YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! KKW 17th F.I.C.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Day 3 : tired and sore from almost 12 hours poomsae training wit GM Hwang, In Sik.
Started at 8 with competition rules. I apologise I don't know the name od the GM who spoke. Good class with a lot of interaction. Dr. Kilian (think is his name), an s class IR, and master Gonzales assisted with good q&a. Good demo of kyungo's and gam jeom's.
Next up was kyroogi theory and tecniques with Master Jimmy Kim. Covered all techniques and then he shared training tech's he uses for his athletes. He covered polymetrics and agility drills as well as how to deal with athletes mental state. HE WAS AWESOME!!! His attitude and demeanor made everyone at ease. No wonder he is such a great coach.
Lunch actually did not suck. Enchiladas, beans, rice and other mexican specialties. Still overpriced but decent.
Testing started at 130. No answers give to us. Entire section on tkd counseling(except for one question)was gone. Nothing about first aid either. The rest was same as before if I remember correctly. Think I aced it:).
The poomsae part consisted of #7 and taebaek. Those who messed up, about 20-25, were pointed out amond the judges. I saw some of the worst side kicks. Ugh...
They told us if mistakes were made or if we did not finish in same spot we would fail. After all were done we were told some did well, some mediocre and some that will need to repeat at next course.
As for me, I took the written course but was not called up for poomsae as I already have 3rd class and am not eligible for 2nd class for another year (after I get 6th Dan). I wanted to fo up but my name was not on list. One judge came up to me after and commended me for showing up just for the exp..
Overall the course was good. A few bumps here and there but well worth it for me. Until next time.....
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Day 3 : tired and sore from almost 12 hours poomsae training wit GM Hwang, In Sik.
Overall the course was good. A few bumps here and there but well worth it for me. Until next time.....
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for taking time to share your experience with us.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I read the book they gave us in Chicago. It was unreadable. It made no sense most of the time. Others who went to Korea for the Course said the books they had there were great. I wish I could have gotten a valuable tool that I could reference later in Chicago.

I have found the WTF's latest official text "The Book of Learning and Teaching Taekwondo http://www.amazon.com/Book-Teaching-Learning-Taekwondo-Publication/dp/8960690511 to be a much, much better publication than that thing we got in Chicago. You might get it from Mykick.com(Vision) for club price.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There was one ugly thing that happened at the seminar. One of the GM's wives got the award for "outstanding participant". Normally I never say anything.....but....
She could not throw a proper side/front/round kick. Her wrists bent on everything. She Cursed at least twice out loud (master Jimmy Kim's eyes popped open and he covered his mouth). She was not at all of the classes. The only reason she was awarded the cert was that her husband was part of the organizing committee. There were many who deserved it. She was not one of them.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
She Cursed at least twice out loud (master Jimmy Kim's eyes popped open and he covered his mouth).

This has nothing to do with the behavior of the lady in question but rather with that of Master Kim (who I still remember watching on TV in 1988!). I'm pleasantly surprised by his reaction. I find it kind of heartening, actually.

Pax,

Chris

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the behavior of the lady in question but rather with that of Master Kim (who I still remember watching on TV in 1988!). I'm pleasantly surprised by his reaction. I find it kind of heartening, actually.

Pax,

Chris

He is a great teacher. When she said the s word he used a piece of paper to cover his mouth and opened his eyes really wide. She then proceeded to say "what? That is how we talk to our kids at home." Don't remember what she said next but there was an f bomb and everyone gave her the look and most put their hands in front of their mouths. A few people quietly said "geom jeom". Master kim carried on quickly to avoid any other outbursts. He was classy. She should have been reprimanded but te kkw officials were not in the room.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny, kindof reminds me how it is in the Military...

A Colonel (0-6) wife thinks she is a Colonel and forgets it is her HUSBAND.... so they think they can say and do what they want and talk to whomever , however they want....

and Thats NOT AWESOME.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well now....
I was just asked to be on staff for the upcoming usat big 3, touring with the officials and assisting with classes. Dunno what to make of it. Was told that my name was brought up for a good asst to the kkw durring kibon/poomsae training. I won't get paid much but will have everything comped and will get to spend 2 weeks training every day with the gm's fromm the kukkiwon tkd academy. They are the best.
What to do?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
will get to spend 2 weeks training every day with the gm's fromm the kukkiwon tkd academy. They are the best. What to do?

It's tricky (being associated with it if they have a mess like last time), but I'd say go for it. You may get to help change it from within and you get 2 weeks training with the KKW Academy folks for free :)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well now....
I was just asked to be on staff for the upcoming usat big 3, touring with the officials and assisting with classes. Dunno what to make of it. Was told that my name was brought up for a good asst to the kkw durring kibon/poomsae training. I won't get paid much but will have everything comped and will get to spend 2 weeks training every day with the gm's fromm the kukkiwon tkd academy. They are the best.
What to do?

I would take the opportunity, as long as the benefits out weigh the problems. Who cares if it is USAT. You have a chance to work with KKW TKD Academy AND help train good people. We can not always spite the citizens for the act of their government.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well now....
What to do?

As long as you don't talk about hot chocolate or your Bentley, you'll be fine. Seriously though, it sounds like an opportunity for good things.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as you don't talk about hot chocolate or your Bentley, you'll be fine. Seriously though, it sounds like an opportunity for good things.

Don't have a bently....rotfllol! I think I will go for it:)

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't know much about your laws but as I'm reading this in England, English law would stand, no 12 is actually libellous and if TF wanted to bring a case here against you he'd win. :boing2:

How would he win? In a court of law you'd have to measure Twinnie's percentage of bodyfat. Then you'd have to enclose him in a dense paperbag, and have him kick his way out of it. This is not libellous, it is ridicullous! If you can bring a lawsuit against someone for a statement like this in the UK, then it's a sorry state of affairs!

Latest Discussions