Yale's latest gift to anti-semitism

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yale's latest gift to anti-semitism

By ABBY WISSE SCHACHTER
Last Updated: 12:37 AM, June 7, 2011
Posted: 10:05 PM, June 6, 2011 New York Post EXCERPT:

Yale University last week killed the Yale Initiative for the Interdisciplin ary Study of Antisemitism -- the only program of its kind in the country, an academically stellar one-stop anti-Semitism research shop. Worse, it almost certainly did so because YIISA refused to ignore the most virulent, genocidal and common form of Jew-hatred today: Muslim anti-Semitism.
Citing an official review by a faculty committee that it refuses to identify, Yale will shut down the program at the end of next month. The university's top flack, Director of Strategic Communications Charles "Robin" Hogen, wrote an e-mail claiming that YIISA had failed a key test: It was supposed to "serve the research and teaching interests of some significant group of Yale faculty and . . . be sustained by the creative energy of a critical mass of Yale faculty."

Funny, last year, at YIISA's hugely successful inaugural conference on global anti-Semitism, Yale Deputy Provost Frances Rosenbluth said just the opposite, noting that YIISA was "guided by an outstanding group of scholars from all over the university representing many different disciplines," including professors of history, sociology, comparative languages, psychiatry, economics and political science.
Actually, Hogen's e-mail itself contradicts Yale's stated excuse: He notes that "the steering committee did express continued support for the faculty reading group on anti-Semitism." Plus, "institutional support will remain for the group of faculty who wish to continue their scholarly exploration of this important subject."
Which is it -- no faculty interested in studying anti-Semitism, or lots of faculty interest in studying anti-Semitism?
It apparently depends on which anti-Semitism. Christian anti-Semitism is fine; political Jew-hatred, like communist or fascist anti-Semitism, no problem. But get anywhere near Muslim or Middle Eastern anti-Semitism, as presenters at YIISA's conference did last year, and you've crossed the line.
Yale certainly got an earful after the conference. The PLO representative in America scolded the school's president, Richard Levin, complaining of the
attention paid to anti-Semitism among Palestinians and Muslims.
"It's shocking that a respected institution like Yale would give a platform to these right-wing extremists and their odious views," PLO "Ambassador" Maen Rashid Areikat wrote. "I urge you to publicly dissociate yourself and Yale University from the anti-Arab extremism and hate-mongering that were on display during this conference."
Other attacks came from left-wing bloggers and anti-Israel bigots, as well as one Yale law student who complained about the conference's potential dangers.

END EXCERPT

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing is, of Christian Anti-antisemitism, Political antisemitism and Muslim antisemitism, only one group is actively killing Jews...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing is, of Christian Anti-antisemitism, Political antisemitism and Muslim antisemitism, only one group is actively killing Jews...

at this time...

But really not on a large scale either (dreadfully, Adolf the Unnecessary set a mile marker that will hopefully never be reached again!)

I don't think that you can call it Muslim -antisemitism either though:
For most parts, it's political grand standing, only a few deranged (and maybe desperate) people take up arms and bombs to mess things up. Certainly the money flows from the show-boaters to those who do, but it really accomplishes nothing.
In most other parts of the world (even in countries that spout the antisemitic crap) there are Jewish communities, always have been.
And from what I have heard it always has been peaceful coexistence.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at this time...

But really not on a large scale either (dreadfully, Adolf the Unnecessary set a mile marker that will hopefully never be reached again!)

I don't think that you can call it Muslim -antisemitism either though:
For most parts, it's political grand standing, only a few deranged (and maybe desperate) people take up arms and bombs to mess things up. Certainly the money flows from the show-boaters to those who do, but it really accomplishes nothing.
In most other parts of the world (even in countries that spout the antisemitic crap) there are Jewish communities, always have been.
And from what I have heard it always has been peaceful coexistence.
Actually Stalin kicked his *** in that department, but it was to feed his army.
Sean

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since Arabs (the Muslim majority) make up a larger percentage of Semitic people than Jews actually do, I find the term 'Muslim antisemitism' laughable at best, pathetic at worst.

Muslim anti-Jew, more accurate.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually Stalin kicked his *** in that department, but it was to feed his army.
Sean

<shrug>
He didn't document it as well....(I sure hope you don't mean he fed Jews to the army...)

I am also not current on the estimated numbers of the Jewish population in Russia at the time, but Nazi estimation put the numbers killed in German KZs at around 6 million - out of an estimated 10...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since Arabs (the Muslim majority) make up a larger percentage of Semitic people than Jews actually do, I find the term 'Muslim antisemitism' laughable at best, pathetic at worst.

Muslim anti-Jew, more accurate.

True...but these changes take time to propagate through the language.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-semitism

an·ti–Sem·i·tism

noun
\&#716;an-t&#275;-&#712;se-m&#601;-&#716;ti-z&#601;m, &#716;an-&#716;t&#299;-\
Definition of ANTI-SEMITISM

: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

— an·ti–Se·mit·ic adjective
— an·ti–Sem·ite noun

See anti–Semitism defined for English-language learners »

First Known Use of ANTI-SEMITISM

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
True...but these changes take time to propagate through the language.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-semitism
Yup, except when it was written Arabs weren't really a part of the equation in the western world. That definition was aimed more at western Christians of the time.

The world's changed a lot since 1882 but, unfortunately, the language hasn't changed with it.

Arabs are Semites. Even the Merriam-Webster dictionary can't change that. Of course, should that thought actually become part common consciousness, AIPAC would freak.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
<shrug>
He didn't document it as well....(I sure hope you don't mean he fed Jews to the army...)

I am also not current on the estimated numbers of the Jewish population in Russia at the time, but Nazi estimation put the numbers killed in German KZs at around 6 million - out of an estimated 10...
Stalin didn't care if you were a Jew or not. He would come to your village in the middle of winter and take your food. I have heard that over 27,000,000 people died one way or another, but mostly they starved to death. I will grant that he wasn't targeting Jews in particular.
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stalin didn't care if you were a Jew or not. He would come to your village in the middle of winter and take your food. I have heard that over 27,000,000 people died one way or another, but mostly they starved to death. I will grant that he wasn't targeting Jews in particular.
Sean

yep, can't say he was prejudice.

Latest Discussions