Yin yang tattoo including all 4 elements

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my passions is art and I work in a tattoo studio, not tattooing, just doing designs, and I was thinking about when I'm old enough ton get tattoos of my own and I decided I'd like a fire and water yin yang. I'd have a realy detailed, realistic dragon breathing the fire side(but I'm not sure about the water side and I'd have wind around it blowing leaves and bits of earth around so that it included all four elements. What do you think? I think the dragon would be black and white (if I could stand the pain hha!).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the idea! Would love to see what you come up with when you are ready to sketch something out. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or maybe the five elements; water, earth, wood, metal and fire? :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A Yin Yang symbol (aka Taiji 太極) is Chinese and there are 5 Chinese elements; Metal, Water, Wood, Fire, Earth
There are multiple representations of this in Chinese MA.

:yinyang:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pains not bad at all. I put off getting a tattoo for years I finally did it and it was nothing. Ive got most of my upper arm including the inner arm. Up in the arm pit area was a little tender and the inside bend of your elbow little painful but not to bad. You should post up some of your drawings. Im looking to get the lower part of the sleeve done soon. Ive got famous warriors theme going so far. Ive got a Spartan on my inner arm, a knight in full armor on my Tricep, and St Michael on the outter arm so far. I want to add a viking, a Samurai, and a US Marine in dress blues on the lower arm.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cool I have a Pentagram tattooed on my left hand with a black
Pearl in the center. It has multiple meaning from 6 elements
to the five elements depending on the sect.

My other hand is tattooed with the heart sutra mantra
In siddham script.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My taijiquan 4 elements on the outside of the taiji and earth in the middle

My Xingyiquan (anf TCM) all 5 elements on the outside of the Taiji

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue's tattoos hurt people. :eek:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You have tattoos xue?

Nope, he was talking about a taiji and 4 elements when I know there to be 5 based on the stuff I do and I was just throwing in my two cents

Heck with my Taijiquan and the taiji used there are 5 elements and 8 directions and it is done on the Taoist version of compass directions so it gets complicated.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, he was talking about a taiji and 4 elements when I know there to be 5 based on the stuff I do and I was just throwing in my two cents

Heck with my Taijiquan and the taiji used there are 5 elements and 8 directions and it is done on the Taoist version of compass directions so it gets complicated.

I've got a yum/yeurng on my right ankle

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Incidentially, I don't get the "tattoos hurt" fears. That was my first, but it was 7 hours in the chair. I'd describe it as nothing worse than a focused vibration. By the end, the underlying tissues were bruised enough to make it slightly tender to the pressure, but it was never what I'd call painful. Obviously, some areas are more sensitive than others, and I suspect that tattoos applied in areas where there is little tissue between the skin and the underlying bone would be the tenderest, but I still don't think they'd be all that painful.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK my 2 cents worth here.... and NO you do not get your money back!!! all sales final! no refunds!! so hand over the common cents ./.2 of them!! :uhyeah:.. ok, on tattoo's, I do not know any one who by the time they are 40 do not regret them, but more importantly you are going to be stuck by a needle or needles how many times??! blood born pathogens ring a bell? and getting rid of one if you change your mind hurts a lot!so think carefully.... If you do do it, make sure that the person doing it knows what they are doing , fallow all safety and wound care rules, and DO NOT REUSE NEEDLES!!! also that the ink is a new vial as well, still sealed and all!!!! good luck you may need it.:soapbox:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK my 2 cents worth here.... and NO you do not get your money back!!! all sales final! no refunds!! so hand over the common cents ./.2 of them!! :uhyeah:.. ok, on tattoo's, I do not know any one who by the time they are 40 do not regret them, but more importantly you are going to be stuck by a needle or needles how many times??! blood born pathogens ring a bell? and getting rid of one if you change your mind hurts a lot!so think carefully.... If you do do it, make sure that the person doing it knows what they are doing , fallow all safety and wound care rules, and DO NOT REUSE NEEDLES!!! also that the ink is a new vial as well, still sealed and all!!!! good luck you may need it.:soapbox:

Assuming you're going to a reputable shop rather than doing it your basement with a pen and paper clip, your fears are groundless.
Needles are sterile, one use.
Ink is decanted into small vials and leftover ink is tossed in the trash.
I'm 50 and don't regret my ink, so you can remove that statement too :)
Pain is relative. I spent 7 hours in the chair getting the tattoo I posted in this thread. It didn't hurt.
Blood borne pathogens are not an issue in a reputable shop, any more than they are in your local ER. And for basically the same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

Latest Discussions