youn wha ryu

Chib

White Belt
Reaction score
First, I'm sorry for necromancing this thread, especially as my first post on this site, but this is how I found the place and I really felt like I needed to say something.

I have spent years trying to find a school that's comparable to the first one I attended, and I always leave disappointed. I joined Frisco Karate Academy, studying Youn Wha Ryu under two black belts whose last names I don't even remember now. They had studied under Master Juan Galvan, who was a student of Master Han, IIRC. There's really nothing that could have made this setup SOUND more like a McDojo, but it wasn't.

There was your typical TKD class for kids, from white up to green belt, and I started in that. But the class for intermediate belts and adults was exacting and strict with emphasis on internalizing every movement. We were competitive in open tournaments -- I made it to national level competition as a red belt and took home second place (and a torn ACL).

Master Juan's son Adrian Galvan, whom I assume was trained in Youn Wha Ryu as well, is currently the USKA kumite champion, according to the website.

I guess my point is that the art itself doesn't have to be deficient just because the guy who developed it is now more interested in business than in "truth and justice". In most any form of martial arts, it seems that the teacher is more important than the lesson. I'd give up anything to start up again in a school with the same intensity as Frisco Karate Academy. It was a sad day when they closed their doors.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Chib.

Personally, from reading this thread and corresponding with some of the YWR practitioners, as well as checking out the links and vids that they posted, Youn Wha Ryu looks pretty much identical to Kukkiwon taekwondo, with perhaps some added forms and a smattering of techniques from other arts.

If the guy feels that he's altered the curriculum enough to warrant calling it something other than taekwondo, then that is his choice. Since none of the techniques look to be anything revolutionary or new, it still comes down to the instructor, the dedication of the student, and how the training is handled. I don't see the art itself as being all that important.

Glad your experience was a good one.

Daniel

YOUNWHATEXAS

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Painstain,

The bio you listed looks the same as on the website. Yoon Byung-in was long gone from S. Korea before Mr. Han began training.

If you really want to know about his background, contact Kum Hong Lee at the WTF or you can e-mail Grandmaster Kim Soo in Houston. http://www.kimsookarate.com Grandmaster Kim Soo is Kum Hong Lee's senior in Korea and knew Mr. Han in Korea.

Otherwise, you may never get an answer about his background from this forum. This is the reason why some martial artists from Korea put false history about themselves out there. No one in America really knows or can check their background. But, I've given you a lead if you really want to know.

R. McLain

MR. Mclain,

I've read your previous discuss with a student of GMH. The bio you put forth is correct as is the previous poster. The difference is not in truth or embellishment but rather the use of names and time frame. Grand Master Han did indeed learn from Master Byung-in. Master Byung-in did not disappear from South Korean until 1950. Grand Master Han took instruction from him in 1948 along with various other Masters. In the 1940's Korea was a mess, then war found Korea again in the 1950's. GMH Youn Wha Instructor was a Master named Sae Chong Wang but that you seem to know. I guess what I would ask you is how do you know Grand Master Han? I know him and like most 76 year olds he is entertaining and form wha can tell honest. I'm sure if someone checked Master Soo bio you might find some facts that seem odd but that does not mean deception or embellishment. The art is called Youn Wha because GMH felt he wanted to distinguish it from his TDK background. He still uses his TDK as the basis and intact uses the Federation on his certificates. Honestly, I've been around 33 years in the martial arts community and witnessed enough to know fact from fiction. GMH like his peers, honors Martial Arts with their dedication to it. I would be equally honored to take instruction from any Master of his Rank and ability.

Master Guy Mckee

R. McLain
MR. Mclain,

I've read your previous discuss with a student of GMH. The bio you put forth is correct as is the previous poster. The difference is not in truth or embellishment but rather the use of names and time frame. Grand Master Han did indeed learn from Master Byung-in. Master Byung-in did not disappear from South Korean until 1950. Grand Master Han took instruction from him in 1948 along with various other Masters. In the 1940's Korea was a mess, then war found Korea again in the 1950's. GMH Youn Wha Instructor was a Master named Sae Chong Wang but that you seem to know. I guess what I would ask you is how do you know Grand Master Han? I know him and like most 76 year olds he is entertaining and form wha can tell honest. I'm sure if someone checked Master Soo bio you might find some facts that seem odd but that does not mean deception or embellishment. The art is called Youn Wha because GMH felt he wanted to distinguish it from his TDK background. He still uses his TDK as the basis and intact uses the Federation on his certificates. Honestly, I've been around 33 years in the martial arts community and witnessed enough to know fact from fiction. GMH like his peers, honors Martial Arts with their dedication to it. I would be equally honored to take instruction from any Master of his Rank and ability.

Master Guy Mckee

R. McLain[/QUOTE]

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am a part of Grand Master Man Hee Hans world youn wha ryu association. its foundation is tkd but very extensively mixed with wing chun, chinese boxing, judo, and a few others. our main websight for my divission is younwha.com. i was wondering if any of you have heard of this system before and if so, what do you think about it. but i don't want you to get me wrong, i am very confident i am in a great system, i was just wondering what others thought about it.

I heard the name before, but haven't really seen it. If you are happy with your training, then that is the main thing. I wouldn't care about what others think about your style, if I were you.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While I have nothing more to say on this topic, and nothing at all to say about Master McKee's post (I have no knowledge that would contribute in that area), I did go back and re-read my previous posts.

While I stand by what I said to the Amp-Ryu guy who's name kept changing, I will use this as an opportunity to say that my comments regarding the Kukkiwon history were out of line. Lived, learned, and grew up a bit.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Makes a big difference when you are communicating with people who are not just trying to find new and exciting ways to be negative about the Kukkiwon and the WTF. Correspondence with Master Cole and yourself has been highly beneficial to me, and I appreciate you both. Posts of both of you have been far more helpful to me than you will likely ever know.

My thanks!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Makes a big difference when you are communicating with people who are not just trying to find new and exciting ways to be negative about the Kukkiwon and the WTF.

It's like crabs in a bucket. If one crab is getting out, then the other crabs grab him by the legs and pull him down back into the bucket. To me, the better way is to figure out a way so that everyone can get out of the bucket. And that is what taekwondo is really about, cooperation at the highest levels so that everyone excels, which filters down as a philosophy to the instructors and schools. When I hear people who constantly complain about this or that in kukki taekwondo, it tells me in a very real way, that they simply do not understand what taekwondo is about - which involves inclusive thinking, cooperation, and helping ourselves by helping others.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I made a decision this year to try to reduce the amount of negativity that comes out in either what I say or what I type. I had always thought of myself as a very positive person, but after some serious self evaluation last year, I found that I still contributed a lot of negativity to the world in terms of what I said, both verbally and in typed format.

I also found that I had a negative thought pattern that of course, steered me to negative conclusions. Not surprisingly, I had a lot of negative people around me. I disassociated myself from or reduced association with those people, and what a difference it has made!

Still a lot of work to do, but it's getting done.

Latest Discussions