jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forensics For Dummies

Customer: “That’s not true! I’ve seen ‘em do it on CSI!”

I despise and loathe that phrase.

I'm sorry, but I lack a script writer and editor (or they're drunken practical jokers...) who can make a test that takes weeks -- if it works -- to get results be not only done, but give a perfect result, in minutes...

I can't stare at a fingerprint in the field and identify the owner. Not even with a jeweler's loupe.

And we don't have computers that can pull usable, identifiable images from no data...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had GIMP on my old computer, didn't like it, couldn't figure it out, tried to remove it and couldn't. I don't want to download it on my new computer. Anyone else really like it?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't stand GIMP myself. It's free, it's powerful, and it's just not Photoshop. lol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a lot of ways, it seems like GIMP is almost too powerful... If you aren't a graphic designer, half of what it can do is in the "gee whiz" frame. But you can find scripts to run to do a lot of things easily, too.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I despise and loathe that phrase.

I'm sorry, but I lack a script writer and editor (or they're drunken practical jokers...) who can make a test that takes weeks -- if it works -- to get results be not only done, but give a perfect result, in minutes...

I can't stare at a fingerprint in the field and identify the owner. Not even with a jeweler's loupe.

And we don't have computers that can pull usable, identifiable images from no data...

It is the same concept as a magician though, 5% of the people in the audience figure out the trick and 95% are amazed. With CSI, 5% of the people watching know that it is bullcrap and 95% think it is the coolest thing in the world and that's really all that the writers care about.

They did that with a Chem detector a few years ago. The First Defender....they used it all wrong....

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to work at a big chain store that develops photos. People got plenty pissed about the copyright issue. Why some people are even allowed to have camera's is beyond me also, it was one of the most aggravating things arguing with those customers when our rules and copyright rules were post all around the photo lab.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm so not opening a photo lab, lol.

“Professional” Photography

Photo Lab | Washington, USA
(Customer has been browsing their pictures for a few minutes and IÂ’ve been working on other orders.)
Customer: “Hey!”
(The customer taps envelope on the counter obnoxiously to get my attention.)
Me: “Yes sir?”
Customer: “You ruined my pictures!” *throws pictures on the
counter*
Me: “Sir, they look fine to me.”
Customer: “You put your fingers in my pictures!”
Me: “That’s impossible sir, there’s no way my fingers could be in your pictures.”
Customer: “They stuck them in the way when you were printing them.”
Me: “No sir, the way our machine works that just can’t happen. The only way there could be fingers in the pictures is if whoever was taking the picture accidentally let their fingers get in the shot.”
Customer: “Well, I’m a professional and I took all these pictures so I know it wasn’t me. It has to be your fingers!”
Me: “Sir, was I there when you took your pictures?”
Customer: *looks annoyed and confused* “No…”
Me: “They’re not my fingers then.”
(This continued for another 15 minutes, with the customer complaining about our machine being out of focus and a mystery line that very obviously resembled a camera strap.)

"Then it couldn't have been me, sir. I never insert fingers into the pictures."
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions