Your opinion is needed

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is my opinion and remember you ask, first off you are not chambering the kick properly as well as not turning the hips over when you deliver the kick. It has to much of a whipping motion that will cause you more problem in the long run. the back foot does not rotate enough and you seem to be off balance when delivering the kick. the off balance is most likely do to the fact of you trying to generate power from the entire body rather than from proper techniques. You are a mid belt so I can only imagine all this wil come to you by the time you are ready for your BB. Keep training:asian:

OP
S

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well here is my opinion and remember you ask, first off you are not chambering the kick properly as well as not turning the hips over when you deliver the kick. It has to much of a whipping motion that will cause you more problem in the long run. the back foot does not rotate enough and you seem to be off balance when delivering the kick. the off balance is most likely do to the fact of you trying to generate power from the entire body rather than from proper techniques. You are a mid belt so I can only imagine all this wil come to you by the time you are ready for your BB. Keep training:asian:

thank you for your advice

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering his weight and rank I think it was a pretty good kick. Clean, fast and powerful. Really, even with some BB;s, what more can you ask for?

OP
S

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Considering his weight and rank I think it was a pretty good kick. Clean, fast and powerful. Really, even with some BB;s, what more can you ask for?
Thank you sir I appreciate your comment

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you've posted in the MMA bit as well can I ask what you are kicking for? As in TKD sparring or MMA?

PS wish I had someone like that to practice!

OP
S

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As you've posted in the MMA bit as well can I ask what you are kicking for? As in TKD sparring or MMA?

PS wish I had someone like that to practice!

MMA not tae kwon do sparring

championmarius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It may have alot to do with the balance thing, but your right hand is all over the place. It seems to be a counterweight?
Otherwise, like Terry said, chamber chamber chamber. A Quick dirty kick is alright to have every once in a while, just don't let it become the dominant weapon. But only a good chamber, hip rotation, foot positioning and posture can give true power to a kick.

But I do have to say, for a ranging kick, or stop hit, that thing is fast.

Just my few pence, from a Kenpo background. YMMV.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From what I can see. It seems that you are just whipping your leg around. There is no true balance and you could easily be knocked over. on the plus side, you have good power behind you kicks. I would recommend that you slow down and work on proper technique. As Terry pointed out you need to chamber your kick, when you do this, you will see a lot more power in your kick. just my .02

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone I would like your opinion on my roundhouse kicks I am a purple belt in tae kwon do and would like the opinions of my fellow martial artists on my kicks. The free standing bag that I am kicking weighs 250 lbs and I weigh 150 lbs so there is a 100 lb difference just let me know what you think.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbwo-tEYcw&feature=channel_page

Sir,
Your kicks are not bad, but do need a number of technical refinements. I'm not versed on TKD so don't know much on the ranking are how long you have been training your kick. Not wanting to be overly hard on assessment but...! The kick you are displaying appears to be more of a Muay Thai basic kick used by most MMA contestents and I find most do the kick poorly. More piviot on the support leg, more rotation of the kicking leg hip as the hip is thrust "forward". The kicking leg should move in more of a straight line rather than the circular one you are doing. The shoulder of the side of the kicking leg should rotate with the hip as well covering the centerline and chin. Arm of the kicking side should be pulled downward to just behind the hip rather than being thrown outward in the opposite direction the kick is going. The arm and shoulder have mass and weight. Moving that mass away from the direction of the kick reduces the force of the kick. Relax the body and quite trying to force the kick. The more you relax and simple piviot and thrust the hip the greater the force you will kick with. Quite simply, to be a good kicker perform 500 to 1000 kicks a day. As your body tires the only thing that will allow a good powerful kick will be good kick technique. There are several other technical aspects to consider but the above list is enough to work on for a while.

Danny

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sir,
Your kicks are not bad, but do need a number of technical refinements. I'm not versed on TKD so don't know much on the ranking are how long you have been training your kick. Not wanting to be overly hard on assessment but...! The kick you are displaying appears to be more of a Muay Thai basic kick used by most MMA contestents and I find most do the kick poorly. More piviot on the support leg, more rotation of the kicking leg hip as the hip is thrust "forward". The kicking leg should move in more of a straight line rather than the circular one you are doing. The shoulder of the side of the kicking leg should rotate with the hip as well covering the centerline and chin. Arm of the kicking side should be pulled downward to just behind the hip rather than being thrown outward in the opposite direction the kick is going. The arm and shoulder have mass and weight. Moving that mass away from the direction of the kick reduces the force of the kick. Relax the body and quite trying to force the kick. The more you relax and simple piviot and thrust the hip the greater the force you will kick with. Quite simply, to be a good kicker perform 500 to 1000 kicks a day. As your body tires the only thing that will allow a good powerful kick will be good kick technique. There are several other technical aspects to consider but the above list is enough to work on for a while.

Danny

Who's 'most' of the fighters who do these MT kicks poorly? Most of our fighters are MT trained by Thai instructors, most actually in Thailand which is an easy place for us to go and train there.

Tetsujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Overall, the kicks look really fast and fairly powerful. But I agree with what others have said regarding the need for a better chamber and a little more hip rotation. It should help you generate even more power, and done properly should still be just as fast.

I think you could also improve the retraction after the kick. Make it faster and try to retract through the roundhouse chamber position rather than just dropping the foot straight back to the ground. Doing so will make it harder for your opponent to grab or trap your kicking leg.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's 'most' of the fighters who do these MT kicks poorly? Most of our fighters are MT trained by Thai instructors, most actually in Thailand which is an easy place for us to go and train there.

Tez3,
Glad to know most of your fighters are trained by Thai instructors. I certainly did not direct my comments about "your" fighters in particular. In almost 20 year of training Muay Thai and almost 15 years of being a part of the mma fight scene I have attend over 300 fight programs with 8-10 fights per program. I have attend many fight camps and training facilities. From small local venues to top rank programs I have witness beginner's to the highest level contenders in the mma game. And with that background I stand behind my comment that most do the MT kick poorly.

Danny

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good grief guys, he's a freaking purple belt, cut the guy some slack. I bet y'all would nit pick the 2nd coming wouldn't ya? At least he is trying.

OP
S

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for you comments ,feed back ,and advice and don't worry about being to harsh with the critiquing i'm used to being told I am always doing something wrong by my instructors I know i'm not good at martial arts but I will try to apply the advice you have given me

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shadow,

One more thing. You seem to drop your arm just before firing the kick. That's a 'tell'. It can be used against you.

Deaf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropping your hands like that can also get you creamed by a skilled fighter who'll step in on you at that moment...

I haven't got a clue where purple belt fits in your schools curriculum. But I think that you're mistaking moving a bag for generating real penetrating, driving power. Slow down, concentrate on the form that supports the kick -- chamber, kick, recover. Be in control of where your foot goes on the recovery, rather than simply letting it rebound and fall.

Lots of guts to invite criticism in a format like this -- I'll give you that.

OP
S

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dropping your hands like that can also get you creamed by a skilled fighter who'll step in on you at that moment...

I haven't got a clue where purple belt fits in your schools curriculum. But I think that you're mistaking moving a bag for generating real penetrating, driving power. Slow down, concentrate on the form that supports the kick -- chamber, kick, recover. Be in control of where your foot goes on the recovery, rather than simply letting it rebound and fall.

Lots of guts to invite criticism in a format like this -- I'll give you that.

thank you sir I appreciate your advice

Latest Discussions