Do you have a personal Sil Lum Tao?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Creativity, we were encouraged to use combat principles from other systems or elsewhere and see what could be integrated into the canon.

Seems to be a lot of that in WC.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually a little of both plus more. Creativity, we were encouraged to use combat principles from other systems or elsewhere and see what could be integrated into the canon.

All good if you are open about it. Problem comes when that kind of thing gets lost in the mists of time

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all,

I learned in my training to treat the Sil Lum Tao as a dictionary of sorts. To use it essentially ensure I "never forget" while also providing a "wet stone" to sharpen hand positions and moving energy through my centerline.

That said, in addition to the Sil Lum Tao that I learned, and still practice separately, I indulge in the guilty pleasure of experimenting with it (adding symmetry in areas where I thought it useful, incorporating multiple interpretations of hand positions, etc.).

Do any other practitioners indulge in the same way? Do you have a personalized or customized Sil Lum Tao, Chum Kiu, Bil Gee, or Chi Sao set that you include in your practice?

Hope this is a fun question and look forward to hearing responses (even responses like "No. No, I do not do that. That you even asked... that you even asked, to me, is so deeply offensive... so very deeply offensive... you, sir, are a flat-footed ninny-booby)!

~ Alan

I was learning in the Ip Ching lineage for a long time. Now I have switched to Leung Sheung. So far, the Sifu there has shown me only how they do Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu. However, I also know Biu Jee and Mook Jong from the other lineage. However, I understand enough about the new lineage where I can make an accurate guess as to how they would do the other two forms.

There are some things I prefer from the Ip Ching lineage still. For example in Chum Kiu at the end of the lan sao-side kick-step with bong sao and wu sao section, the Leung Sheung lineage does something that the Sifu calls a "fold." (It's hard to explain; if I were home and had a camera, I would upload a video.) However, I prefer to turn and punch like in the Ip Ching lineage.

The best thing about it is that my Leung Sheung lineage Sifu has next to no ego when it comes to things like that. He isn't going to kick me out of his class simply because I am not doing it "his" way.

Reactions: KPM

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I filled that previous post with a lot of "however's." LOL Need to edit first next time.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
To answer the question "Do I have a personal SLT/SNT?"

We have a distinction in our family between SLT and SNT - the difference between training a Sanda approach and a system approach. We have a concept called sup ming dim - 10 bright points. These have to do with your own internal inherent structure. They are why our SNT form shows specific components of height, width, depth, for example. They are also reflected in our fundamentals called the Wing Chun Formula.

Sup ming dim also carries a component of Buddhist philosophy, in that the true way you establish your own structure is through a sense of exploring its end points.

So with that framework of concept established, my answer to that question is "yes, I have a personalized SNT". It is personalized to the extent I explore sup ming dim and learn to maintain that structure under live pressure.

Latest Discussions