Your instructor's instructor

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In judo and aikido my adult instructor was, before he retired from teaching, Ray Williams, whose instructor was none other than Karl Geis himself. I never even met Karl, but apparently he was something else.

Karl Geis - Wikipedia

The aikido rank in that is actually inaccurate, as Karl "stepped out" of the Japanese rank structure when he began Fugakukai, in which he was ranked up by the students as they needed to grow themselves until they gave him the (imo honorific) 12th Dan with the title Hanshi.
Master Geis was a martial arts icon here in Houston. My dentist trained with him. I never got to meet the man and I wish I had.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems it was extended to any style, so I can reply now. :) I trained with both (self defence), so I know both. Before them... I only heard about a few names.

In Muay Thai, the main instructor learned in Thailand when it was still not known or available in the U.K. And I know nothing about his instructors/camps.

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My instructor's instructor was GM Lee, Tae Sung from Chung Do Kwon.

I lived with GM Lee in Korea for a while and he lived with me in the States for a while as well. I met him too many times to count. Such a super guy. I agree that some schools can almost deify their Kwan Jang Nim's and that is not good. They, like everyone, are human.

I had nothing but immense respect for GM Lee (he passed away a few years ago from cancer) but we would also laugh and drink and tell jokes and kid each other.

I do believe that it is important to know your lineage but not to worship it.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructors instructor is our KJN. His instructor was GM KEE Hwang. After the first split of the Kwan, he trained under the new KJN GM LEE, Kang-Ik.
We see our KJN on a semi-regular basis.

Just to correct a mistake in case others repeat it later as fact - It's GM HWANG Kee not KEE Hwang. In Korean the surname comes first and the Modern History of Taekwondo book (1999 edition that's on my desk) has it written as 황기 관장.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to correct a mistake in case others repeat it later as fact - It's GM HWANG Kee not KEE Hwang. In Korean the surname comes first and the Modern History of Taekwondo book (1999 edition that's on my desk) has it written as 황기 관장.

You are correct and I honestly have no good reason for reversing it. I've written GM HWANG, Kee hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the years. I properly placed the surname first when referring to his successor.
My only excuse is that I had extensive throat surgery on the 18th for cancer, and between that, medications for that, the chemo, and the radiation, I'm not at the top of my game right now. It's one reason I'm not posting much. Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa. I shall endeavor to be more careful.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are correct and I honestly have no good reason for reversing it. I've written GM HWANG, Kee hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the years. I properly placed the surname first when referring to his successor.
My only excuse is that I had extensive throat surgery on the 18th for cancer, and between that, medications for that, the chemo, and the radiation, I'm not at the top of my game right now. It's one reason I'm not posting much. Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa. I shall endeavor to be more careful.

Praying for a full and quick recovery, DD!!!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

No worries, as I said, I knew you know it but juniors may read it and quote it as fact later.

Hope you recover well and quickly mate!

Reaction score
Working directly under my instructor, I hear a lot about his instructor actually, and I really enjoy it! My instructor tells me stories of when him and his instructor first opened a dojang, and would spend hours working, training, and then take a couple of hours to nap in the studio until classes started. For him, his days started at around 7am for staff meetings and training, then move to lunch, cleaning the studio, and then their nap before class. Finally, they would be teaching from 3 or 4pm until 9pm with their last class. It was really cool to hear about all of the different stories and times he spent with his instructor, as I am getting to make my own stories with my instructors (they are both brothers, and I often communicate with both of them regularly, and have a pretty good relationship with them while still maintaining that student-instructor relation).

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For Taekwondo students, how much do you know about your instructor's instructor? Do your instructor mention that person (what they were like, or even their name)? Have you met that person?

I realize that not every instructor is an open person, or may want to say much about their instructor for various reasons. I've had some who never say a word about the person who taught them, and others who say things like, "Master 'X' loved this technique and we did it often."

What's your experience been?
I just realized that I posted a joke in this thread and never answered the OP.

Yes, I have met my instructor's instructor and know him quite well. I've trained with him and I know why my instructor is as good as he is. :D

Their original instructor has retired, but I got to meet him once. My instructor's instructor now has the Grandmaster as his direct instructor, and I train with the GM every chance I get.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My only excuse is that I had extensive throat surgery on the 18th for cancer, and between that, medications for that, the chemo, and the radiation, I'm not at the top of my game right now. It's one reason I'm not posting muchl.
Wishing you quick recovery and prayers for a return to full strength sir.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
My master's master, and founder of our organization is currently 64 years old and honestly in better condition than all of the students under him. he stepped away from the association for quite some time to open a kickboxing gym, and now that its super successful, he has been attending more and more of our seminars and we get more face to face training time with him. It's kinda crazy how much knowledge and technique this guy has. he was an MP for the airforce, a police officer, and trained with GMs Park(Chung Do), Kim (Moo Do), Lumpkin (Shines Hapkido), and all the Sells from the USCDKA.
its amazing to train under this guy.

Latest Discussions