Your opinion is requested on the school I'm considering joining

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As stated, I plan on starting CMA training this year...

The link that follows is to the school that I'm considering...

Shaolin Martial Monks School USA

Would those of you with more knowledge of the CMA (that'd be just about everyone) be so kind as to look over the site... and the forms lists... and tell me if you believe this is legit Gung Fu... or simply contemporary Wushu...

My hope is that it is more than just a Wushu school... as I want to train in authentic Shaolin Juan Fa... and not modern competition style Wushu...

Thank you in advance for your input!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

I suggest that you really identify what you want.

My intuituin points that it is going to be mostly Wu Shu training. Ask others on why this is so. Mostly for show and health. It feels like an Art based skill.

If that's what you're looking for, then go right ahead, since it looks like a good school. The thing is that since you're physically there, you should be the judge.

The Internal arts boxing (bagua, hsing I) is a bit more Martial based.

Really get clear on what you want. Martial performance of Shaolin is mostly San Shou., or kick boxing. The other trainings are forms and feats.

Just evaluate them on your own, and if they meet your requirements, then go for it.

My needs are different from yours so evaluating them from my point of view would not serve your purpose.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are looking for self defense applications make sure that you talk to your future instructor about it and include..weapons, grabbing, grappling and multiple attackers in your conversation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Master Sun graduated from Shen Yang Sports University, majoring in Martial Arts

This say it is likely Wushu based, also he has way too many styles listed to be in-depth in all.

But with that being said my first CMA Sifu was very much the same and I did learn a lot from him. And he did give me the opportunity to get a taste of many different styles which lead me to what I now train. And I have never regretted starting my training in CMA where I did.

It may very well be worth going. If you want to learn Shaolin Juan Fa this may be a good place to start. Real Wushu training is not easy and think of it as just one step on the path.

OK I'm done, I'm sounding like a fortune cookie again.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like contemporary wushu to me. But if that's what you want, do it! But I think if you want to learn authentic Shao-lin kung-fu (or any other traditional style) you'll probably need to look elsewhere-

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looks like contemporary wushu to me. But if that's what you want, do it! But I think if you want to learn authentic Shao-lin kung-fu (or any other traditional style) you'll probably need to look elsewhere-

Agreed on both counts.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would ask how long does it take to get to the Mi Zhong stuff. Mi Zhong is also called "lost track" wu shu, and (as has been stated in a previous post) you've got to make sure that somehow, somewhere along the way this teacher teaches you how to defend yourself. That means, what the heck do all these forms do in a real fight?

Having said that, I have learned ALOT about Mi Zhong or Lost Track or whatever you want to call it from Sifu Mancuso's site and there are definitely people in China who consider this a viable, fighting martial art and are teaching it as such.

The question is, will this teacher teach it as a fighting martial art and when does he get around to doing that?

http://www.plumpub.com/info/knotebook/boxlosttrack.htm :ultracool

OP
MSTCNC

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Gang! I appreciate the feedback... but, the times they are a changin'! :ultracool

Now that my "Big D" paperwork is all finalized (got my nice certificate today in the mail)... I'm thinking of a move West... and have been looking into the Sacramento, CA area... maybe more out towards Davis/Woodland... that's North California for those in the dark geographically...

So, many other things to sort out now other than whether or not to go to school x for training y! :uhyeah:

Once I land... I'll start looking into authentic Shaolin training again... But, if i go to CA, it's going to be non-stop KENPO at first!

Again, thanks to all who posted...

You Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Latest Discussions