• Papa/Mama figure to all

• Curmudgeon- the "grumpy old man", even if he's (she's) not so old

• Coach--helpful and practical

• It's impossible to stereotype my instructor like this

Results are only viewable after voting.

AlanE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's been a long time, but still unforgettable. He was a calm, peaceful coach. Never pushy. I had a slightly stiff right ankle that wouldn't bend fully for two months (revealed during forms). How I played sports around that for years beats me. He never pushed. I got it.

We stuck around after class on Osan AB, S. Korea to practice because we were happy and loved it. And we always prevailed over the militaristic sister Tang Soo Do school off base in tourneys. My theory was our extra practice, all because of a having a good teacher.

I almost feel bad in comparison, because it is not my nature to be calm all the time while teaching. We have to be ourselves, of course. We all have at least one hit song in us (capable and awesome in our own way).

Cool I can be. Persistently calm? No chance.

Enthusiastic, serious, thoughtful, still, illuminating, pleasant, laughing, encouraging, respectful, learner - there's the mix when I teach. My teacher, however, was the best because he was the first (while being good)!

I guess the good instructor test is: If in Korea where there was nothing else to do most evenings, would your soldier students stick around and share sparring tips or run off immediately after class? (provided you allowed it)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me-the instructor. I ask my students to show up for an hour to a half hour before class to stretch and warm up. During that time I am equal to everyone in every way. We laugh, joke and just talk about whatever,get things off our minds before training. When class starts,my students give me plenty of respect and don't talk unless they have a question. I don't "drill sergeant " anyone. I instruct,they work as hard as they think they need to. I do my best to motivate them. If someone isn't giving it all they can,we talk about why they are there and sometimes when they spar, I make them spar up a little more than they are up to. That usually fixes things. I don't baby sit anybody. When class is over and all questions are answered,we are all friends again and the beer cooler comes out.
Yeah, but what about your teacher? You were taught at some point. LOL
Sean

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
I went for coach, although my instructor is a bit of a mix of coach and entertainer. He often relates techniques to some odd yet more familiar movements, and is quite often making jokes about what techniques will do to people's bodies if done properly. Especially if you see him with a coffee before training....

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Combination of papa/mama to all and practical coach.

He served 12 years in military as some higher rank so if class becomes messy he changes to drill sergeant in a second and it lasts for two weeks.

Latest Discussions