deal with problems on and off the mat that determines their true worth,not only a martial artist,but as a human being.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well...i went ahead and changed mine a couple days ago

self explanatory

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
People are always asking the never ending question, whats the best martial art? But there is no best for everyone, so I use this quote to hopefully speak to someone and teach them something.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My signature tends to reflect whatever my mindset was at the time. My current one reflects how I felt about Moderators at the time (hehhehheh!).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple new ones...

The top one is from a book I read...and the second one is from me and my thoughts on sparring/competition...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to collect quotes with the plan of publishing a book one day filled with my favorite ones - then someone did it, and I tossed them. I was inspired to collect them because my dad gave me a small booklet of quotations and various other sayings meant to inspire executives at the time. It occurred to me then that there have been lots of people who've spent a fair amount of time observing life and thinking about it and doing it and found a great, short way of saying something important (or provocative at least). I suppose I felt they were a kind of free verse poetry.

My current quotations were taken from the introduction in the book "SonRise - The Miracle Continues." Raun Kauffman was an autistic boy whose parents brought him to recovery. A rare and awesome story that's really about making a child's disability have meaning in your life, rather than about curing it per se. It inspired me to live my life differently. He quotes Bobby Kennedy in the book as well.

:asian: Kauffman family, Dr. Grandin et al